Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning Cruise Questions and Tips.

Old 8 Jan 19, 09:53 PM  
Link to this Post
smedley
Imagineer

Mobile Looking at our first Disney cruise when booking opens in April

Ok kids so it looks like we are going to bite the bullet and book a Disney cruise 😱

We want to do Alaska and Disney going in and out of Vancouver matches what we are looking for, that and we are taking my niece (who am I kidding I’m super excited to cruise Disney lol) so as a first timer to Disney cruising, I’m debating booking methods, I’m slightly concerned about what the dollar exchange rate is going to be doing later this year, and also note it’s a 20% deposit if I book with an American agent?

If I decide to book in the UK I’m sure someone (looking at you bats) mentioned booking direct with Disney, how does that work in terms of lining up the booking, would I just wait till the dates open up for me and go online to see what’s available and book?

I’m a planner I need to know now what my strategy should be 😂 thanks in advance

Previous trips (mostly villas,) '98,'00,03,04x2,06,07,11 (first onsite stay SSR),12 villa and RCI cruise,14 OKW,15 RCI cruise, Clearwater and Int Drive. 16 West Coast DL, 17
smedley is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jan 19, 05:42 PM  
Link to this Post
danisleigh
Imagineer

danisleigh's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 6
We booked with a US agent and figured that the OBC would offset any loss due to the exchange rate. Having said that we did decide to pay in full last week even though it wasn’t due until April with it being so close to brexit.
Deb at TOAD has been fantastic so much so that we used her to book our RCL cruise for 2020. The price was cheaper than UK sites anyway and last week she emailed to say another offer had come up which she had applied to my booking saving another $234!
Apr 98..Quality Inn, Dec 2004...hotel Cheyenne, may 2006...Emerald Island, Mar 2013..Regal Palms / AKL / Rosen Inn / HRH, Oct 14..Cypress Pointe, July 2016 Newport bay club, Aug 2016 magic med cruise, Aug 2017 SSR/Rosen pointe/HRH, Aug 19 Northern Europe Disney magic, Dec 2019...Sequoia Lodge, Xmas 2021 Rosen Plaza/HRH, May 2022 POFQ/HRH, May 2023 Disneyland LA.
danisleigh is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jan 19, 05:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Loulou127
Imagineer

Originally Posted by danisleigh View Post
We booked with a US agent and figured that the OBC would offset any loss due to the exchange rate. Having said that we did decide to pay in full last week even though it wasn’t due until April with it being so close to brexit.
Deb at TOAD has been fantastic so much so that we used her to book our RCL cruise for 2020. The price was cheaper than UK sites anyway and last week she emailed to say another offer had come up which she had applied to my booking saving another $234!
Danisleigh, out of interest would she only book cruises out of the USA or can you use her if you cruise from the U.K.?
Loulou127 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jan 19, 06:20 PM  
Link to this Post
danisleigh
Imagineer

danisleigh's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 6
Originally Posted by Loulou127 View Post
Danisleigh, out of interest would she only book cruises out of the USA or can you use her if you cruise from the U.K.?
No any cruises, my Disney cruise is going from Dover. It’s just any booking is made in dollars rather than pounds so although you may get a better deal you do have to bear in mind the exchange rate fluctuation.
Apr 98..Quality Inn, Dec 2004...hotel Cheyenne, may 2006...Emerald Island, Mar 2013..Regal Palms / AKL / Rosen Inn / HRH, Oct 14..Cypress Pointe, July 2016 Newport bay club, Aug 2016 magic med cruise, Aug 2017 SSR/Rosen pointe/HRH, Aug 19 Northern Europe Disney magic, Dec 2019...Sequoia Lodge, Xmas 2021 Rosen Plaza/HRH, May 2022 POFQ/HRH, May 2023 Disneyland LA.
danisleigh is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jan 19, 12:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Bats
Disney Cruise Line VIP!

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 13
Originally Posted by smedley View Post
Ok kids so it looks like we are going to bite the bullet and book a Disney cruise 😱

We want to do Alaska and Disney going in and out of Vancouver matches what we are looking for, that and we are taking my niece (who am I kidding I’m super excited to cruise Disney lol) so as a first timer to Disney cruising, I’m debating booking methods, I’m slightly concerned about what the dollar exchange rate is going to be doing later this year, and also note it’s a 20% deposit if I book with an American agent?

