Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 18 Jan 19, 07:17 PM  
Link to this Post
jakesmum
Excited about Disney

That's my thinking too Tinkerbell, thank you it was going to happen soon enough that it would be one less, so if it happens it happens, can't change it so no point fretting it any more

This is pretty much what we have told him to do FloridaTilly, he's going in tomorrow and putting his case forward, grovelling and hopefully his manager can pull a rabbit out of a hat for us, but if not, it will teach him to not leave everything to the last minute! I feel this year will be a year of learning the hard way lol. In defence of the company, the first lady he spoke too did go through the rota and try and work it for him and said 'I'm not sure i'm going to be able to grant it' with the 2 people all ready off, so not an outright no but a very large inkling toward it. He can only ask at the end of the day

Thank you Scaramouche, yes i'm much more level headed today, I don't like being caught off guard lol, when you give me bad news or ask for something that going to make me flinch (girlfriends staying over comes to mind! ) you have to let me digest it and then come back to me when I've had a chance to put my initial 'are you kidding me? ' into perspective.

Looool Colin absolutely 100% not, he made this mess and we will all live with the consequences, better he learns now at 18 about these things than in 15 years time when there could be a family with him that needs supporting.

Edited at 07:19 PM.
jakesmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 19, 07:20 PM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

This totally sounds like the type of thing my DS would do! Hope he gets it sorted.

Wild Africa Trek photo report

PoohBears#1fan is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 19, 07:24 PM  
Link to this Post
jakesmum
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by PoohBears#1fan View Post
This totally sounds like the type of thing my DS would do! Hope he gets it sorted.
as awful as it sounds I am soooo glad to read other people have the same 'in the clouds' problems with their kids that I have with mine, part of me misses the days I could just sort this stuff myself but as I keep saying to DH, he's a grown up now, he needs to start dealing with these things himself because I am NOT going round his house in years to come to fill in forms for him, pay his bills and all the other boring things we adults have to do to keep our lives running! My head is telling me that this is a very important lesson I need to teach him about responsibility, my heart is still desperately wanting to go down his work and try and sort it like he's still a child (I promise I wont!)
Old 18 Jan 19, 09:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Andybear
Imagineer

Originally Posted by elliecjno1 View Post
Can he not take unpaid leave? Thats always a last ditch option in our place.
I don't think that would work as reading the OPs posts the problem is that other people have the same time booked and they can't spare him also.
Andybear is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 19, 08:44 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by colin39 View Post
All of a sudden i can see 2 weeks sickness 😂��😂
Maybe that is a joke. But suggesting that he chucks a sickie or (as another poster suggested) threatens to resign over his own mistake is not helpful, not for anyone but definitely not for a newcomer to the workforce.

It is hard for 18 year olds to find their first job, the youth unemployment rate is more than double the national rate. Building a poor attendance record or trying to explain to the next employer that he left his previous job because he wanted to go on a Disney holiday but forgot to book leave so he left in a strop, is not the right way to start out a working life.

I hope that he gets it sorted, but if he doesn't, well I am sure he won't do it again.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 19, 08:52 AM  
Link to this Post
HirosBaymax
slightly serious Dibber

Fingers crossed your son manages to get the time off! Sorry to hear this, its always a concern of mine!

Keep us updated OP
Old 19 Jan 19, 09:33 AM  
Link to this Post
dubletrub
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 3
Mobile

This thread has reminded me to check my son has sorted his holidays, although the same company he moved stores in December so I hope he has sorted his holidays out with the new store. They where in with the old store but not sure if hes told the new one. He's a flaky 20 year old, think I've spoiled him 😂😂
dubletrub is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 19, 09:57 AM  
Link to this Post
Frankie & gang
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

It scares me today how naive younsters are re leave. My DS is in his first job since uni, he thought the 1 week pre-booked holiday in summer wouldn’t be taken out of his 20 days AL as it was “pre-existing” & would just be honoured!
He has a 1st class degree
Old 19 Jan 19, 12:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Junogirl1
VIP Dibber

Junogirl1's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 11
Restaurant Reviews: 8

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 5
Not quite annual leave as I’ve not held a job yet, but in May, I had a letter from my psychiatrist booking an appointment for the day after my birthday. I knew we would be going to see Hamilton then, so since the letter came on a Saturday, I said I’d call on Monday. I didn’t.
Come August 8th, I was waiting for a tube to Baker Street and I had a text alert that my NHS appointment was in two hours. I get those alerts because I’m constantly losing letters because of my ADHD. Spent an hour wondering what appointment I was supposed to be going to as I wasn’t having my cast off for another week and I hadn’t yet had a date for my operation. When it finally hit me that it was for the psychiatrist, I couldn’t call him because I didn’t know the number (thanks to my dyscalculia!) and so my father had to call him and tell him I was sick.
Lesson learned though.
Or was it?
No, actually it wasn’t. After I finally had my appointment, I was supposed to call him back in two weeks. That was seven weeks ago. The irony was that I was calling him back for more ADHD medication so this type of thing wouldn’t happen.

Edited at 12:57 PM.
Junogirl1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 19, 02:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Leggibone
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Beth_Disney View Post
Does you son have the kind of job where he could compromise and offer to pick up more than his fair share of the duff shifts (evenings, bank holidays, Christmas etc.) over the next 12 months in return for having the annual leave for Orlando?

Are you going on away during the school or uni holidays? Could your son take the time off as unpaid and arrange for a part timer (possibly a student) to do his shifts instead?
This was what i would have suggested, but to be fair when I worked in retail if it was school holidays my manager would have been reasonable about doing this (I was in an odd position for a while where I had to time my holidays with the managers and the other full timers on my section, but if the managers weren’t off and there was a reasonable chance of part timers being able to pick up where needed it would have been allowed).
You haven’t said what job he does, but it may be that or hope he moves department again.
2014 - Rosen Inn International, Hard Rock Hotel, Yacht club and Bay Lake Tower! Mr Bears Grand Adventure, 2015- A sneaky to DLP- Sequoia Lodge, 2016- Another WDW trip... BLT, AKL, HRH and Rosen Inn - Mr Bear takes Boris to WDW, 2022 - Taking the small fry…. Coronado spring addition, 2024 - Riding solo?
Leggibone is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List