Notices
Reports and Reviews for Dining and Restaurants Trip Reports

Old 5 Dec 18, 01:13 PM  
Link to this Post
foodie53
Proud to wear my Ears

Mobile

I so look forward to and enjoy reading your food report. I will avoid Christmas On The Beach - I love cocktails but not too sweet ones - so thank you for that information. Keep on enjoying!
foodie53 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Dec 18, 07:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Wordsworth
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by foodie53 View Post
I so look forward to and enjoy reading your food report. I will avoid Christmas On The Beach - I love cocktails but not too sweet ones - so thank you for that information. Keep on enjoying!
Thank you, that is nice of you to say! I used to enjoy a sweet cocktail in my younger years but my tastes have definitely changed as I’ve got older.
Wordsworth is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Dec 18, 07:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Wordsworth
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Day 9

Or Saturday, as others may know it.

This morning we hit up Hollywood Studios again, we had a FP for Alien Swirling Saucers. This was cute - I love the aliens from Toy Story - but not worth some of the massive wait times it’s been posting. We also had FPs for Rock n Roller Coaster and (my favourite) Tower of Terror.

As we were in the general area, we decided to grab lunch from Fairfax Fare and spent 2 QS credits on:

Empanadas Platter - Beef Empanadas served with Cilantro Rice, Black Beans, Fire-roasted Corn Medley and Sour Cream,

and

Mojo Pulled Pork Sandwich - Latin-inspired Pulled Pork topped with Peppers and Onions served with Fire-roasted Corn Medley and Sweet Plantains.

We shared these items and really enjoyed them, it’s the kind of street food fare we like. As there wasn’t a sauce on the pulled pork sandwich I was worried it would be dry, but it wasn’t at all, it was beautifully moist. The corn was also delicious and a nice change of side.

DH had Coke while I took advantage of the ability to get an alcoholic drink on the QS credit and chose a Red Stag Black Cherry Bourbon Lemonade - Lemonade mixed with Jim Beam Red Stag Black Cherry Bourbon. My drink was much sweeter than I expected it would be (I thought with that lemonade it would be more balanced flavour-wise) and I wouldn’t order it again.

To make up for my disappointment (ahem), on our way to do Star Tours, I paid OOP for one of these beauties.

A frozen golden margarita with a salt rim. Now that’s more like it!

After Star Tours and Muppets 3D, we decided to head back to the hotel, but still managed to spend some snack credits at Backlot Express on the way. We spent 3 on a bottle of water and, rather more excitingly, two Flurry of Fun items:

Chocolate Chestnut Pinecone - Chocolate Chestnut Cream shaped as a Pinecone on a Praline Leaf

and

Frozen Hot Cocoa Slushy - Frosted Marshmallow Frozen Chocolate Slushy.

The slushy itself was very light on chocolate flavour, which somehow managed to be both pleasant and disappointing. It sounds weird, I know, but both DH and I thought so!

The pinecone, however, was delicious. We loved the cream although we were confused that the base is described as a praline - it’s a cornflake cake!

We spent some time at the hotel then made our way to the Magic Kingdom. I was conscious that due to all of the Christmas parties, tonight was one of our few chances to see Happily Ever After, and I thought that as it was a Saturday it would be packed. As such I’d decided to book a dessert party - at least we would get a (relatively) good view without too much stress! Having previously done the Tomorrowland Terrace party for Wishes, I went with the Plaza Garden option this time.

We had to check in at 7.30 and it was a complete madhouse, as there were different queues for the different parties while other people without reservations also tried to get in! We were shown to our table at about 7.40 and over the next hour, had a selection of the following:

The cheese was mostly rubbery but I liked the cheeseburger rolls with secret sauce (I probably didn’t need 4 though!) and we enjoyed sharing the ooey gooey toffee cake although it didn’t look that great on the plate!

We were led to the garden through a sweating mass of people at about 8.40; we were one of the last groups to go but had a good view and enjoyed the show! And we were definitely done for the day food-wise.
Wordsworth is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Dec 18, 08:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
That pine cone looks so cute! I'm assuming it's a special seasonal menu item and so is only on sale over the Christmas holiday period...I'd love to try it.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Dec 18, 10:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Wordsworth
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
That pine cone looks so cute! I'm assuming it's a special seasonal menu item and so is only on sale over the Christmas holiday period...I'd love to try it.
It is for the Xmas period and I was reading on one of the blogs that they’re selling out daily, so we may have been lucky to get one!
Old 6 Dec 18, 11:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Wordsworth
Very Serious Dibber

Day 10

Time for Sunday brunch!

We had a lazy start to the day before making our way over to the Contemporary by boat from WL. Our ADR wasn’t until 11.35 but I planned in a lot of contingency time given the boat stops at Fort Wilderness first and when we went via there to MK, we had to wait 10 minutes to be able to dock. This trip was much smoother, though, which meant we had about 40 minutes looking around the hotel - DH really liked the artwork but the gingerbread house isn’t as impressive as GF - before checking in for our ADR 5 minutes ahead of time.

