Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

View Poll Results: Which deal should I go for
Alamo 64 94.12%
Budget 4 5.88%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Old 29 Nov 18, 05:20 PM  
Link to this Post
cyberphonze
Helping Donald

Budget vs Alamo

My flights to FLL have recently been changed (see the Norwegian not flying to Fort Lauderdale anymore thread).

I managed to get them to switch us to an MCO flight instead of MIA, so am in the process of switching my car. In doing so I saw that the price for Alamo had shot up so not holding out much hope.

I have emailed Andy at discountfloridacarhire and he wasn't hopeful but has checked with his supplier and they can switch the booking for the same price. In the meantime I saw Budget were offering a class up for less money so now I have the decision.

Prices are high but we go in Easter holidays so were best available and both are platinum packages with extra driver etc)

Alamo - Standard 5 seater SUV e.g. Ford Edge, Santa Fe etc £655 - Pros: Can check in online, pick car etc
Budget - Standard 7 seater SUV e.g. Ford Explorer - £630 - Pros - bigger car, cheaper Cons: Queue at MCO, assigned car

Which one would you choose?
cyberphonze is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Nov 18, 05:49 PM  
Link to this Post
pad406
VIP Dibber

pad406's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 5
I picked Alamo as I like to have a choice and their toll scheme. From the perspective of customer satisfaction there seems to be little between them according to JD Power survey, posted here by Duncanb. You may also want to consider charges re tolls if you plan to use that, I believe Dollar are more expensive and charge for the whole rental not just usage days.

Christmas 2018/New Year 2019 (19N) BC - RPR - BC
Christmas 2016/New Year 2017 (18N). SF, LA, Disneyland & SD
Christmas 2014/New Year 2015 (21N). BWI, Hard Rock, Beach Club
April 2012 (21N). New York, Beach Club
Christmas 2010/New Year 2011 (15N). Polynesian & AKL
pad406 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Nov 18, 06:06 PM  
Link to this Post
pad406
VIP Dibber

pad406's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 5
Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
well apart from the Dodge Journey I had a few weeks ago which was about as exciting as a bucket of frogs.
I'm having nightmares about arriving to line after line of Dodge Journey

Christmas 2018/New Year 2019 (19N) BC - RPR - BC
Christmas 2016/New Year 2017 (18N). SF, LA, Disneyland & SD
Christmas 2014/New Year 2015 (21N). BWI, Hard Rock, Beach Club
April 2012 (21N). New York, Beach Club
Christmas 2010/New Year 2011 (15N). Polynesian & AKL
pad406 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Nov 18, 07:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Quietman
Earning My Ears

Budget cars can be disappointing

We have used both but budget only once as the car was dire. Had to take the first one back as air con stopped working less than a day in. Very disappointing, would pay the extra for Alamo.
Quietman is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Nov 18, 07:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Powlay
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 4
Ones a five seater the other a seven

How many people are going?
Old 29 Nov 18, 07:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Ridersmom
Imagineer

I had two car rentals over the Thanksgiving holidays. One with Alamo (mini-van) and a small car with Thrifty (also a one way rental)

Alamo charges were $125. less that expected (was returned one day early). Thrifty chages were $200. more than expected. Still cannot figure out what charges were. Upon return there were no Thrifty employees at the return and the Hertz person who accepted the car back was polite but could not explain all the costs. NEVER again with Thrifty.

Alamo all the way.
Ridersmom is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Nov 18, 07:56 PM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
As above, the Thrifty toll fees worry me (same as Dollar) albeit they can be avoided if you pay cash.

Bird in the hand etc etc. Alamo is a known quantity, well apart from the Dodge Journey I had a few weeks ago which was about as exciting as a bucket of frogs.
Hi Tom,
Did you mean Thrifty as the poll is between Budget and Alamo?
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Nov 18, 08:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by PPM View Post
Hi Tom,
Did you mean Thrifty as the poll is between Budget and Alamo?
Ooops!

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Nov 18, 10:07 PM  
Link to this Post
cyberphonze
Helping Donald

Thanks for the advice. Settled on Alamo.
cyberphonze is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Nov 18, 12:31 AM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Ridersmom View Post
I had two car rentals over the Thanksgiving holidays. One with Alamo (mini-van) and a small car with Thrifty (also a one way rental)

Alamo charges were $125. less that expected (was returned one day early). Thrifty chages were $200. more than expected. Still cannot figure out what charges were. Upon return there were no Thrifty employees at the return and the Hertz person who accepted the car back was polite but could not explain all the costs. NEVER again with Thrifty.

Alamo all the way.
OP and the vote dint ask about Thrifty, just Budget versus Alamo?
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List