Notices
Disneyland Paris Trip Planning Disneyland Paris Holiday Planning Questions and Tips.

Old 6 Jan 19, 01:21 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

DLP toddler tips - hit me!

Hi all

We are so excited to be going to DLP for my sister, neice and partners first trip to a Disney park.

My sister will (guaranteed) love it. My neice will be almost 3. I can't imagine my sister's partner even in a Disney park but he is always happy when my neice and sister are happy, so..

It's been a long time since we visited a Disney park with such a little one. We are getting the Eurostar and staying in a biggish offsite flat as we felt that they would appreciate the extra space and everyone having their own bedroom more than staying onsite. We know this area well and think it's almost quicker getting to the parks via RER than walking from Santa Fe/Cheyenne.

Anyway, I digress, that's the background. Four nights/three full days.

I assume her pushchair will be a must?

Is my neice free because she's under three?

What are the best things for toddlers? Although we know the parks well we've never considered them from this angle

Thank you so much!

Edited at 01:22 PM.
KarenG is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jan 19, 01:56 PM  
Link to this Post
HappyPanda
Apprentice Imagineer

We went in November with my Daughter who is almost 3. Here are my top-tips:

1. A pushchair is a must - there is so much walking it would be impossible to cope without one (imo!). You have to leave them outside all the queue rides, some people choose to lock the wheels with a bicycle lock to keep it secure but we never did and all was well.

2. Snacks -- we went by Eurostar and took a whole extra bag crammed full of snacks (breadsticks, cereal bars, crisps, raisins etc..) it saved us a fortune on Disney prices and meant that DD always had something to snack on in the long queues.

3. Parent Swap - make sure you take advantage of this when going on rides that aren't suitable for her. On most rides whoever goes on first will be given a ticket to keep hold of, when they get off they give this ticket to the person waiting and they can then go in through the exit/fastpass queue. These tickets are normally valid for up to 2 people.

4. Character Meets - At your Niece's age characters will either be a hit or a miss! We booked a character breakfast for our first morning so we could see how she was with the characters (rather than wasting hours queueing for them if she hated them!). Luckily she loved them and we had some amazing character interaction with them.

5. Rides - There are so many rides that a 2 year old can go on - personal favourites of my Daughters were Pirates of the Caribbean, Casey Jr, Peter Pan, Ratatouille and most of all the Parachute Drop ride.

6 - Food - as your Niece is not 3 yet she will eat free in buffet restaurants. In table service/counter service restaurants you would need to pay for any food you want for her or you can let her share off of your plates. We ate in a lot of buffets on our trip as we liked the choice of food (my Daughter would live on plain pasta, carrot and cucumber if she could so she was in her element!) and that we could take as long or as short as we wanted.

I'm sure I'll think of some more tips but most of all just enjoy it - 2 is a really magical age to go to Disney and I loved watching that excitement through my Daughter's eyes - it really added a whole new dimension to my love for Disneyland!
HappyPanda is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jan 19, 02:13 PM  
Link to this Post
HappyPanda
Apprentice Imagineer

Just seen from your ticker that you are going at the beginning of March. That's a fabulous time to go. When my Eldest was younger we always used to go in March and it really spoilt us; for the most part we had great weather and it was so, so quiet! We're tied to school holidays now and it makes me really, really miss my March holidays!
HappyPanda is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jan 19, 08:34 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile

Thank you that is so helpful.

We are using our AP for its last week of validity - our first visit with it last March was absolutely freezing (it was when snow covered the U.K. again) so we are hoping it will be milder!
Old 6 Jan 19, 08:38 PM  
Link to this Post
HappyPanda
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by KarenG View Post
Thank you that is so helpful.

We are using our AP for its last week of validity - our first visit with it last March was absolutely freezing (it was when snow covered the U.K. again) so we are hoping it will be milder!
Oh no! I hope you get better weather this year; we had such nice weather on almost all of our March trips. We are going in February so already worrying a little about the weather; we were there in November and it was much milder than I was expecting so hoping my luck hasn't run out!
Old 6 Jan 19, 08:50 PM  
Link to this Post
discoclare
Excited about Disney

Great advise already so not much to add but my younger daughter at 2.5 liked Small World, Ratatouille, Pirates, Peter Pan, Carousel, Tea cups, Casey Jr, Dumbo and the Railroad. I think she also went on Buzz Lightyear at that age and enjoyed it. She really liked the Disney Junior Live show thing in the studios.
On our next visit when she was four Ratatouille was her favourite ride, she still liked all of the above and she loved the Swiss Family Treehouse.
discoclare is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jan 19, 10:15 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Originally Posted by HappyPanda View Post
Oh no! I hope you get better weather this year; we had such nice weather on almost all of our March trips. We are going in February so already worrying a little about the weather; we were there in November and it was much milder than I was expecting so hoping my luck hasn't run out!
Well! Until last year we had only been in Feb and were used to freezing temps (fountains frozen solid etc). Then our March trip was freezing; we had a day visit over Easter and it was ok ish. But then we went in July and it was glorious! Made it much more enjoyable to be honest!

Originally Posted by discoclare View Post
Great advise already so not much to add but my younger daughter at 2.5 liked Small World, Ratatouille, Pirates, Peter Pan, Carousel, Tea cups, Casey Jr, Dumbo and the Railroad. I think she also went on Buzz Lightyear at that age and enjoyed it. She really liked the Disney Junior Live show thing in the studios.
On our next visit when she was four Ratatouille was her favourite ride, she still liked all of the above and she loved the Swiss Family Treehouse.
Thank you!
Old 7 Jan 19, 12:08 AM  
Link to this Post
kadypants
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

We took our little boy a couple of years ago when he was almost 3.

He loved lunch with Mickey and Buffalo Bills Wild West show. He still talks about cheering and banging cutlery on the table now!

He also LOVED the dragon under the castle. We visited him at least 5 times a day!

Its a Small World was, of course, a big success. As was Buzz and Autopia, both I believe are closed for certain parts of this year, so maybe worth checking.

I was a bit unsure about taking him so young, but he loved it so much. It made it even more magical. So much so that we're going back this year with my daughter who is 1.

Have a wonderful time!
kadypants is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jan 19, 11:36 AM  
Link to this Post
HappyPanda
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by kadypants View Post
He loved lunch with Mickey and Buffalo Bills Wild West show. He still talks about cheering and banging cutlery on the table now!

He also LOVED the dragon under the castle. We visited him at least 5 times a day!
Ah yes, the Wild West Show was a BIG hit with my Daughter too. As she was under three she didn't get her own seat, or food - but she happily sat on my lap and shared with me and her Sister.

The dragon wasn't such a hit with her, she found it a bit scary but her elder Sister always loved it.
Old 7 Jan 19, 07:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridasun
Imagineer

I would also recommend taking disney dress up with you. Their dresses are very overpriced and the children all want them.
Floridasun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List