Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 18 Jan 19, 03:40 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile Odd things about a new build property

Afternoon!

We have just been to view a new build house, while it is absolutely gorgeous, after speaking to the lady in charge of the site some aspects have come as a bit of a surprise.
We have bought 2 new builds so far, neither of which suffer the problems that this new one does.
Firstly, there will be no payments around this new development. Is this a new thing? I feel like it would be really weird to not have anywhere to walk (apart from the road obviously) but maybe that’s something I’d get use to.
The second thing is, the plot we are looking at is on a road that won’t be “adopted” by the council, meaning we would have to drag our bins around the big quad of glass in front of our house to a designated bin area, then I guess we are responsible for maintaining our road? She was really trying to put a positive spin on it.

Would these two things annoy you enough to strike it off the list? Or am I being flakey?
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 19, 03:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Bluefish
Getting Excited

I would have to see the plans and layout of the development before I decided if the pavement was an issue, but the adopted road bit doesn’t bother me I have lived in my current house for 8 years and the road is still not adopted niether is most of the development, some of the development is 20+ years old and the roads are still not adopted.

It is very likely we will have moved long before the roads are adopted by the council

Edited at 03:47 PM.
Bluefish is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 19, 03:46 PM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

Certainly in our area the new builds have got less appealing over the years, DH & I have bought 4 new builds between us through cash sales for rental investments, to live in and also part exchange, we'd be incredibly unlikely to buy one now - the things you've mentioned I have come across recently whereas they were unheard of years ago.

The other thing we've encountered when looking recently for an investment property was houses being lease hold!

Most odd, yet the pull of having stamp duty paid is still keeping them afloat around where we live.

Wild Africa Trek photo report

PoohBears#1fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 19, 03:48 PM  
Link to this Post
RickT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mrs_O View Post
Afternoon!

We have just been to view a new build house, while it is absolutely gorgeous, after speaking to the lady in charge of the site some aspects have come as a bit of a surprise.
We have bought 2 new builds so far, neither of which suffer the problems that this new one does.
Firstly, there will be no payments around this new development. Is this a new thing? I feel like it would be really weird to not have anywhere to walk (apart from the road obviously) but maybe that’s something I’d get use to.
The second thing is, the plot we are looking at is on a road that won’t be “adopted” by the council, meaning we would have to drag our bins around the big quad of glass in front of our house to a designated bin area, then I guess we are responsible for maintaining our road? She was really trying to put a positive spin on it.

Would these two things annoy you enough to strike it off the list? Or am I being flakey?
Pavements... quiet common for new builds on cul de sacs not to have them.

In regards to road adoption, after 9 years our road has finally been adopted, bins have always been collected. no maintenance has ever been required though nothing on the deeds or otherwise detailed we had any responsibility over the road either. (council have changed light street bulbs too!)

You need to be asking what the plans are for the council adopting the road.
Las Vegas 18 - Florida 18 -Holland 18 -Bratislava 18 -Florida 17 -Holland 17 -Rhodes 17 - Kos 17 - France 16-Belgium 16-Holland 16-Germany 16-Sopot Poland 15-Kos 15-DLP SQL 15-Hampton Lakes 14-Hamburg 14- Berlin 13-WestRidge Villas 12-Krakow 12-France 11-Turkey 11-Germany 10-Marbella 10-Jamaica 09-Dublin 09-Dublin 08-Paris 08-Zante Villa 08-Egypt 2008-Rhodes 2008-Sweden 08-Norway 08-Rhodes 07- Huatulco Mexico 07-DLP Magic Circus 2007-Dublin 2007-Sweden 07-Greece 06/05/04-Barcelona 04-Rhodes 02
RickT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 19, 03:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Mazbar
Imagineer

Mazbar's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 6
You also need to know about insurance if it isn’t adopted, if someone falls outside your house you could be liable. Personally I would look elsewhere.
Mazbar is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 19, 03:51 PM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

It would be enough for me to walk away to be honest.

No pavements = even less general "space" in a development, smacks of squeezing in as much as possible.

Unless it is one of those "deluxe" developments where there are no roads to try and discourage the hoi-palloi from entering the estate. (our local estate has a road at one end and a public footpath through fields at the other and they made it no-pavement to make people less likely to use it as a cut-through - we just walk down the middle of the estate road)

Unadopted roads = depends how many people are responsible for the repair and maintenance of how much road space, what insurance is in place in case of accidents due to bad maintenance etc.

The road could also be unadopted deliberately to make it seem a "private road" for the reasons above - would check carefully the locations of any public footpaths.
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 19, 03:52 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by RickT View Post
Pavements... quiet common for new builds on cul de sacs not to have them.

In regards to road adoption, after 9 years our road has finally been adopted, bins have always been collected. no maintenance has ever been required though nothing on the deeds or otherwise detailed we had any responsibility over the road either. (council have changed light street bulbs too!)

You need to be asking what the plans are for the council adopting the road.

There are no plans, that’s why they have built a designated “bin” area.
Old 18 Jan 19, 03:55 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Looks like there will be 11 of us to share the responsibility for the road.
Old 18 Jan 19, 03:57 PM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

Looks like there will be 11 of us to share the responsibility for the road.
Looks like a public footpath entering the bottom and exiting the top... so everyone and their dogs could be walking in front of the house with no pavements.
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 19, 04:01 PM  
Link to this Post
RickT
Imagineer

There are no plans, that’s why they have built a designated “bin” area.
Is there a maintenance scheme in place which will cover the general ownership of keeping the development tidy and rubbish collection?

Seems strange to have a central bin location, but then it will look a lot tidy on bin day and when they fail to show up !

Is the development flat ?
Las Vegas 18 - Florida 18 -Holland 18 -Bratislava 18 -Florida 17 -Holland 17 -Rhodes 17 - Kos 17 - France 16-Belgium 16-Holland 16-Germany 16-Sopot Poland 15-Kos 15-DLP SQL 15-Hampton Lakes 14-Hamburg 14- Berlin 13-WestRidge Villas 12-Krakow 12-France 11-Turkey 11-Germany 10-Marbella 10-Jamaica 09-Dublin 09-Dublin 08-Paris 08-Zante Villa 08-Egypt 2008-Rhodes 2008-Sweden 08-Norway 08-Rhodes 07- Huatulco Mexico 07-DLP Magic Circus 2007-Dublin 2007-Sweden 07-Greece 06/05/04-Barcelona 04-Rhodes 02
RickT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List