Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 16 Jan 19, 12:59 PM  
Link to this Post
thefergies
Apprentice Imagineer

Travel Insurance - Choose Carefully

Useful piece in today's Daily Mail Finance Section - page 43 or no doubt Mail Online for those who don't buy papers anymore! - about "Why Penny Pinching on travel cover can cost you thousands". I am not recommending any of the companies or policies on there, just supporting the principle that good travel insurance is not some kind of nuisance buy like an insect repellent but an absolutely essential part of a holiday, especially if going to US.
No insurance policy will cover every eventuality and travel insurance is no different but you can still neglect to get any or sufficient cover for fairly basic insurable incidents by over-focusing on price as insurers are stripping things to the bone in order to be first on the comparison site list.
Look at the Sums Insured per person and make sure they are £10m medical minimum and that the per person amounts for Cancellation or Baggage meets the holiday cost and value of items you are taking. If things like travel delay or delayed baggage are important to you, look closely as your most basic policies will not cover these things as standard. Check the Defaqto rating too if using comparison sites as that is based on the breadth and extent of cover being offered. And answer medical questions truthfully.
It was interesting to see on a thread before Xmas asking people to list the cost of their 2019 holidays that only a small number of people actually listed Travel Insurance as such a cost and the way some people moan about premiums for what are miniscule amounts compared to 14 day Park Tickets, seat upgrades, rip-off airport lounges, top of the range car hire etc. A decent policy will cost you far less than an airline charging for allowing you and your family the "luxury" of sitting together or, god forbid, take a suitcase with you yet it's the insurers who get the stick?
I was a travel claims handler for 15 years so I know what the benefits are by doing your research and getting good cover and I know the consequences when people don't. It's not an area meant for bargain-hunting.
thefergies is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 19, 01:09 PM  
Link to this Post
welshmum
Imagineer

We pay a monthly premium through Barclays for travel benefits and this includes Travel Insurance which is provided by Aviva. I think it costs about £14 a month.

Thank goodness we had this in place in 2016 as my daughter had Septic Arthritis and a 2 week hospital stay which meant we had to cancel our holiday. Aviva were amazing which is why we have continued to pay the monthly fee.
Old 16 Jan 19, 01:20 PM  
Link to this Post
thefergies
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by welshmum View Post
We pay a monthly premium through Barclays for travel benefits and this includes Travel Insurance which is provided by Aviva. I think it costs about £14 a month.

Thank goodness we had this in place in 2016 as my daughter had Septic Arthritis and a 2 week hospital stay which meant we had to cancel our holiday. Aviva were amazing which is why we have continued to pay the monthly fee.
Happy Aviva came up trumps as that was where I worked for many years - General Accident which then became CGU after merger with Commercial Union which then became Aviva following another merger with Norwich Union. Worked for 3 companies in 2 years without moving my seat - interesting times!
thefergies is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 19, 01:21 PM  
Link to this Post
itz_baseline
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Yep another one here with bank account linked insurance. Policies are generally top notch and by the time you have car breakdown cover, emergency home cover, mobile phone cover and legal cover it's kind of a no brainer.
itz_baseline is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 19, 03:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Andy_B
Imagineer

the fergies, I am still with Aviva, joined NU in 1979 and been away and came back in 2000, also been involved in claims as a handler and loss adjuster, I have to say we try to find a reason to pay not avoid claims.
2007 WDW - Villa, Cocoa Beach and WL (with DDP)
2011 Hilton Head (SC) and Orlando RPR & Villa
Andy_B is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 19, 03:57 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

We’ve got aviva. Husband got it through his work for £62 a year. Taken off his wages monthly.

The only thing that suprised me was that they didn’t ask about previous conditions. I don’t actually think my conditions will actually effect me in any way whilst on holiday anymore than they do now but it’s still seems weird
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 19, 04:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Mel49
Imagineer

Mel49's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 3
I don"t penny pinch and compare policy cover and price but object to excessive premiums where the screening doesn't seem to take all the facts into account. I have annual Family Travel Insurance through Nationwide Account and last year paid a high excess to get cover for our Florida trip but my last operation had only been 3 months prior and was happy to pay to have adequate cover. However the renewal cost were even more than last year despite over a year since any operation, 3 years since cancer diagnosis (first stage and no chemo etc luckily) and only ongoing condition osteo-arthritis and medication Naproxen. When I phoned Nationwide to query the fee increase they suggested I try and get single trip cover and their policy is still valid for anything but my declared medical conditions.

As I am only going on a 10 day trip to Tenerife with my DD and not intending to have any other overseas holidays this year I took out single trip cover for us both through Boots as their screening is quite indepth which for me was reflected in the premium. I do have a high excess for any claims due to existing conditions but as no problems for last year this is fair enough.

Edited at 04:19 PM.
Mel49 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 19, 04:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Andy_B
Imagineer

DisneygirlsSG that is because it is a group travel policy that applies to any employee who applies and as such there are no previous condition questions that appply
2007 WDW - Villa, Cocoa Beach and WL (with DDP)
2011 Hilton Head (SC) and Orlando RPR & Villa
Andy_B is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 19, 04:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Bats
Disney Cruise Line VIP!

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 13
I am always hammering this to people in the cruise forum. The amount of people that book cruises but not additional cover for that cruise.

We make sure we have cabin confinement, missed ports due to sickness, missed excursions for same, hotel accommodation for other guests if one is taken into hospital and, just in case .. medi vac'd from ship and brought home.

Essential when cruising and surprisingly many many guests from the US don't bother with any insurance. Strange old world!
Old 16 Jan 19, 04:37 PM  
Link to this Post
toonarmani
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 137
Some don't mention travel insurance cost in their overall booking as they get it for free with their bank account (I do with HSBC Premier and never had any issues with them so far ).
toonarmani is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List