Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 16 Jan 19, 05:44 PM  
Link to this Post
loves2plan
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Sandra & co View Post
Rome was good, we booked an apartment on HomeAway with views of St Peters, got on and off buses and walked a lot. Did a sightseeing bus and saw all the sights, The colosseum and The library building (can’t remember the name) where you see the whole of Rome was lovely. The Cafe at the top did really nice sandwiches. We also visited a shopping centre, dogs allowed in every shop but it was still immaculate. Lots to see and do if you like being busy 😃
Originally Posted by florida girl View Post
We went to Rome a couple of years ago and going to Venice in March for 5 nights .
Originally Posted by DisneyDaffodil View Post
Another vote for Venice, we went for 6 nights last June. It cost us around £1400 but that was for 3 of us and a little later into the summer than your trip so I think it’s possible on your budget. We booked EasyJet flights and then a boutique hotel on a B&B basis through booking.com which was very nice and in a great location.

Venice is very romantic and has loads to see. Art galleries, museums, shops, the Canal, churches, wonderful restaurants and bars, plus we used the vaporetto (water bus) and visited the Lido (beach) and some of the islands (Murano and Burano) We had a wonderful time
My brother recommended Rome too, so will have a look.

We've been to Venice, albeit on a day trip, and loved it, but have decided to go somewhere we haven't been before. Plus, our daughter really wants to visit, so it's another one to add to the family holiday list

POFQ: Our 'once in a lifetime' trip, 31.10 - 14.11.12
SSR: 40th birthday trip, 02 - 16.01.14
SSR 2 bed villa: my mums first trip, 07 - 21.02.15
POR: An unexpected Easter break, 02 - 15.04.16
CBR: Another unexpected Easter trip, 29.03 - 12.04.17
CBR: 18th birthday surprise trip, 21.10 - 4.11.19
CBR & CBBR 3 week WDW & US, 05 - 27.09.22

Easter QSDP food report April 17

2nd Easter QSDP food report, Oct 19
loves2plan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 19, 05:46 PM  
Link to this Post
loves2plan
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by 2point View Post
UK to La Rochelle, then go over to stay on the Ile de Re.

St Martin is a picture perfect port(first time we went there I said to m wife it looks like it's designed by Disney), the whole Island is no more than 16 metres high so 'flat'. Rental cycles are cheap and traffic free paths cover the place.
Originally Posted by katiec68 View Post
ooohhh - yes!

I did a 2 week work exchange in La Rochelle - id soo love to go back!

It was a beautiful place (and great ice cream too!)
Just Googled this and it looks lovely! Definitely one for the list The bike rental and traffic free paths are right up our street. Actually, I might throw Amsterdam in to the mix too based on that!

loves2plan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 19, 05:48 PM  
Link to this Post
loves2plan
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by roxie2001 View Post
For a city break I really enjoyed Brno, a few days was enough but you can get trains to Bratislava and Vienna, you could have night at either of these. It was so cheap there, well within your budget.
Also enjoyed Budapest.
For a bit of sun, we went to Benalmadena in December for the first time and loved it there. Great place with lots of places to visit easily by bus, organised day trips or car. The marina is beautiful.
We stayed all inclusive but it’s bit expensive to eat and drink out.
Some great ideas here, especially of places that I've never really heard of. Vienna and Budapest are already on the list, so will definitely have a look at Brno and Bratislava too

Old 16 Jan 19, 05:50 PM  
Link to this Post
loves2plan
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Dixie Dot View Post
Unfortunately those dates will be during half term! Everywhere will be more expensive than usual. You will need to choose a destination that no one wants to take kids to! X
Yes, I know as we have children. We didn't when we got married so school holidays never even entered our minds - we just thought it would be great to have a bank holiday around our anniversary. Not really looking at family holiday sorts of destinations really, plus we'll be flying out on the Thursday of half term and back the following week, so that should help too

Old 16 Jan 19, 07:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Pumpkin Pie
Imagineer

Originally Posted by loves2plan View Post
Prague and Vienna are both on the list too, along with Budapest. Before we had children I was in the middle of planning a trip to visit Prague, Vienna and Budapest, but then found out I was pregnant and it never happened. Might be nice to revisit the holiday that never was.

Our original plan was 10-11 night starting with going to Boston for a few days and then down to Cape Cod to got whale watching and visit Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket, but now that we've only got 6 nights, it seems a long way to go and we'd really only be able to do Boston, so we'll save that trip for another time.

Gothenburg, Stockholm and Iceland are ones to consider too, although I've read that the cost of food and drinks (everything really) is really expensive there.
Stockholm wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be. There are Mac Donald’s etc. there the same as everywhere else but we found the places we chose were much the same prices as here. It’s not a cheap holiday I admit but it doesn’t have to be expensive either.
Pumpkin Pie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 19, 07:31 PM  
Link to this Post
loves2plan
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Pumpkin Pie View Post
Stockholm wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be. There are Mac Donald’s etc. there the same as everywhere else but we found the places we chose were much the same prices as here. It’s not a cheap holiday I admit but it doesn’t have to be expensive either.
Thank you. I'm a healthy eater so don't eat at McDonald's and all the usual fast food type places. I think I'd need to do some research in to affordable healthy eating options if we were to go there

Edited at 07:36 PM.
Old 16 Jan 19, 08:49 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Thank you. I'm a healthy eater so don't eat at McDonald's and all the usual fast food type places. I think I'd need to do some research in to affordable healthy eating options if we were to go there

Scandanavian cities all seem to have lots of cafes doing simple meals, soup, open sandwiches , pasta etc. I didn't find them expensive (MacDonalds is never on my holiday eating list either)
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 19, 10:49 PM  
Link to this Post
roxie2001
Imagineer

Mobile

Some great ideas here, especially of places that I've never really heard of. Vienna and Budapest are already on the list, so will definitely have a look at Brno and Bratislava too
Bratislava was on our list of places when we booked our next city break but Warsaw won as the flights were cheaper.
I have said to Oh about going next summer combined with a return trip to Budapest.
I have edited my original post about Benalmadena, it is cheap to eat and drink out there.
roxie2001 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 19, 11:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney Bear
VIP Dibber

Copenhagen is great - although I am biased as I travel there a lot. You can even get the train to Sweden for the day from there. Lots of lovely walks and bike rides.
Disney Bear is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 19, 11:39 PM  
Link to this Post
londondisney
Stuck in the Tower of Terror

Stavanger in Norway is picturesque, also Amsterdam is lovely for a short trip, lots to see and do.