Notices
General DVC Discussion For discussion on how the DVC works and resort information.

Old 11 Jan 19, 03:48 PM  
Link to this Post
crux
Apprentice Imagineer

Is this the year to sell?

The point changes for 2020 mean that our 72 point BCV contract will no longer stretch to a 14 night stay every three years - 13 nights is the most we can now get and that's only in the 'Adventure' season. The direct DVC price per point for BCV is now $225 so the resale value could hit $150. Plus, the pound is very weak against the dollar compared to recent history. Is now the time to sell?

We have been members since 2001, with the BCV add-on bought the following year. We only paid $84 per point and at a much higher dollar to pound rate. It looks as though we'd get roughly £8k after all the costs. Now we're both retired (early), we can choose to go anywhere at anytime - including very late bookings. So it looks as though we will be selling the BCV contract this year.

We will still have a Boulder Ridge 150 point contract, which is booked for this year and also have plans to go late next year to see the Christmas decorations. The points issue isn't quite as bad with this contract as we have a float of banked points, but we are also having discussions around selling this contract as well. That wouldn't be until 2021, but it would bring an end to our DVC membership.

For us, as a couple, the advantages of DVC have diminished over the years. There are lots of offers on free dining, the rooms in even the value resorts have most of the features of the studios - if there are only two of you. Plus the rapidly increasing dues, made worse by the exchange rates.

I'd be interested in the thoughts of other long term members.
Beach Club Villas 2003 2006 2009 2012 2014 2015 2018
Boardwalk Villas 2016
crux is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jan 19, 03:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Love*my*hols
Imagineer

For similar reasons to you we would be selling except we have used this and next year's points and no more until Sep 2021 so will have to wait until then .
Love*my*hols is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jan 19, 04:02 PM  
Link to this Post
gavvy
Imagineer

The exchange rate wont be as low as it is now forever, it will eventually return to a normal level but when that will be is a wild guess.

Resale prices have never been as high and in the short term I don't see them being impacted by recent decisions, It will be the new resorts that will take a hit in short term.

There could be another point reallocation next year, it depends how many points Disney need to create for the exchanges between the 2 clubs. Am unsure how many is needed so they may need to create more with the lockoff premium next year.

The only thing I can say really is everything is very uncertain and am very unsure how it's going to play out. I don't feel that affected by the changes as I have only used my points at the home resort and bought more than I needed anyway so was banking each year, but I know others have a very sour taste with DVD at the moment.
Old 11 Jan 19, 04:56 PM  
Link to this Post
crux
Apprentice Imagineer

I've just had a thought that makes it even worse. We can now only get 12 nights instead of 14 in 'Choice' season. Which means our points have devalued by 1/7th
Beach Club Villas 2003 2006 2009 2012 2014 2015 2018
Boardwalk Villas 2016
crux is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jan 19, 06:07 PM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

I'm just waiting to see how it plays out and affects me personally, far too much opinion and speculation going on at the moment. From what I can see I don't 'think' we'll be too affected. I've owned at BCV since 2002, like you paying FAR less for points and at an almost $2 to £1 exchange rate.

Like the previous poster, we have more points than we need and bought where we wanted to stay as has always been the advice, I toyed with the idea of selling last year but with Star Wars Land imminent think it'd be daft to offload Epcot resort points before that. Instead of selling we ended up adding on another 250 points at CCV.

I'm still happy enough, hopefully won't have to eat my words but I bought in when resale wasn't viable, 150 points were the minimum buy in, renting was VERY frowned upon and quite a frightening prospect, people didn't buy in with the intention of selling and was aware that point allocations could always change. If anything it just feels like we're back there again.

Wild Africa Trek photo report

PoohBears#1fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jan 19, 06:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
We are giving very serious consideration to renting ours out.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jan 19, 09:24 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

I can’t sell until next year as have a trip booked and a heavily borrowed contract. But I’m falling out of love with it all. The dues increase plus exchange rate is bothering me more than the points reallocation as we didn’t buy a set number of points for a set number of days.
BevS97 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jan 19, 09:30 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
We are giving very serious consideration to renting ours out.
Renting is incredibly easy. Personally I would bother even attempting it on here (sorry) especially with your points numbers, you'll be getting constant 1 and 2 night requests you'll be dealing with dozens and dozens of queries. People have worked out it's a way to get free magic bands and rolling 60 day fast pass. Contact David's and they'll handle it all with little effort.
Old 11 Jan 19, 09:50 PM  
Link to this Post
arielrocks
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
Renting is incredibly easy. Personally I would bother even attempting it on here (sorry) especially with your points numbers, you'll be getting constant 1 and 2 night requests you'll be dealing with dozens and dozens of queries. People have worked out it's a way to get free magic bands and rolling 60 day fast pass. Contact David's and they'll handle it all with little effort.
This is the issue I’ve has previously. Although the last time I rented I specified I wouldn’t take one night bookings and got rid of the lot in one go. Thank goodness .
arielrocks is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jan 19, 10:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by arielrocks View Post
This is the issue I’ve has previously. Although the last time I rented I specified I wouldn’t take one night bookings and got rid of the lot in one go. Thank goodness .
I have little doubt if I offered 1000 Points to Dave they would snap my hand off.
The prices on here are far too low and I really couldn't be asked with the hasssle

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List