Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 4 Aug 18, 11:28 AM  
Link to this Post
First
I want to go now!

Planning our first trip - is this a good deal?

Hello Dibbers!

We are planning our first family trip to Walt Disney World in Florida.
From what I've read now is the time to start looking!

We would like to go late July/early August 2019. We are constrained by school holidays, which obviously puts a premium on the trip.

My wife desperately wants to stay on site, to experience the full Disney experience, we would also like to fly direct.

We are 2 adults and 2 children (1 is over 10 yrs old) and have found this deal with TUI

Sun 28 Jul 2019 East Midlands > Orlando Sanford Sun 11 Aug 2019
Flying Premium

Staying at Coronado Springs Resort

14 Day Ultimate Ticket + Free 14 Day Quick Service × 3 Adults × 1 Child

For £9130.73 (£2282.68 per person)

Obviously this is a crazy amount of money - but we are seeing this as a once in a lifetime trip!

What do you guys think? To much? Does it usually work out to be more cost effective booking separately instead of a package deal?

How do you experienced Dibbers, keep the price down?

Any advise would be truly appreciated.
First is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 18, 11:32 AM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Mobile

I would price up the cost of the hotel and tickets direct with Disney and that lets you know how much Tui are charging for flights. Then you can shop around and see if you can get them cheaper.

Trip Report Index
sha9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 18, 11:53 AM  
Link to this Post
Mrs Valentine
Imagineer

Mrs Valentine's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 21
Also, if you can go a little bit later say last two weeks of August, it will be a bit quieter as all the US kids are back at school the last two weeks of August. (more or less).
I'd price up the Disney bit with tickets, dining and the hotel and then see if you can get your flights later. Flights are pricey in August though.
Maybe check with say Charter Travel, they are really good and would do everything for you. Just so you have another couple of quotes etc.
If you fly into MCO (not Sanford) you can get the Magical Express as well, as your staying at Disney. (Just go for the cheapest Disney hotel with QSDP).

DisneyJulie
Mrs Valentine is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 18, 11:56 AM  
Link to this Post
Eeyore rocks
VIP Dibber

Eeyore rocks's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
You say it’s once in a lifetime trip...

Orlando..Feb 1998, Jun 2003, Nov 2004, Dec 2008, Nov 2009, Aug 2010, Nov 2010, Sep 2011, Nov 2012, Nov 2013, Oct 2014, Sept 2015, Nov 2015, Sept 16, Jan 2017, Nov 2017, Jan 2018, June 2018, Dec 2018, June 2019, Dec 2019, Feb 2022, May 2023, Oct 2024.

Las Vegas..Dec 1998, Jan 2002, Jan 2004, Jan 2005, May 2006, Mar 2009, Apr 2011, Jan 2012, Aug 2012, Jan 2013, Feb 2014, Feb 2015 Feb 2016, Nov 2016.

New York...Nov 2018, Dec 2021.
Eeyore rocks is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 18, 12:04 PM  
Link to this Post
TractorBoy
Imagineer

TractorBoy's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Eeyore rocks View Post
You say it’s once in a lifetime trip...
Think we all said that!
Old 4 Aug 18, 12:12 PM  
Link to this Post
saratogajan
Apprentice Imagineer

Just priced up flights and booking directly with Disney to show you how much you can save booking yourself. £4264 for the Disney part includes free quick service dining and had a look on Thomas cook flights as they’re already released and its £3523 from Gatwick to mco which means you can also use the magical express for your transfer. Comes in at £7787 which is a big saving. You may even get cheaper flights through sky scanner if you have a search. Hope that helps. We never book a package as never can find it cheaper so far.
saratogajan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 18, 12:12 PM  
Link to this Post
TractorBoy
Imagineer

TractorBoy's Reviews
Think you need to do a bit more research.

Have just been on the Disney site and for hotel, tickets and QSDP for the dates you said I got the following:

Coronado, 14 days ultimate tickets, quick service dining plan, $100 gift card and it came out at

£4,264.

Obviously you then have to put fights on top but with the price you got quoted there is no way they would come out at £5,000

Plus going through Disney you only pay a deposit!
Old 4 Aug 18, 12:15 PM  
Link to this Post
saratogajan
Apprentice Imagineer

Also if you want a car you can just hire one separately ( found virgin holidays cheapest at the moment) for the number of nights you want.
Also have a look at any character meals/restaurants/dinner shows on site you may want to do as may be appropriate to upgrade to table Service Meal plan.
saratogajan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 18, 12:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Elmhurst 5
Apprentice Imagineer

Once in a lifetime trip? am sure you will be hooked.

I realise that zillions of people stay on site, but its the cost that just amazes me. Its obviously cheaper if you only have one room for the family. I've thought about it many times, but we need 2 rooms and in August, mega bucks for us.

Last year I got flights x 5 + SUV for £3250. Disney tickets in the sale £1475 great bargain doubt if will be repeated and super villa x 17nights £1580.
As others have said, price up independently with other operators and if you can hold out for cheaper flights, they do come up but you have to keep watching, you can subscribe to the August 2019 flights on the dibb, eagle eyed dibbers will post details when they find them.
Whatever you decide, you will all have an absolutely fabulous time at 'the happiest place on earth' and I'm sure it wont be your one and only visit.
Elmhurst 5 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 18, 12:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
Mobile

I think your price seems high because you have chosen premium flights. This has increased your costs by £1500. For me I would wait until 11 months out and price up other airlines. Can you fly from other airports so you are not quite as restricted ?
For me personally premium has no value so I wouldn’t pay this. I would get more value from upgrading the dining plan not the flights.
Smilesonfaces is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List