Reports and Reviews for Dining and Restaurants Trip Reports

Old 30 Oct 18, 04:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Scotscraig
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

Scotscraig's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 3
‘We’re not gonna’ make it, we’re not gonna’ make it….’ 2018 Food report with DDP - NOW COMPLETE

Ok, here we are with the 2018 edition covering our October 2018 trip. This was our fourth trip on the dining plan so we knew what to expect. Travelling this year were DW and I and our 13 year old DS(very nearly 14) and boy can he eat, and my in laws who were back for their second visit.

We were doing 15 nights this year, with 1st night at Floridays in a 3 bed condo and the other 14 nights in a 2 bed villa at SSR.

To explain the title, you really need to have ridden Dinosaur at AK but this best summed up the Dining plan for me, although as we did in previous years, we somehow managed to use all of our credits despite the vast quantity of food on offer. We tried one of two new options this year which meant a few old favourites missed out (Trails End and Tusker House being the main casualties!).

As you will see, we are a bit camera shy, but no one want to see photos of us anyway, only the food.

So without further ado, let’s get on with it….

Edited at 09:13 PM.
Scotscraig is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Oct 18, 05:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Scotscraig

Scotscraig's Reviews
Pre - travel day

This was a day off for DW and I however DS much to his disgust had a full day of school to endure.

As we usually do, we had booked the Premier Inn near to Edinburgh Airport so that we were nearby for the early morning flight the next day and so we popped over to our local butcher for some supplies for later.

DW and I for some reason fancied some steak and gravy pies for lunch and man, these were so good…..

We took some filled baguettes – egg mayo and ham/cheese for the boy (DW to her disgust ordered hers too late and they had run out so had to make do with a chicken tikka roll!). We took these to the Premier Inn and scoffed them with some beers and crisps and dips.

We then managed some Belgian biscuits and a doughnut for the laddie.

A good healthy way to start the holiday before an early night….
Food trip report Oct 2017 with DDP
Food trip report Oct 2018 with DDP

DL 1995, WDW 1998, 2001, Sheraton Vistana Villages 2012, Sheraton Vistana Resort 2014, HRH/WL 2015, WL 2016, AKL 2017, SSR 2018, Newport Bay DLP 2019, Sheraton Vistana Resort 2019
Scotscraig is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Oct 18, 05:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Scotscraig

Scotscraig's Reviews
Travel day

We had brought some snacks with us which was just as well as there was a delay due to fog at LGW where our Edinburgh flight was to land which didn’t allow us any time for coffee/food there.

LGW to me is always a nightmare anyway and the security always manic. We managed to make our next flight however (with an hours delay). After a quick snack bag of pretzels and a drink

the food was served relatively quickly and surprisingly for BA the food wasn’t bad.

The choices were ‘chicken tikka massala’ or ‘penne pasta’ according to the air steward who had the broadest Brummie accent you have ever heard…..

Tikka masala all round for us which wasn’t bad, the roll to our shock was soft and not the usual one you could hammer nails in with however the salad was the usual fare – ie take one bite, choke a bit and screw your face up and then cover up again for binning later.

We kept going with some snacks of our own until later in the flight when the standard chicken Caesar pieces came round and before landing the mini magnums.

We were flying on one of the refurbed planes and although clearly less space, the experience was pretty good, the IFE was definitely better than previous years with a decent enough choice of movies, TV and games.

We arrived to an almost deserted MCO immigration hall (result!) and were quickly through security/baggage and onto the car lot and driving out onto the 417 in what seemed like 45 mins….

After arrival at Floridays we dumped the cases and headed round Vineland to one of our old favourites, The Longhorns. Unfortunately we were told it was a 30 min wait which became a 45 min wait and resulted in several visits to the check in desk. DS was struggling at this point, having been up since 4am and was almost sleeping at the table by the time we were seated (he still scoffed all his food though... .

We had joined the Longhorns Club which gave us a coupon for an appetizer and we all shared a Texas Tonion which came with a zesty dip. This was really good and was very quickly pounced on by 5 rather ravenous souls along with the bread….

FIL and I then had the Flo’s filet with baked spud

DW the parmesan crusted chicken

DS the Steakhouse burger

and MIL the big sky burger
which she couldn’t finish.

Suitably stuffed and suitably knackered we settled the check and headed back to base where we collapsed into bed….

DL 1995, WDW 1998, 2001, Sheraton Vistana Villages 2012, Sheraton Vistana Resort 2014, HRH/WL 2015, WL 2016, AKL 2017, SSR 2018, Newport Bay DLP 2019, Sheraton Vistana Resort 2019

Edited at 08:42 PM.
Old 30 Oct 18, 05:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Scotscraig

Scotscraig's Reviews
Day 1

With body clocks all over the place we woke at 4am and pottered about until we got up around 6 before getting ready for checking out and heading to Disney!

