Notices
Shopping in Florida For all those Shopaholics out there.

Old 3 Dec 18, 02:01 PM  
Link to this Post
BraveLiver
Surfing at Typhoon Lagoon

Sim Cards

I got stung with some hefty roaming charges the last time I was in Orlando, something I don't wish to repeat.

So is it worth buying a sim card from a U.S. provider to use on my hols?
If so, can anybody recommend one please, thanks.
BraveLiver is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Dec 18, 02:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Stitch & Smudge
Imagineer

Depends what you want to use it for. If it’s for calling uk Numbers, including mobiles of anyone out there with you, get a 3 payg sim. If it’s for dialling US numbers an American provider is the way to go.
Stitch & Smudge is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Dec 18, 03:18 PM  
Link to this Post
BraveLiver
Surfing at Typhoon Lagoon

Thanks, I'll be using it to phone the others in the group I'm going with (all with UK mobiles), and for data when I'm not getting free wi-fi.
Thanks.
BraveLiver is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Dec 18, 04:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Stitch & Smudge
Imagineer

Originally Posted by BraveLiver View Post
Thanks, I'll be using it to phone the others in the group I'm going with (all with UK mobiles), and for data when I'm not getting free wi-fi.
Thanks.
In that case suggest you all get a three sim. We do this as a family, have done for a few years now, and it works for us. Data included and calls between us all were free. Did have an issue this year though as I had to restart my phone every day or it wouldn’t connect. My family were fine, they use iPhones, I’ve got a Huawei.

Edited at 04:11 PM.
Stitch & Smudge is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Dec 18, 09:59 PM  
Link to this Post
CookieMonster54
Excited about Disney

Don’t use 3 they’re terrible limited to 3G and agonisingly slow if you’ve all got iPhones a US sim is fine as long as you make calls using FaceTime audio.
CookieMonster54 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Dec 18, 11:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Stitch & Smudge
Imagineer

Originally Posted by CookieMonster54 View Post
Don’t use 3 they’re terrible limited to 3G and agonisingly slow if you’ve all got iPhones a US sim is fine as long as you make calls using FaceTime audio.
I had 3 for years and never had an issue until this year. Always had an android myself but wife and kids have Apple and haven’t had any problems. This year I kept having to restart my phone each day or I couldn’t make or receive calls. For iPhones I’d suggest finding which network works best for you and lock it to that.
Old 30 Dec 18, 11:01 AM  
Link to this Post
Antsp
Excited about Disney

Look up mint sim if you want local number and 4G.
Antsp is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Dec 18, 11:27 AM  
Link to this Post
Dr.JumbaJookiba
VIP Dibber

I buy these for all our party, works perfectly. The seller activates them the day before you travel. I change sims mid flight, pause for two mins in the airport lobby and connect to the free wifi, text comes in from H20 follow the link and hey presto phones are good to go.

ebay/itm/H2O-AT-T-...4843%7Ciid%3A1

Edited at 07:44 PM.
Dr.JumbaJookiba is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Dec 18, 06:55 PM  
Link to this Post
sky13
Imagineer

I got a T-mobile SIM on one of my trips last year, which worked out pretty well for me in terms of having a lot of a data to use (especially when out of range of theme park wifi). I got it from one of their stores in Florida Mall, though it seems you might be able to buy a SIM off Amazon?

If you're trying to call other people you're travelling with who are roaming it might be cheaper to use whatsapp to call as this uses data rather than minutes.
Old 31 Dec 18, 07:12 AM  
Link to this Post
orlandoN21
Apprentice Imagineer

orlandoN21's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Mobile

Originally Posted by sky13 View Post
I got a T-mobile SIM on one of my trips last year, which worked out pretty well for me in terms of having a lot of a data to use (especially when out of range of theme park wifi). I got it from one of their stores in Florida Mall, though it seems you might be able to buy a SIM off Amazon?

If you're trying to call other people you're travelling with who are roaming it might be cheaper to use whatsapp to call as this uses data rather than minutes.
That's what I always do and take my spare unlocked phone with me.

support.t-mobile/docs/DOC-26344
1991 Travelodge Kissimmee / 1996 Holiday Inn I-Drive / 2000+2002 Rosen Centre I-Drive / 2007+2015+solo 2017+ solo Feb2019+solo Dec2019+solo Dec2023+solo June2024 Rosen Plaza I-Drive / 2011 Point Orlando / 2011 Rosen Shingle Creek / 2015 Loews Royal Pacific / solo Feb2019 Hilton Grand Vacations / solo Dec2019 Holiday Inn Disney Springs
orlandoN21 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List