Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 14 May 09, 11:49 PM  
Link to this Post
roonlou
Apprentice Imagineer

The Moose Not The Mouse - Day 3 - Reach For The Beach

1st May 2009 Saturday

Still struggling with jet lag, but slept much better, not too disturbed as room very well sound insulated, so managed to sleep in till 6am. Taking things easy enjoyed a coffee in bed. This was followed by delicious cinnamon strudel shredded wheat, which is unfortunately not available in the UK.

The morning had started by looking a little murky, but soon the blue sky clawed its way through the grey clouds, and the weather station promised wet day turned into a bright and sunny one.

Now, not too miss out on a sun smiley day, we washed in our gianormous shower and dressed ready for the day. We took the short drive up the coast to Fort Williams State park to wander around explore.

The park itself exists due to its efforts in the Second World War, with remaining batteries and accommodations for the army folk based there. The park itself stretches along some very dramatic coast line, with a couple of Light houses to warn sailors of the rocky out crops. We spent the morning taking photographs and exploring the area, even spotting a couple of chip monks, squirrels and little league baseball games.

We then hopped back into our off road ride and headed further up the coast to Portland, in the hope of visiting its coast line. After a short drive through the city, we arrived at parking at The Eastern Prom Park, and chose a 2 mile scenic route leading to Black Cove. Turned out not to be very scenic, and I presume it was called Black Cove due to the water treatment path we wandered past. “Is that a giant cappuccinos machine? joked Roo, “No my love, that’s Portland poo” I replied.

Our walk did take us by the scenic Maine Narrow Gauge Railroad, which was a little peculiar as the route also seemed to pass by the giant coffee plant too,

By now, our tummies were starting to grumble, so back into the car, and we asked Tom Tom for his advice on local eateries. Now knowing that the rest of our trip would be quiet rustic, we took the opportunity to visit a chain restaurant – in this case Ruby Tuesdays.

What a great lunch, all you can eat help yourself salad bar – think Harvesters but nice – New England clam chowder and Sam Adams Summer brew! Yum.

Yet again, after eating, we were reminded of our rubbish tolerance to jet lag, and started to slump a little. So stopped at a Dunkin Doughnuts for another iced latte, this time with chocolate syrup and an extra shot. Now, I’m not sure whether it was the chocolate or the extra shot, but this drink wasn’t as palatable as the last. But the need of caffeine outweighed the flavour issues and we drunk them anyway.

Finally back to our deluxe lodging for some well earnt vegetation time.

The hotel had been pretty quiet when we first arrived, but I’m guessing the weekend visitors had descended, and it generally seemed much busier. We took the opportunity to sit out on our balcony, looking out to the sunny skies, and to people watch the other guests. We saw one couple coming back from the beach, whom obviously had been enjoying the Atlantic seas – the give away was the burly man with his wet suit zipped down to his waist, bearing his pasty chubby chest and flippers in hand. Not the nicest view as I’m sure you can imagine.

The call of the ocean was strong, and we soon found ourselves wandering along the board walk down towards crescent beach. With warm sand between our toes, hand in hand we wandered the lengths and breaths of the coast line. It was very warm, and the views out standing – sea birds nesting on rocks, small boats drifting and the gentle ebb and flow of the sea – bliss.

“Your necks looking a bit red”, was possibly one of the biggest understatements of the day. Seems it was a bit warmer then I thought, and my crimson neck was definite proof of that.

No fancy dining for us this evening though, as still remembering the sickness of the first night, so hopped into the motor and headed to Wendy’s for a dirty burger and fries.

Got back to the hotel just in time for the turn down service, which we again declined but took the Ice-cream shaped cookies and tomorrows weather report.

Took advantage of the spa bath – more than big enough for two, and followed that with an evening engaging in polite conversation, reading and playing cards – nah not really, we had a lazy evening chilling out drinking beer and more Food Network TV.

roonlou is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 May 09, 03:31 PM  
Link to this Post

Cinammon Struedel Shredded Wheat sounds yummy. Sounds like you had a lovely day exploring your surroundings.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 May 09, 05:10 PM  
Link to this Post

A great day!
Old 16 May 09, 05:48 PM  
Link to this Post
TrueBlue
Imagineer

TrueBlue's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Another great day and fantastic pics. I like the look of the buscuits the turn down services leaves you
TrueBlue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 May 09, 06:22 PM  
Link to this Post

Portland sounds lovely, it's on my list of places to visit.

I love the Food Network whilst in the US, the programmes are brillant.
Old 21 May 09, 08:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Strommie
Imagineer

Strommie's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Lovely day. I really like the cookies they give you at the hotel.
Old 3 Oct 09, 02:45 PM  
Link to this Post
orlandosgr8
Imagineer

orlandosgr8's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
A lovely day exploring. The cookies are lovely

Orlando 02,04,06,07,08,10,11,12,13,14,16, 18 &
New York 06, 11 and Smoky Mountains 14
orlandosgr8 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Oct 09, 01:48 PM  
Link to this Post
ethanjosh
Imagineer

ethanjosh's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Lovely day again
Old 6 Oct 09, 01:48 PM  
Link to this Post
DIBBadmin
Imagineer

This thread has been automatically closed as it has not been posted on in 365 days.
DIBBadmin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List