Notices
Reports and Reviews for Dining and Restaurants Trip Reports

Old 30 Oct 18, 04:54 PM  
Link to this Post
2littleboys
Imagineer

2littleboys's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Great start, your poolside night looks amazing and so relaxing!
2littleboys is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Oct 18, 07:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
Great travel day, I can't wait to read about all the food you had. Those nachos look delicious.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Nov 18, 04:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill247
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by 2littleboys View Post
Great start, your poolside night looks amazing and so relaxing!
It was so nice! Looking back I wish we had more opportunities to just chill at the pool

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
Great travel day, I can't wait to read about all the food you had. Those nachos look delicious.
They were so yummy!
Day 1 coming up!
Gill247 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Nov 18, 05:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill247
Excited about Disney

Day 1 - Hash House a Go Go, Toothsome Deserts and Random Target Pics with an evening dinner fail!

Having been awake since 6am we drove to Hash House a Go Go for it opening at 8am. It was only a 5 minute drive from Sapphire Falls.

We had a lovely server who recommended their famous fried chicken. The menu (and portions) are huge!

We ordered;

DH - Andy's Sage Fried Chicken (with maple reduction, 2 eggs, bacon mashed potatoes and a biscuit) and a coffee
Me - Sage Fried Chicken and Waffles (twp sage fried chicken breasts with hardwood smoked bacon waffle tower, hot maple reduction and fried leeks) and a pineapple juice
DD - Kids Pancake Combo (choc chip pancake with one scrambled egg and sausage) and a pineapple juice

It was all so delicious! DH made a good dent into his and really enjoyed it. DD ate her sausage and egg and a few bites of pancake but it was really far too much for her! I ate some of her pancake and it really was delicious, warm and fluffy and the whipped butter and syrup were sooo nice!
My chicken and waffles were gorgeous but so so much! I ate one of the chicken breasts and one waffle, but then hit a wall and I felt so bad leaving so much food! The leeks were actually the stand out, I couldn't get enough of them and really want to try them at home.

So stuffed we paid up and waddled back to car! I had bought a Travelzoo voucher before the holiday - It was a $50 value to spend in HHAGG but cost $27.50 I think. So the voucher actually covered all but $2.50 of the bill so we just needed to leave that plus the tip. A great thing if your like me and like to pay as much of holiday expenses ahead of time.

We drove straight to the outlets on International Drive for them opening at 10am. We picked up some great bargains in Character Warehouse, Michael Kors and Bath and Body Works. We passed a Tollhouse Cafe and Belle spotted the ice cream sign so she picked a cone with gummy bear toppings, this with a bottle of water was about $9

Back at the hotel pool for a few hours to chill. We topped up the refill mug several times. There was a coke freestyle machine beside the pool so we didn't have to go far. DH tried various fruit concoctions while I stuck to 'boring' diet coke

It was another gorgeous day at the pool. I've included a photo of the fire pit which is lit at night and they sell smores kits in the shop

We got freshened up and got the water taxi over to City Walk and to Toothsome Chocolate Emporium

Despite City Walk being really busy we were seated straight away and got a lovely table at the window. We told the server we were only in for desert and she said this was no problem, and brought us each an iced water. We ordered to share;

- Confetti Milkshake (Vanilla ice cream, confetti cake, vanilla buttercream frosting, rainbow sprinkles, fresh whipped cream)
- S'mores Sundae (Chocolate ice cream, chocolate sauce, marshmallow cream, graham crackers, jumbo marshmallow s’more)
- Diet Coke
£28.54 plus tip

These were gorgeous! We finished the s'mores sundae and half of the milkshake before admitting defeat. You get to keep the milkshake tumbler but it was really sticky so the server was happy to give me a new clean one to take away.

We had a look in the shop downstairs, such beautiful looking treats but it was really busy and there isn't prices on anything (a bug bear of mine) so we didn't buy anything.

After a look around City Walk we picked up the car back at the hotel and drove to Mall of Millenia with the intention of having a look around Target then having dinner at Cheesecake Factory.

We ended up spending a couple of hours in Target. I loved looking at the home things and DD loved the toy section picking up a couple of things. They had a huge Halloween section, so many costumes, decorations and a couple of aisles dedicated to all the Halloween food...

