Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 19 Jan 19, 02:11 PM  
Link to this Post
coggie
Imagineer

Mobile

I like the idea that someone else mentioned and make one for them...from experience ten meal recipes will do for them.

Also buy a slowcooker... makes life much easier too
coggie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 19, 02:15 PM  
Link to this Post

surely the best idea is to get a A5 ring binder and add your own receipts, you can even laminate them

that way you can design your own to suit
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 19, 02:33 PM  
Link to this Post
olgaandcoda
Imagineer

olgaandcoda's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

A slow cooker would be ideal. Chuck all ingredients in, come back to a lovely hot stew! Batch freeze some!
Failing that- pot noodles!
Old 19 Jan 19, 02:42 PM  
Link to this Post
dubletrub
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 3
Mobile

Originally Posted by matt987106 View Post
surely the best idea is to get a A5 ring binder and add your own receipts, you can even laminate them

that way you can design your own to suit
Not even thought of that, will get her a book before hand I think so she can try some different things at home but I will do her one of these personal ones for when she goes.

For those who mentioned slow cookers I have suggested one of those but she has said she will see when she's in halls if she needs one.
dubletrub is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 19, 05:30 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Mobile

Jamie’s ministry of food is very good
Old 19 Jan 19, 06:49 PM  
Link to this Post
roxie2001
Imagineer

Originally Posted by dubletrub View Post
Just to add I am a cook and daughter and I clash in the kitchen as I am a bit of a control freak and she is very impatient so I have said I will step back and let her learn through books. Some of the student books are very simple with few ingredients I believe
We were looking at the Nosh one Lell and will check out the how to boil an egg thanks fizzypop.
Going to buy her the ingredients let her follow the recepie on her own and let her cook tea once a week.
Oh and I are cooks and have to leave the kitchen when Dd cooks. It’s painful to watch her take so long to grate cheese lol. I know it comes with practise and she is getting better so we let her get on with it and not try to take over. Her tin opening skills still need some work though.
Her and her bf have started baking and have a made their own book with recipes. The cookies turned out well and they made and decorated a cake. I wouldn’t get an actual cookbook as when they first started they used to stick to the recipe rigidly, they made scones but the mixture was wet and oh had to step in and teach them to add flour, they have improved since then.
Instead look at gadgets to help, Dd has a cheap plastic omelette maker you stick in the microwave. She’s actually great at making any kind of eggs now. Also an acti fry is brilliant
She will make jackets, noodles, pasta, pizza with a ready made base and simple things at the moment.

Edited at 06:50 PM.
roxie2001 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 19, 08:45 PM  
Link to this Post
asdageek
Imagineer

I have a wee book my mum wrote down her family favs for me and shortcuts she found that worked, i have added to it and my sis has written recipes on napkins which i have stuck between the pages...i love it its so personal and full of great meals (and love!) when my daughter moved to halls i started one for her and she has added to it too x
asdageek is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 19, 08:59 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

I have just started a folder of recipes for DD ready for uni. She has asked me to put together some simple instructions for family favourite meals. She doesn’t cook much at home but is keen to not have to rely on ready meals or fast food as we don’t eat those at home and she doesn’t like them.
DisneyDaffodil is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 19, 05:50 PM  
Link to this Post
joxxxxx
Disney's Yacht Club Guest

Any of the Jack Monroe books.
joxxxxx is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 19, 08:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridasun
Imagineer

Nosh for students on Amazon. There are 2 and both are good and simple.
Floridasun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List