Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 8 Jan 19, 06:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Col&Ali
Imagineer

I am currently looking for my DD too! For those that say Tenerife (which I think is a great option) - any hotel recommendations?
Col&Ali is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jan 19, 06:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Lell
Imagineer

Lell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
My son and friend went interailing last year and loved it, allowed them to see lots of different countries. My daughter prefers city breaks rather than the typical 'go get drunk every night for a fortnight' holiday that other friends were doing.
DLP (Disney Explorers) Sep 2004, DLP (Sequoia Lodge) Sep 2007, Disney CSR/Universal RPR Oct 2010, Disney AKL Oct 2012, Doubletree by Hilton at Seaworld Oct 2014, West Coast Road Trip 2017, Florida Road Trip 2018, West Coast Road Trip 2019, East Coast/Canada Road trip 2022, National Parks Road Trip 2023
Lell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jan 19, 06:34 PM  
Link to this Post
skinnybaby
Apprentice Imagineer

My worst holiday so far was in Laganas, Zante. I was in my early 20's at the time and on a girls holiday but even then i thought it was a horrible, dirty, seedy area.
The island itself was beautiful and i got to see Turtles and some lovely parts but Laganas was a dump
It was like the 'Faliraki' club reps program that used to be on TV years ago.

The beach was covered in cigarette nubs, i witnessed fights, drugs, sleezy come ons from the bar staff/reps.
I was chatting with 1 girl and the next minute she went off round the side of the bar to have sex with the bar tender.
The rep that was working at our hotel by day and working in the evening getting people into the bars at night got his front tooth knocked out trying to get a girl into a bar
I had a rep try to take me back to his apartment
And i got my drink spiked.
So all in all, its a no from me for Laganas
skinnybaby is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jan 19, 08:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Mortimer Mouse
Imagineer

Mortimer Mouse's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 6
Reading all your replies, reminded me that I'd been to Faliraki in my youth. I must have blocked out the memory of that trip!
My poor parents had absolutely no idea what my holidays were like then, plus no mobile phones to keep in contact with me.
So while I'd like to think she wouldn't want a 'crazy' holiday - that might be just wishful thinking on my part.
Mortimer Mouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jan 19, 09:06 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

None of my children at that age went to the usual clubbing type of resort, and DD who is 18 now would absolutely hate that type of holiday. However, their peers who did prefer slightly ‘crazy’ holidays went to San Antonio in Ibiza and seemed to have a fun time (and survived to tell the tales 😀 )
DisneyDaffodil is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jan 19, 09:09 PM  
Link to this Post
shona
Apprentice Imagineer

My daughter and her friends went to Purto del Carmen in Lanzarote 3 years ago and had a great time
shona is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jan 19, 10:29 PM  
Link to this Post
anniee
Imagineer

When DS1 was 18 he went to Cancun. I know you said Europe but him and his friends did Cancun for the first 2 years and the 3rd year they went to Benidorm. He said he wouldn't pay that money for a European holiday again and much preferred Cancun (he has since travelled all over Europe but Cancun, Vegas & Florida are his 3 favourites).

DS2 had just turned 18 when he went. They went to Ayia Napa but went clubbing every night.

Hope your DD makes the right choice and you don't worry too much.
Old 9 Jan 19, 12:53 AM  
Link to this Post
Squiggly2902
Trainee Dibber

My DD (18) and her 3 friends went to Kos last year, she wasn't interested in the mad resorts so opted for Kos Town- her and her friends had club nights out (every night) but also hired bikes to see the area, have nice taverna meals and went on a boat trip (not a booze cruise).
Squiggly2902 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jan 19, 08:41 AM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Lell View Post
My son and friend went interailing last year and loved it, allowed them to see lots of different countries. My daughter prefers city breaks rather than the typical 'go get drunk every night for a fortnight' holiday that other friends were doing.
Mine also prefers city breaks and is off to Amsterdam this summer - it seemed a bit "racy" for her as a choice (drugs, red light district etc) but worried a bit less when hearing her with her friends talking about the Van Gogh museum, Anne Frank museum, Rembrandt's house, Dutch resistance museum, Electric Ladyland and the dungeon (the last 2 sounding more Amsterdam, but not in reality!)

Can only hope they are sensible. But also have some fun...

As to the logistics - they have been away together before (in UK) and from those 2 experiences have refined it to - one is responsible for booking it all - everything is paid in advance, each are responsible for their own insurance and EH1C card. They also have a "float"- each of them put in £100 which will be kept til the end of the trip to make sure any unforseen expenses are taken care of. (no-one has pulled out of their trips yet, so don't know what their plans are in those circumstances)
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jan 19, 11:23 AM  
Link to this Post
kk20
Imagineer

Canaries can be VERY hot in summer, if you like that then fine but be aware. I would say the Balearics are a better option. We tend to go to Mallorca at the end of summer as the weather is good and the hotels/areas pretty reasonable. Canaries are better at the end of May early June for weather vs resort waking up or end of september before they start winding down.

For hotel recommendations, we tend to go with Sol/Melia chain, they usually balance location vs resort vs price

Edited at 11:25 AM.
kk20 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List