We spent about $100 but only about $40 on food. We got 50 bottles of water (about $4 for 25 bottles of Dasani) plus some snacks, beer for DH and things to bring home

By the time we finished at Target we were flagging and realised if we went to Cheesecake Factory we would probably fall asleep at the table. DD had spotted a McDonalds in the Target carpark and was excited to try a Happy Meal in America (it really isn't too different!). By the time we went through the drivethru and ordered her meal she had fallen asleep!

I spotted a Panda Express so DH drove me over there and I picked up a meal of Sesame Chicken, Orange Chicken, Rice and Noodles ($11).
We drove back to Sapphire Falls and I jumped into bed and ate this - it was really yummy!

DD woke up back at hotel and ate her luke warm Happy Meal, it made her happy!

DH hadn't fancied anything at Panda Express so he went down to the Dutch Trading Co at hotel and picked up a Pepperoni Pizza. In my tired state I forgot to take a photo He said it was hot, fresh and just what he wanted with one of his beers from Target.

Although not the night we had planned it was lovely to jump into bed with our take aways and watch some American tv (Dream Lottery House - we became so hooked on this show! )

*We do make it to Cheesecake Factory later in trip too!
Gill247 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Nov 18, 06:33 PM  
Link to this Post
wilma-bride
Imagineer

wilma-bride's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Wow, great food-filled day! I loved HHAGG in Vegas, but still haven't been to the one in Orlando yet. Maybe we will add this to our plans for next summer. Those hakes at Toothsome are just huge, my son barely managed half of his. And finishing the day with Panda Express -yum yum.
wilma-bride is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Nov 18, 07:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Skittl1321
Getting Excited

Those milk shakes are insane- a full piece of cake!

I think that fast food was a sensible choice. (Plus I like Panda Express.) I think we feel pressured to fit everything in on vacation, and making sure to do all the fun things makes it stressful. Skipping Cheesecake Factory this day sounds like the right choice.
Skittl1321 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Nov 18, 08:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill247
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by wilma-bride View Post
Wow, great food-filled day! I loved HHAGG in Vegas, but still haven't been to the one in Orlando yet. Maybe we will add this to our plans for next summer. Those hakes at Toothsome are just huge, my son barely managed half of his. And finishing the day with Panda Express -yum yum.
DH and I had been to HHAGG in Vegas too, but forgot just how big the portions are. Loved the Orlando one and its top of our list for next trip.

Shakes are huge aren't they! I'm glad we only got one of these and one sundae to share between 3 - this was more than enough!

Thanks for reading!

Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
Those milk shakes are insane- a full piece of cake!

I think that fast food was a sensible choice. (Plus I like Panda Express.) I think we feel pressured to fit everything in on vacation, and making sure to do all the fun things makes it stressful. Skipping Cheesecake Factory this day sounds like the right choice.
I know, the server brought a plate and forks so we lifted the cake onto that to eat, it was delicious!

I think planning two sit down meals on our first day had been too ambitious but like you say I felt pressure to fit in as much as possible. We definitely learnt to go with the flow and ended up rearranging plans even in Disney (after all the stress of booking ADRs I meticulously planned and booked at 180 days out) - but surprisingly we found it easy to modify and find even hard to get ADRs (like O'hanas) a few days out. It all works out how its suppose to in the end!

Thanks so much for reading x
Old 1 Nov 18, 09:12 PM  
Link to this Post
GezzasGem
Imagineer

Mobile

Oo that breakfast at Hash House A Go Go...yum! We are doing similar trip to yourselves next year, 2 nights at Hard rock then 14 at AKL on DDP and our DD will be 7 - this is giving me some great ideas! 😊👍
GezzasGem is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Nov 18, 09:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
Your DD is so cute behind her shake!

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Nov 18, 10:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill247
Excited about Disney

Day 2 - Voodoo Donuts, Publix and moving on to DDP with Beaches and Cream

Our original plan this morning had been to go to Kekes for breakfast on way to moving to Disney, but we had loved getting the water taxi over to City Walk so much the day before we decided to do this again and headed to Voodoo Donuts. I had heard so many great reports about Voodoo since it opened last year and it didn't disappoint!

The ordering system inside the shop is a bit convoluted. You wait in the first queue, while pursing the carousel of donuts, then order your donuts and any drinks. They give you a ticket to go to a second queue to pay. Then you go to a third queue to wait for your order.

After much deliberating we decided on 6 donuts following the thought of 'we are on holiday, we need to try as many as possible' We ordered;
Maple Bar
Pride Bar
Sprinkles Cake
Portland Creme
Orangesicle (this is a Orlando Universal exclusive)
Voodoo Doll
Apple Juice and Coffee
$20.43 (some donuts are priced at $1.60 which I think is really reasonable by City Walk prices).