Floridays was nice and the apartment was great but not as nice at the Sheraton Vistana where we have stayed previously.

We arrived at SSR after passing through those magical gates and quickly checked in and picked up our mugs. Our room wasn’t ready and so we dropped off the cases and got ready for our 1st ADR which was at The Wave at the Contemporary Resort for breakfast.

This was a new one for us but looked good on any Youtube videos or food reports we had seen.

After a short wait we were seated and our coffees/OJ’s were brought out and we tackled the buffet which is behind a hidden wall…

Our opinion was that the food was pretty good but Trails End was better and made us wish we had opted for there as a 1st day instead however you live and learn. The food to me wasn’t the hottest and maybe not as large a selection. It wasn’t in any way bad, just not outstanding. Pick of the options were the devilled eggs and the pancakes.

Today’s plan was to now head to MK for a couple of hours to savour the atmosphere. Still pretty stuffed from breakfast we just opted for coffees from Starbucks using snack credits which we drank in our wee hidey hole in the cul-de-sac half way down Main St.

We then nipped out of the park to drive to Publix for a few essentials, including some Reece’s chocolate ice cream sauces to take home!

We had held back our fast pass options for later in the day for HS and after checking in to our room at SSR we headed there.

HS in recent times has been a bit a ‘mare for quick service options and so we opted for the Backlot express where Chicken nuggets, hot dogs and burgers were polished off along with our 1st alcohol on the DDP.

Unfortunately the Angry Orchard was no longer on the menu much to DW’s dismay (she wasn’t having any luck!). Food was fine although nothing special.

We had decided this was to be our night for Fantasmic (using a FP) and discovered the FP was a bit of a waste (given we were miles off to the left) and took in some ice cream snacks from Hollywood Scoops. I had the Apple pie version. We were scoffing them as we walked to avoid them becoming soup...

They were pretty tasty though….

Edited at 08:44 PM.
Old 30 Oct 18, 06:00 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Great start! Looking forward to the rest!

Trip Report Index
sha9 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Oct 18, 07:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Scotscraig

Scotscraig's Reviews
Day 2

Some drama to start the day! Due to a buzzing noise in the electrical room which backed on to the in laws bedroom, this kept them awake all night. We enquired at Guest Services, who advised we could move room but it wouldn’t be until tomorrow which put the day off to a bad start given we had all unpacked and settled well the night before.

We tried to put this behind us however and after some cereal at the villa it was off to Epcot today. After a first go on Soarin’ I headed to Starbucks and got some Venti lattes whilst the others headed to Sunshine Seasons.

We ordered the snacks below which were washed down with the coffees. All very good. The Danish in particular were magic. DW also gave the 7 layer bar a thumbs up. DS had a chocolate muffin.

This kept us going until lunchtime when we headed out for the drive to AKL for our ADR at Sanaa at 1225. We have eaten here twice before with mixed results and we decided to give lunch a go this time.

If truth be told were in the mood due to the previous night’s drama and lack of sleep however the food was not good, well certainly not what I ate and I apologise for the lack/quality of photos.

DW and I opted for the Tandoori chicken sandwich, which is served on an open naan bread. This arrived lukewarm at best and the quality of meat was not high. The chicken was pretty tough, dry and not pleasant.

Given the mood around the table wasn’t great we didn’t make a deal out of it (which we probably should have). The in laws had the Boerewores Sandwich which wasn’t much better (sorry no pics). DS had the burger which he said was OK.

The desserts were pretty good however. I had the Serradura, the butterscotch pudding which was lovely. DW and MIL had the candy bar which they said was OK (again pic failure I'm afraid)

After a good chat, which perked us up we returned back to SSR and packed our cases again in readiness for the move tomorrow and bussed to MK.

Tonights plan was to tour the monorail resorts and finish with Happily Ever After in the MK.

We visited the Grand Floridian where we used the cool coke refills before monorailing to the Contemporary for tea at the Contempo Café, one of our favourite QS options.

Food as ever here was really good, fresh, hot and tasty.

DW and I shared a barbeque chicken flatbread and a Chicago Italian beef sub which came with fries.

FIL also had the beef sub and MIL the hot turkey sandwich.

DS opted for the meat lovers flatbread. He also subbed his drink for a dirt and worms puddy as did MIL.

The rest of us had alcohol with ours, an Angry Orchard for DW, Miller Lite for me and Coors light for FIL. We finished off an at times fraught day with the brilliant Happily Ever After and so the day ended on a high note.

Old 30 Oct 18, 07:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Scotscraig

Scotscraig's Reviews
Day 3

Today was supposed to be a lie in but with a room move to sort out we were up early and finished re-packing and left our cases with Bell Services (including our stocked fridge!).

