Notices
General DVC Discussion For discussion on how the DVC works and resort information.

Old 15 Jan 19, 12:49 PM  
Link to this Post
lov2dibb
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 11
Guidebook Reviews: 7
OP you seem well informed on all the changes and other aspects of DVC ownership so if you are reasonably comfortable with all of it then go ahead and buy the points especially if you want to stay in that resort.

There are ways around being 21 points short - maybe book the first night in a cash room at a budget resort, borrow from next years points until you run out then have a year off, buy some one-time use or rent points etc., etc.

Not ideal but one thing I've learned over the years is that everything changes and although we may start out thinking it'll be 2 weeks in a 1BR at resortX in January for the next 30 years, it doesn't always stay that way.
lov2dibb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 19, 12:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Halowa
Serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
I think we are in new territory now. Whilst a lockoff premium has always existed, 99.8% of DVC owners were not aware it allowed points to be manufactured out of thin air.
Also we always thought if they put one room up, another would go down.
2 weeks later and despite significant concern, people asking for explanations and forums full of questions, no answer from DVCMC aside from claiming data is 'proprietary'.
New management of course.
In relation to the points increase -
If I’m honest we are very british when it comes to complaining. Americans that use small numbers of points to book studios will be going wild.
Old 15 Jan 19, 01:05 PM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

Mobile

To suggest either is a budget resort is ridiculous.
As I said, many VIEW them as such, regardless of whether they are or not & they’re perfectly entitled to their opinion even if others think it’s ridiculous, which of course is their opinion.

Wild Africa Trek photo report

PoohBears#1fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 19, 01:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Zomax25
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I don’t own DVC so not sure whether I have a right to respond. But I thought i’d give my perspective.

My parents bought a cheap non DVC timeshare in around 1994. Each year they have paid the RCI dues on it which are now around £800 a year. They can then, on top of that, pay £200 to book each week. So around £1,000 for 2 weeks a year. They don’t go every year as they are now retired and we have effectively taken over th payments. They can’t get out of the timeshare agreement. It has no resale value and effectively we are stuck paying this amount until they die.
I know DVC is different now, but what happens in 25, 30 years? Will you still want to pay the dues every year when you are retired? Have you factored it into your pension planning?

As I said I know DVC is “different” but RCI was great back in 1994...
Zomax25 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 19, 01:32 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by PoohBears#1fan View Post
As I said, many VIEW them as such, regardless of whether they are or not & they’re perfectly entitled to their opinion even if others think it’s ridiculous, which of course is their opinion.
Apart from yourself I've never seen anyone call OKW/ SSR a budget resort, maybe I haven't looked in the correct place.
Old 15 Jan 19, 01:40 PM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

Mobile

Apart from yourself I've never seen anyone call OKW/ SSR a budget resort, maybe I haven't looked in the correct place.
I didn’t call them budget resorts, I said people VIEW them as such, in response to someone saying just that.

I personally don’t rate SSR & wouldn’t use my points there but that’s my personal opinion.

PoohBears#1fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 19, 01:42 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Mobile

I didn’t call them budget resorts, I said people VIEW them as such, in response to someone saying just that.

I personally don’t rate SSR & wouldn’t use my points there but that’s my personal opinion.
Ok I'll word my post differently. Apart from your post claiming 'many' people view SSR and OKW as budget resorts, I've never seen anyone else refer to them as a budget resort, ever. Maybe I'm not looking in the right place.
Old 15 Jan 19, 01:49 PM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

Mobile

Ok I'll word my post differently. Apart from your post claiming 'many' people view SSR and OKW as budget resorts, I've never seen anyone else refer to them as a budget resort, ever. Maybe I'm not looking in the right place.
That’s great that you haven’t & each to their own. Personally I’ve encountered plenty of members who wouldn’t spend their points there anymore.

Old 15 Jan 19, 01:53 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Mobile

That’s great that you haven’t & each to their own. Personally I’ve encountered plenty of members who wouldn’t spend their points there anymore.
Maybe you have, maybe you have a distaste for the resorts, that is no problem. What you said though is many people believe them to be budget resorts. Personally I have never seen that and I am wondering who all these people are and where they are saying this?
Old 15 Jan 19, 02:01 PM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

Mobile

Maybe you have, maybe you have a distaste for the resorts, that is no problem. What you said though is many people believe them to be budget resorts. Personally I have never seen that and I am wondering who all these people are and where they are saying this?
Seriously? I don’t know if the intention here is to lull me into a petty argument or to try making me out to be a liar but either way I’m not playing. I find this rather offensive & will remove myself from this thread now.