Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 18 Jan 19, 01:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Loopylooloo
VIP Dibber

I didnt read that he didnt want to come, I hope his employers see that it is an important trip, and can accommodate it, so that you can all go as planned, and enjoy it!

You sound like you have also prepared for the worst outcome too, and quite wisely not advising him to quit his job over it!

Hope it all works out x

Our trip reports -
1st trip to Florida - April 2014 - 'Are we nearly Bankrupt yet?!'
The Kuna Mahuna Croatia Holiday 2016
Bankrupt again Florida 2017
New York & RCL Anthem of Seas 2018
https://dibb.in/13476718
And now it’s time for Wine Wine Wine! Rome + Celebrity Cruise May 2022
https://dibb.in/15427816
Loopylooloo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 19, 02:08 PM  
Link to this Post
RachaelC
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by jakesmum View Post
We shall wait and see what happens, I think last night I was a bit shell shocked that he had again managed to royally screw up and caught me off guard. I've decided i'm not going to sweat it and will see what his other manager has to say tomorrow and work from there.
I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. I guess some of it depends on how much coverage they need to do the job - if it's because other people are off then I doubt the asking for unpaid leave would make a difference.

I also wanted to say that I think your attitude towards it all is commendable, I would struggle to get over being cross with my son if I was in your situation!
RachaelC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 19, 02:20 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Guest View Post
I see your point, but I see it differently. If he is good enough they won't want him to leave so they will agree to it.
So as an employer you'd be fine with a new employee threatening to quit if they didn't get preferential treatment ? You'd also give them a glowing reference so they can just Swan into another job ?
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 19, 03:04 PM  
Link to this Post
jakesmum
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by Beth_Disney View Post
Does you son have the kind of job where he could compromise and offer to pick up more than his fair share of the duff shifts (evenings, bank holidays, Christmas etc.) over the next 12 months in return for having the annual leave for Orlando?

Are you going on away during the school or uni holidays? Could your son take the time off as unpaid and arrange for a part timer (possibly a student) to do his shifts instead?
Unfortunately he already works pretty rubbish times (IMO, doesn't bother him though) he does 10 - 7, 5 days a week which normally includes both weekend days. Holiday is in school time which is the most annoying thing as I had already spoken to his college and DD's school at the beginning of last year so they knew what was going on, made sure it was after DD's SAT's but before her days going to visit the secondary school, or when her leavers party is on or when they are going to a theme park as a end of primary school treat. It was actually a perfect 2 weeks to take them both out sighhhh.

We will just ride the storm worse things happen at sea as they say, no-ones dying, its not really a once in a lifetime thing (though we'll never all be celebrating big birthdays at the same time again) and in the grand scheme of things, monetarily, its £400

All I can do is hope for the best and prepare for the worst and know at the end of the day, our actual birthdays are before we go so he will be at my birthday and I will see him turn 18 and really, that's what's important

Edited at 03:09 PM.
jakesmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 19, 03:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I see your point, but I see it differently. If he is good enough they won't want him to leave so they will agree to it.
Er no

When I was The clinical lead in an operating theatre I Have unfortunately had to turn people down for annual leave. Staffing levels are usually very finely tuned. If a member of my staff has threatened to quit because they hadn’t given enough notice I’d probably print off the resignation form.

I feel for the OP and her son he’s young, but life lesson learnt. I suspect he’ll always get annual leave in ontime now

I’m sure you’ll have a great if not slightly different holiday it’s weird when the kids don’t come anymore but can also be enlightening
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 19, 04:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Bluefish
Getting Excited

Maybe in an ideal world but not the real world
Bluefish is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 19, 04:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

This exact thing happened to my best friends daughter last year. They was going away for 3 weeks and they kept reminding her to get it sorted at work but she kept forgetting lol she’s a good girl but her head is in the clouds ! Her workplace refused her holiday so she (actually her dad but in her name) did a huge e mail to the manager explaining that it was a ‘once in a lifetime’ trip, all booked and paid for etc etc apologies for late request of holiday leave, big lesson learned etc etc then said that because the holiday was so important she would be more than happy to take the time off without pay.
The company then allowed her two weeks holiday and one week without pay.
Jobs are so hard to come by, especially good jobs so forcing the issue is a big no no but a big of grovelling can go a long way
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 19, 04:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Bats
Disney Cruise Line VIP!

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 13
I'd love to work for you if that's the way it works ... force their hand and if you're god enough they'll let you do what you want.

What about the customer in all of this? If 2 people are off and that's the maximum allowed, who will cover his work when they give 3 people the time off?

Crazy thinking!
Old 18 Jan 19, 04:31 PM  
Link to this Post
colin39
Imagineer

Mobile

All of a sudden i can see 2 weeks sickness 😂��😂
Old 18 Jan 19, 04:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Scaramouche
Imagineer

I’d fire you... sorry but that isn’t how the real world works. Having had to reject annual leave, take annual leave off people who have already had it booked, cancel their days off in their shift patterns, I can’t tel you now that it’s horrendous.

HOWEVER, anyone that would have threatened to leave would have been told exactly how to do that. Rejecting AL isn’t a light decision, especially if something is already booked and in place. It makes you feel awful even when you don’t know the person. But that’s how it is.

OP it seems you are in better spirits today . I hope he gets it sorted, I’m very OCD but I can understand how some people don’t realise how important it is to mention things like AL. Honestly my OH didn’t before we go together - and why would he? He’s been on 0 hour contracts for 15 years so he’s never needed to formally ask for time off. It’s only in the last two years where one of his zero hours got made to an houred contract that he has to do it.
Forget Regrets... Or Life Is Yours To Miss.. No Other Road, No Other Way.. No Day But Today.. ♪
Scaramouche is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List