We then walked to Wolfgang Puck for breakfast. The Server didn’t instantly win us over by lobbying hard for her tip before she had even done anything. Her entire effort in any case consisted of – being handed the food by another member of staff (at the entrance to that part of the restaurant and then putting the food onto the table – the cutlery etc had been brought out by someone else!).

I had the Cornflake French toast – pretty dry and a bit average if honest

everyone else waffles other than FIL who had the classic breakfast and pretty good all round

I've just noticed that the FIL's breakfast has been arranged in a funny way. Maybe the staff were trying to tell him something!

We were then off to Animal Kingdom.

Around lunchtime, we decided to have a snack (like we needed one!). MIL had a Dole Whip cup which she loved

and the rest of had ice cream cookie sandwiches from Tamu Tamu refeshments.

These, as always were great but way too much and we probably should have shared 2 between 4. Some of it ended up in the bin I’m afraid to say.

After the Lion King show finished we popped into the Dawa Bar for a round of drinks – Bud lights all round, an Angry Orchard for DW and a diet coke for the young lad. This was a pleasant half hour just chilling out before our ADR at the Yak & Yeti.

We had a magic meal here last year and we had high expectations and thankfully it didn’t disappoint. We were all in a much better frame of mind tonight and we started with some cocktails which were delicious.

I had the Pina Colada Tropical Daiquiri
DW, the Big Bamboo and we shared each others.
MIL, the Mango Tropical Daiquiri
FIL the Pink Himalayan

DS had a diet coke.

We could have used my Landry’s card which had a $25 birthday bonus for appetizers but we correctly assessed there was no way we would be able to eat it all! We were correct….

For the mains, DW, FIL and I all had the Chicken Tikka Masala which was superb, pleasantly spicy with lovely buttery naan on the side. The plates were literally licked clean…..

MIL had the sweet and sour chicken

and DS the burger. Both gave high praise.

For desserts, I had the pineapple upside down cake, as did FIL

MIL and DW, the mango pie which DW was gutted about not finishing

and DS the chocolate pudding cake.

This was a superb meal and special praise has to go to our server Hector who was a gentleman throughout and gave excellent service.

We decided to give Rivers of Light a miss in order to head back to SSR where we were able to check into our new villa and get settled for the night.

Old 30 Oct 18, 07:44 PM  
Link to this Post
mjic4
Getting Excited

Fantastic. Will be reading along looking for suggestions for our next trip.
Old 30 Oct 18, 07:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
I love that you made it to Longhorns on your travel day, you must have been shattered by the end of it.

A shame the lunch at Sanaa wasn't up to scratch.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Oct 18, 08:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Scotscraig

Scotscraig's Reviews
Day 4

We were in the Paddock section at SSR and popped next door to the pool to use the Paddock grill for some snacks for breakfast. Sadly there was not a lot of choice however we opted for some pastries and muffins which were pretty good.

We then headed off to Typhoon Lagoon for the morning where mid morning we stopped for a couple of portions of mini doughnuts and some chocolate sauce using a couple of snack credits.

Lunch today was Earl of Sandwich at Disney Springs. As ever service was pretty swift and the food excellent. Orginals all round except for MIL – tuna melt and a pizza sandwich for DS.

We had one potato salad as a side and potato chips for everyone else.

Now, this is where it gets interesting. We love Ghiardellis and headed there. We then discovered that the use of the dining plan had changed. Basically, you can use a snack credit up to $6.18 and can combine however many credits to cover your order. DW got to work to make the best use of the value and enjoyed various combinations (with toppings) to make up the value.

I Suggest you bring a calculator if you are going. The ice cream is superb however and the Espresso in particular about as good as it gets.

After showering and getting changed we bussed to Epcot to spend the late afternoon/evening.

FIL and I enjoyed a beer whilst the ladies had a Margarita from the stand in Mexico

before we sauntered around for our ADR at Biergarten. This was one we had some discussion about given on our previous visit here the food was average but the night itself was really good.

We were shown to our table where we were sat with a young American couple, who tuned out to be lovely company and a lady on her own, who I’m afraid didn’t seem to be from this planet. It was quite entertaining however!

The buffet was tackled and much like our previous visit was a bit hit or miss. The beef was pretty good and was the pick of the bunch.

Desserts were pretty naff though….

We had been sat pretty far from the band and so the entertainment probably wasn’t quite as good as the last time. We sat talking to the American couple for a while whilst the single lady arrived back with her fourth and fifth plates from the buffet…..She then announced to my FIL (who had been tactically seated next to her without his knowledge) that she was planning to hang around for a seat at another table for more later during the next sitting!

I noted the bill came to more than $250 which to me is a total rip off for what is offered at this restaurant. Thankfully it only cost us 5 TS credits.

Lovely chilled day though...