I ate the Voodoo Doll, it was really soft and fresh with a gorgeous chocolate icing, so delicious! DH ate the Portland Creme and Pride Bar and declared them both amazing if a bit sickly sweet (he gobbled the two very quickly ) DD had a bite of them all! What we didn't eat we took back to the hotel in the big pink box they came in. I later tried the Maple Bar and it was gorgeous too, I love anything maple flavoured and don't think we get it enough in the UK!

Inside Voodoo is quite small but there is a few tables and chairs so we sat in here, it made for a lovely relaxed breakfast.

We decided we still had time before 11am check out to nip to Publix (at Dr Philips). We didn't need anything urgently but I love an American Supermarket so wanted to fit in as many trips as possible (sad I know, but Tesco / Morrisons just don't compare!) This was a lovely store, comparable I think to a Waitrose here. More expensive than Target.

I love the displays in American Supermarkets, they really make an effort to make everything look really appealing!

We picked up a few other bits for snacking on / taking home. DH sometimes travels to San Diego with work and is obsessed with cheesy cracker style snacks. He likes to stock up every time he is in the US now so we took quite a few of these home!

We dashed back to hotel to check out and before long we were heading under that beautiful WDW sign! Disney DDP here we come!

On checking in to Beach Club we picked up our resort mugs and were lucky enough to get the much sought after Halloween mugs! (In the 2 weeks I never thought to take a pic so here in one from Disney Food Blog!)

We spent a couple of hours in a crazy busy Epcot (Saturday during F&W and packed with stag and hen parties). We stopped at La Cantina de San Angel in Mexico Pavillion for some quick service and ordered to share;

-Tacos de Pollo (Seasoned chicken, homemade corn tortillas, mexican rice, refried black beans and red salsa)
-Nachos (Tortilla Chips topped with ground beef, nacho cheese, tomatoes, jalapenos, beans and sour cream)
- Churros with caramel sauce
- Diet Coke
- Mango Frozen Margarita
- Free Iced Water

This came to $43.99 but we used 2 QS credits and a snack credit for the churros.

It was all really yummy! We got extra sour cream at the counter, and got little pots of salsa (mild and hot) at the self serve area. We sat outside on the terrace overlooking world showcase and just enjoyed that lovely feeling of being on holiday. The homemade tortillas were gorgeous, they had a lovely flavour. The churros were warm and crispy but the caramel was a bit too runny. The mango margarita was strong! But so good. Big thumbs up for our first DDP meal!

Later that night we went downstairs for our ADR at Beaches and Cream. We checked in at the podium outside and were seated straight away. I had heard it was small inside but didn't realise just how small, with only about 5 tables, 3 booths and some chairs at the bar. No wonder its so hard to get an ADR!

We ordered;
DH - Turkey Club Sandwich (with bacon, lettuce, tomato, and mayonaise on toasted white bread) and a New Belgium Fat Tire Ale.

Me - Grilled Cheese and Tomato Bisque and a S'mores Cocktail (chocolate and vanilla ice cream, amarula cream liqueur and bols creme de dark cacao topped with marshamallow, chocolate sauce and graham crackers)

DD - Kids Mac & Cheese and Lemonade

DH enjoyed his club sandwich and said it was just the right amount of food. DD loved her mac n cheese *spoiler* its pretty much all she orders for the next 2 weeks

My tomato bisque was lovely, really flavourful and I enjoyed dipping the gooey grilled cheese sandwich into it. The s'mores cocktail was gorgeous, so so decadent! I thought it would be a small drink maybe in a cocktail glass, but was huge!

For dessert;
DH - Old Fashioned Sundae (with vanilla ice cream and caramel sauce)

DD - Yogurt (strawberry) it was served in a bowl and didn't look very appealing so I didn't take a pic but DD enjoyed.

Me - After the S'mores cocktail I didn't feel like dessert so got the Chocolate Cake to go.

We really enjoyed this ADR. It's really not expensive so probably a good one to do if paying out of pocket. We enjoyed being able to go somewhere within our hotel on our first night in Disney and as we had taken our swimsuits with us we headed straight to Stormalong Bay afterwards which was ideal.

The total was $83.92 (plus tip) but we used 3 TS Credits here.

DDP Overview
3 TS Used
2 QS Used
1 SC Used
3 Mugs Activated
Total Value Used - $184.88