We were sent up to the lounge area to wait, where we were given our brunch cocktails - these were actually just champagne with boba balls. I don’t know why DH’s were floating while mine were sunken but I’m sure it’s a metaphor for something...

We only waited about 5 minutes before being shown to our table. Our server went over everything with us regarding the buffet then explained that we should let him know when we wanted to order our entrees, which would take about 15 minutes to cook. With that in mind, we headed off to the buffet!

My tastes have definitely become more savoury as I’ve aged and I think my two buffet plates reflect that.

The cheese was marginally better than the dessert party stuff, but I would really have liked a softer, non-blue cheese alongside it. (Let’s be honest, I wanted Brie, I like Brie.) A thicker cracker would have gone down a storm too.

I really liked all of the sushi here, so fresh and delicious, and while I didn’t think the shrimp tempura roll really needed the sweet mango sauce it was an interesting change from the usual style of this roll.

I also found room for a parfait - one of the pre-assembled ones rather than a make your own version - before we ordered our entrees.

I had been tempted by the carrot cake pancakes on a previous menu but those were no longer listed, so instead I decided to try a dish that seemed like a classic I’d never tried.

Chicken and Waffles - Cornmeal Waffle, Crispy-fried Chicken, Piquillo Pepper, Chicken-Sausage Gravy, Blood Orange Syrup.

This was nice - the chicken was crispy although I did think it could have been crisper, and while the waffle wasn’t up to much on its own it worked well when eaten with the chicken. The gravy was peppery and I loved the piquillo peppers, but don’t remember blood orange at all. I ate about 3/4s before being defeated.

DH went for the Chef's Omelette Selection with Three Eggs and Sage Fingerling Potatoes. He chose the Garden - Herb Crème Fraîche, Tomatoes, Spinach, Baby Squash, Mushrooms, Midnight Moon Goat Cheese. I don’t know why he chose this as he hates goats cheese, and it went as well as you might expect (I.E. not well at all). I helped by eating some of the potatoes...

DH’s mood didn’t improve when he learned we still had a dessert plate to come. He claimed to be full but somehow we still managed to eat all of these.

The macarons were my favourite but DH lucked out with the vanilla one; mine was coffee, which I don’t drink but handily can eat in chocolates or cake.

I really enjoyed this brunch and thought it was worth 4TS for the pair of us, although I think they were a little stingy with the cocktail refills - we were there for just shy of two hours and ‘only’ had 3 each. At one point I was tempted to grab a fresh full glass from the buffet but decided it would be greed not need (although I am still slightly regretting not doing it if I’m honest).

We caught the boat back to WL and rested/recovered before heading out to Hollywood Studios. We waited in line for both Alien Swirling Saucers and Toy Story Mania and had FP for Slinky Dog Dash (loved it), Tower of Terror and Fantasmic, which I chose as we haven’t seen the show in years. We really enjoyed it, and I also enjoyed the frosted gingerbread martini I took into the arena with me!

After brunch we hadn’t been that hungry for much else, but we both fancied something savoury when we got back to the hotel so spent 2 snack credits on some good old Lays - salted for me and barbecue for DH.

As we are now in double figures, we are entering the “we’d really better use up these credits wait what do you mean we’re paying for this dinner out of pocket?” phase of the holiday. Coming soon!

Edited at 12:55 AM.
Old 7 Dec 18, 10:32 AM  
Link to this Post
foodie53
Proud to wear my Ears

Mobile

Yes I think I would have been tempted to grab another drink myself - we went last November and the waiter just kept replacing them. I’m intrigued as to if we can get a Bloody Mary as a dining plan drink if we don’t have the mimosas. Did they have the baba station? Glad you enjoyed the brunch.
foodie53 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Dec 18, 02:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Wordsworth
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by foodie53 View Post
Yes I think I would have been tempted to grab another drink myself - we went last November and the waiter just kept replacing them. I’m intrigued as to if we can get a Bloody Mary as a dining plan drink if we don’t have the mimosas. Did they have the baba station? Glad you enjoyed the brunch.
I think the refill thing might have been because we had a later ADR (11.35) and the brunch timings suggest it runs until 1, obviously they don’t kick you out but I suspect they want to gently encourage you to finish up - I’m saying this only as I did notice they stopped putting glasses out at the bar as well. If I did it again I think I’d book earlier.

They did have the baba station but we didn’t have room to partake after all the sushi. I’m not a fan of Bloody Marys (the vodka is fine but I don’t like tomato juice!) so didn’t ask, sorry!
Old 8 Dec 18, 08:42 AM  
Link to this Post
steel1203
Excited about Disney

Wordsworth love reading as you are having my holiday! Staying at WL and plannng to book the MK dessert party and CG brunch!
steel1203 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Dec 18, 02:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Wordsworth
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by steel1203 View Post
Wordsworth love reading as you are having my holiday! Staying at WL and plannng to book the MK dessert party and CG brunch!
I loved loved the WL. If I’m honest the transportation options weren’t always the best, but we thought the vibe and theming etc were just perfect for us.