Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 18 Jan 19, 11:50 PM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mrs_O View Post
Yep, they also need to be able to fit a shower in them to pass building regs apparently. We ripped everything out of ours and use it as a utility room. The one in this new house could be used as a bowling alley, it’s huge. I would never want to use it. Can’t think of anything worse then having to clean 4 toilets.
the one we looked at you could fit a shower , free standing bath and double sinks and still have room to spare

seems insane for waste so much space downstairs...
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 19, 12:09 AM  
Link to this Post
scoobydooby
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Our new build didn’t have the roads adopted for three years after we moved in. Then it did. It was only a mighty pain when it snowed as we live at the top of a hill and we never got gritted.
Old 19 Jan 19, 08:23 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

We bought our new build 16 years ago, we are on a cul de sac with about 25 other houses, we love it, very quiet in the main.
I’d never really thought about it believe it or not, but there is not really a pavement. It’s all block paved with a sort of 2 foot wide darker block verge. Never been an issue.
It is adopted though. That bit may cause me some concern. Will it be paved or tarmacced? If it’s tarmacced it may eventually require re doing, but with only 11 houses that will likely be decades. My in laws live in a small private cul de sac with only about 6 houses, and it hasn’t needed doing to my knowledge in 30 years.
If it’s block paved like ours , then it will probably last longer than you.
I once looked at moving to a similar sized gated development about 4 years ago, which would have been an unadopted road I imagine, but again block paved. It wouldn’t have put me off that one , a big selling point was it was privately gated.
Old 19 Jan 19, 08:49 AM  
Link to this Post
HirosBaymax
slightly serious Dibber

Hmm have looked at a few new builds myself and never heard of those things either! Personally I wouldn't personally go for a property with those, but each to their own if its a nice area and a good price go for it!
Old 19 Jan 19, 09:53 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

My house is about 30 years old but until 5years ago was the newest built houses in this village all rest ex council houses. Now the never did the road. It’s now a private road. It is full of potholes that my husband has filled with cement a few times. It is awful and one of the reasons we hate this house. It’s ruining the car. Everyone squabbles over spaces. Our front garden is on this road and the row of houses in front has there back garden on. There’s probably 24 arguing over where they park their cars, if they can get into their garages. Now when we bought we were told by the estate agents that there were plans to tarmac the road they were waiting on prices. We were very young and didn’t really understand houses etc so still bought it. 11years later and it’s not done as half the people will pay to tarmac the other half who are majority in there 70s who don’t drive understandably don’t want to pay so the arguing continues.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 19, 10:56 AM  
Link to this Post
Scottishmam
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by olgaandcoda View Post
My main issue would be lack of parking for visitors. There doesn’t seem to be much space in the roads outside and that would soon have people parking on the front gardens and them getting chewed up. A nice estate soon looking tatty!
We live in a new build and the roads are narrow apparently for speed prevention. We thought parking would be a nightmare so we just got them to pave the whole front garden so there is room now for 6 cars if we needed (if all parked straight!) Really glad we did it. We don't like gardening though (and actually put artificial grass out the back.) so it may not be good idea for them who like a nice front garden with plants etc. Some areas of ours don't have pavements (at the bottom of dead ends with bollards so people can still walk) but the roads are so quiet you don't really notice tbh.
Scottishmam is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 19, 11:29 AM  
Link to this Post
Juliemack
waiting impatiently...!

Juliemack's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Originally Posted by lindyT View Post
I agree, but blame the Council planners more for allowing them to be able to!
'Planners' get blamed for all sorts of things outside their control. If you want to blame someone, it should be the government, as they are the ones that set the standards.
Juliemack is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 19, 11:35 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
To me the critical thing is parking availability. That takes precedence over everything else as it can cause chaos if not catered for.

We live in a Cul de Sac that was built in the late 40's early 50's

10 houses all with drives. I have just counted up and there are 23 cars. Up until 6 months ago there was 26

It changes as Children grow up and leave home.

But in addition there can be builders vans, cleaners cars, deliveries etc etc.

The very thought of not having a proper pavement and insufficient parking fills me with dread.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 19, 12:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Juliemack
waiting impatiently...!

Juliemack's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
To me the critical thing is parking availability. That takes precedence over everything else as it can cause chaos if not catered for.

We live in a Cul de Sac that was built in the late 40's early 50's

10 houses all with drives. I have just counted up and there are 23 cars. Up until 6 months ago there was 26

It changes as Children grow up and leave home.

But in addition there can be builders vans, cleaners cars, deliveries etc etc.

The very thought of not having a proper pavement and insufficient parking fills me with dread.
Totally agree, I live in a terraced house. Luckily I'm the end one at the start of the street and there is ample parking for us but it is a nightmare for my neighbours further up the street.
My son is currently looking to buy a house, he will have three vehicles to park and I keep stressing to him to consider the parking issues as I can imagine it could be very stressful playing musical cars on a daily basis.
Juliemack is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 19, 12:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by Juliemack View Post
Totally agree, I live in a terraced house. Luckily I'm the end one at the start of the street and there is ample parking for us but it is a nightmare for my neighbours further up the street.
My son is currently looking to buy a house, he will have three vehicles to park and I keep stressing to him to consider the parking issues as I can imagine it could be very stressful playing musical cars on a daily basis.
My Son has just got a new build. He spent ages poring over the plans until he found one with a double length drive and a 6ft wall to one side of it.

He gets many envious glances as he is the only one on the road with such a 'luxury'.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List