If I decide to book in the UK I’m sure someone (looking at you bats) mentioned booking direct with Disney, how does that work in terms of lining up the booking, would I just wait till the dates open up for me and go online to see what’s available and book?

I’m a planner I need to know now what my strategy should be 😂 thanks in advance
Hi Marie
So, it matters not whether you book in ££ or $$, via a US TA or direct, you will pay the same deposit - normally 20%. They have an offer on right now for a 10% instead but this will not be in place when they release the new cruises. Even with the 10% deposit, you still pay the same price in the end, it's just a lower first payment.

We book via Travel on a Dream, but if you are worried at all about the currency fluctuations, just book direct. Your terms and conditions will be the same, but you'll have to rely on us for any info or help you need (not the worst thing if I do say so myself)!

If you go direct, you just go online on the day the cruises open to the public - this is normally 3 days after the itineraries are released as old timers who have cruised before get a few days grace in front of the newbies and website bookings.
I should tell you that the website is glitchy like all Disney online products - so don't be surprised if it crashes a few times!

Alaska won't sell out though as they do it every year, so no worries there.

Do you know what stateroom you're after, or even what type?

Joa
Old 11 Jan 19, 03:15 PM  
Link to this Post
smedley
Imagineer

Mobile

Million dollar question Joa 😂

We are taking my niece as a long promised post gcse celebration which means we are looking at July, which means we are looking at peak pricing 🙄 hubby could care less about cabins, he loves cruising insides because guaranteed dark naps lol, I prefer higher up in the ship, and if I can swing it cost wise an ocean view would be fabulous but I am not sure my £6000-£7000 budget (just for the cruise not flights and hotels) will stretch to that.

The niece is delighted to be getting taken on a Disney cruise and would probably sleep in the corridor if she had to lol.

This has basically answered none of your questions really but I guess gets you a bit closer to what I’m hoping for?

Previous trips (mostly villas,) '98,'00,03,04x2,06,07,11 (first onsite stay SSR),12 villa and RCI cruise,14 OKW,15 RCI cruise, Clearwater and Int Drive. 16 West Coast DL, 17
smedley is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jan 19, 03:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Bats
Disney Cruise Line VIP!

theDIBB Guidebook
Million dollar question Joa 😂

We are taking my niece as a long promised post gcse celebration which means we are looking at July, which means we are looking at peak pricing 🙄 hubby could care less about cabins, he loves cruising insides because guaranteed dark naps lol, I prefer higher up in the ship, and if I can swing it cost wise an ocean view would be fabulous but I am not sure my £6000-£7000 budget (just for the cruise not flights and hotels) will stretch to that.

The niece is delighted to be getting taken on a Disney cruise and would probably sleep in the corridor if she had to lol.

This has basically answered none of your questions really but I guess gets you a bit closer to what I’m hoping for?
Ok, so I would go for one of the sideways rooms on decks 5 and 6 then. They are inside rooms but appear larger due to the layout.

So, look at 5513 - that's a sideways room and you can see others near it along with some on deck 6 too.

If you want oceanview but want to save money, try a secret porthole room (if available - they go quick).
Look at 5524 on the deck plan above - all of those purple ones on deck 5 are the SPH rooms. You can see them from the outside below ..

They are the 3 behind the white barrel lifeboats between the big yellow ones and the wording Disney Wonder. 5520 (and 5020 on the other side) have the best views, but these are classed as inside rooms so it's a little bonus that you actually get an obstructed view.

We did Alaska a couple of years ago in an inside cabin and it was great, especially as there is a lot of daylight on those cruises!

Hope that helps!
Joa

Edited at 03:56 PM.
Bats is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jan 19, 09:36 PM  
Link to this Post
smedley
Imagineer

Mobile

This why I love you best 😁 I will definitely be looking at one of those 2 options ! Hoping that the currency thing might be more secure by April and if so I will contact toad, if not and I am booking for myself I know you’ve got my back 😁

Old 15 Jan 19, 12:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Bats
Disney Cruise Line VIP!

theDIBB Guidebook
This why I love you best 😁 I will definitely be looking at one of those 2 options ! Hoping that the currency thing might be more secure by April and if so I will contact toad, if not and I am booking for myself I know you’ve got my back 😁
Awwww
The Dibb is a great place