Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 19 Jan 19, 06:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Boo-Bobz
Helping Minnie

Mobile Age gap between children

Hi Dibbers,
DH and I have decided we will try for another baby when we return from Florida later this year.
We already have DD(9) and DS(6)
Just wondering what people’s experience of having a bigger age gap between children. I’m worried baby will grow up feeling like an only child as the interests of our older 2 will be so different.
Boo-Bobz is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 19, 06:58 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsBC
VIP Dibber

MrsBC's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 11
Restaurant Reviews: 50

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 10
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Boo-Bobz View Post
Hi Dibbers,
DH and I have decided we will try for another baby when we return from Florida later this year.
Just wondering what people’s experience of having a bigger age gap between children. I’m worried baby will grow up feeling like an only child as the interests of our older 2 will be so different.
He or she will probably be completely spoiled by the other 2
DCL Magic, DCL Wish
BOOKED - Beach Club Villas Sept '24, Disney Treasure Sept '25
TRIP REPORT INDEX
www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=835984
MrsBC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 19, 06:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisa123wm
Imagineer

Mobile

Mine are 20, 18 and 13. 23 months between the eldest two and 4yrs 9 mths between the youngest two.
Ideally, I’d have had a 2 year age gap between each one. But, we didn’t think about having a third until the second started nursery and we got a bit broody.
As it is, the younger two are closest as our eldest is autistic and doesn’t have the usual sibling bond 😕
Aug/Sept 09, Jan/Feb 10 - DLP, Aug 13 - NPBC DLP
Lisa123wm is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 19, 07:07 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

We have two boys who were 11 and 13 when we had our daughter. I had always wanted 3 or 4 children but couldn’t afford a third while the boys were very young, but we decided to have one more when I was 35 as I didn’t want to leave it any later so it was then or never.

There are pros and cons. DD wasn’t as close to her brothers as they were to each other as children but now she is 18, she gets on better with middle son than the older son does. She was an only child in many ways growing up, but her brothers love her and are there for her now she is older if she wants advice or help from them and they all get on well.

I had more energy with our older two, but far more patience with DD. DD and I are very close and get on very well as friends as well as mum and daughter. I love them all equally of course and they all have their own special qualities. I never regret having a ‘late’ baby and I don’t think it has caused any problems for DD or her siblings either
DisneyDaffodil is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 19, 07:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Vinniecat
Imagineer

We have 4 children there are 10 and a half years between the oldest and the youngest. It can be difficult at times because what the older ones want to do the younger ones can't. Then the older ones don't want to do the same as the younger ones. However there are also advantages. I do wish mine were a little closer in age but I wouldn't swap them. My grandparents had 5 children and there were 19 years between their oldest and youngest. That was because my grandma thought it was impossible to get pregnant after the age of 40! My mum was the second child and is 17 years older than her youngest sister. They are very close.
Vinniecat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 19, 07:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Megandllsmum
Imagineer

Megandllsmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Mobile

10 years between my 2 girls one is 10 one 20
Megandllsmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 19, 07:30 PM  
Link to this Post
floridasgirl
Imagineer

6 yrs between mine. DD15 and DS9. Not planned, just the way it happened. They get on brilliantly (most of the time! ).
Like others say, the youngest will always be spoilt, especially with a bigger gap!
Christmas/New Year 1999/2000 Indian Ridge Villa, May 2001 Fort Lauderdale /I Drive/Port Charlotte/Key West/Miami, May 2005 Westhaven Villa, April 2006 Rotunda Villa/Highlands Reserve Villa, June 2007 Sanibel Villa/Grand Cypress Villas, Christmas/New Year 2010/2011 Lake Wilson Preserve Villa, July/Aug 2012 reunion resort villa, Nov 2012 new York new York!
floridasgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 19, 07:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Loobylou_82
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Boo-Bobz View Post
Hi Dibbers,
DD is nearly 37, DS1 is 33 and DS2 is nearly 28. I planned it that I would have a baby as each child started school, so I could be at home with the baby and give it my undivided attention. Also you could grab a quick nap during the day when the baby slept. All 3 of them are close to each other. Funny thing is daughter has done the same, hers are 14, nearly 8 and 3.
Loobylou_82 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 19, 07:38 PM  
Link to this Post
RachaelC
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I have 2, oldest is 9 and his little sister has just turned one.

Obviously I don’t know how it will be in the future, but at the moment they absolutely adore each other and have done since day one. My son has been wonderful with his baby sister, he did skin to skin with her when she was tiny, he’s changed nappies and she is is favourite person in the whole world.

While I wouldn’t have necessarily chosen quite such a big age gap, it’s been great so far.
RachaelC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 19, 08:01 PM  
Link to this Post
NewtoOrlando
VIP Dibber

NewtoOrlando's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I have 22 months between my 2, they get on brilliantly most of the time (11 & nearly 13 and one of each) They have the same interests and we planned it that way, luckily we did as my health got worse and I couldn't have any more anyway. My middle sister has twin boys, and my older sister has a girl of 9 and a boy of 16 nearly. They have the worst relationship out of all the kids, they cant be in the same room as eachother half the time which is sad to see and I hope they change as they get older!

My oldest sister is 8 years older than me and we weren't close at all growing up, but I was close to my middle sister who is 4 years older than me, but now as grown ups we have a great friendship and I wouldn't be without them. I think it has swings and round abouts, theres never a good time to have a baby IMO, everyone told me I was mental when I got pregnant my 2nd, as my dd was only 15 months old, but it worked out fine, i'm sure your decision will do too!x

Miami/CBR/RPR/Bahama Bay Aug 16
Deerfield Beach/HRH/POFQ/Contemporary/Westridge - Aug 18
New York - Westin Grand Central - Nov 18
Disneyland Paris - Hotel Cheyenne - Dec 18
All Star Sport/POFQ/Aylesbury Villa/Deerfield Beach - Oct 19
Miami/Hard Rock hotel/Pop Century/Legacy Park Dibb Villa - Aug 2022

Saratoga Springs/Rosen Plaza - Dec 2024
NewtoOrlando is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List