Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 24 Feb 18, 03:47 PM  
Link to this Post
loves2plan
VIP Dibber

DEFINITELY keep the boxes! They add so much to the value. We have an attic full of boxes because of this for all sorts of toys and collectables, not just Lego.

We had an incident at Christmas with a Lego box. I'd bought my DH the Star Wars Ewok village set and it was stood on its side (so not laying flat), with all the other Christmas presents around it. DS got a virtual reality headset for Christmas and we were playing with it with some friends who were visiting. Well, my friend 'fell' in the virtual world causing her to spasm and kick out, kicking a HUGE hole right through the side of the Lego box in the process. Me and DH just looked in disbelief, knowing how much the set had just been devalued and we're gutted. Fortunately, I found a box being sold on Bricklink as there are people who buy sets, break them down and sell individual components. So, £15 later, we have a new replacement box, hole free

POFQ: Our 'once in a lifetime' trip, 31st Oct - 14th Nov 2012
SSR: 40th birthday trip, 2nd - 16th Jan 2014
SSR 2 bed villa: my mums first trip, 7th - 21st Feb 2015
POR: An unexpected Easter break, 2nd - 15th April 2016
CBR: Another unexpected Easter trip, 29th March - 12th April 2017
CBR: 18th birthday surprise trip, 21st October - 4th November 2019
Food report - the unexpected Easter QSDP extravagana! April 2017
What do we want? FOOD! When do we want it? NOW! QSDP food report, Oct 2019

Edited at 03:49 PM.
loves2plan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 18, 03:48 PM  
Link to this Post
LLamb
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Poppycat View Post
To keep boxes or not?

Just put the some Batman and Star Wars boxes up in the loft to join every empty box for every model we've ever bought... there is a LOT of it, including Toy Story, Harry Potter, Christmas and Star Wars. Some of these boxes have been carefully carted through airport security over the years.

We've kept every instruction manual too.

The kids have no intention of selling it for now (and some of it is mine!) but the boxes are taking over.

What do you do?
Definitely keep the boxes
We have quite a big loft (4 bed house) and I would say about 1/4 of the space is taken up with Lego

I have carefully flatented the boxes and then keep all the instructions flat separately
Stored sets are numbered bagged in zip loc bags as per the instructions. Or for the sets before numbers were introduced the sections they are built in

Think I might be slightly ocd
LLamb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 18, 10:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Poppycat
Imagineer

Poppycat's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Originally Posted by LLamb View Post
Definitely keep the boxes
We have quite a big loft (4 bed house) and I would say about 1/4 of the space is taken up with Lego

I have carefully flatented the boxes and then keep all the instructions flat separately
Stored sets are numbered bagged in zip loc bags as per the instructions. Or for the sets before numbers were introduced the sections they are built in

Think I might be slightly ocd
I must be too!

Thanks both. All the boxes have the original bags in them, but I havn't flattened them, so they take up a huge amount of space. I won't let the kids open the boxes when they get new sets, I do it - carefully.

We've got a lot of Thomas boxes, Postmat, ELC type stuff which we always keep too although recently found boxes for things we've given away

I'll tell DH to stop moaning
Poppycat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Mar 18, 05:06 PM  
Link to this Post
jas72
VIP Dibber

I have the hogwarts one as well as few other hogwarts pieces never considered selling them don't have any boxes though I wonder if I could make more money from breaking them up is there a site you can check to see how much spare parts sell for?

Old 8 Mar 18, 05:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Megandllsmum
Imagineer

Megandllsmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Mobile

Originally Posted by jas72 View Post
I have the hogwarts one as well as few other hogwarts pieces never considered selling them don't have any boxes though I wonder if I could make more money from breaking them up is there a site you can check to see how much spare parts sell for?
There's a few listed online, someone on here recommended bricklink I think it was to me cos my daughter had built a house and wanted some picket fencing to go round it. I bought off there and they were very quick but I'm sure you could sell on there too.
Megandllsmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Mar 18, 08:00 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

I got £175 on EBay for my Hogwarts . No box, no instructions, no McGonigle and no Flitwick. Bought in a charity shop.

Sold in anticipation of the megamassivehumungous one believed to be coming out later this year.

Have you seen previews of the HP Great Hall? Coming out later this year at around $99.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Mar 18, 09:10 PM  
Link to this Post

Don't do it!

I had every set from the first 2 films, the castle, train, all the small classroom sets, all of it. Then they brought out a new version of the castle and it annoyed me, just an excuse to make more money rather than adding to sets along the way like the first one did (chamber of secrets added to castle etc, extra classrooms). Then they hardly brought out anything for GoF and I don't remember any after that. When we kept moving, it all ended up back in the boxes in the loft, then we had DCs and had no space to bring it out. We needed to save money for a house deposit so sold it as a job lot on ebay. Got nearly £500 but had quite a bit of fees on that.

Then I had an unexpected inheritance and my lego mad son was gutted as he really wanted the train. I'm gutted I ever sold it. It was a great collection.

Now I'm debating whether to console myself with the Disney castle Saw it in Disney Springs but was worried about the weight as we had a lot already. Annoying as I had the money.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Mar 18, 10:42 PM  
Link to this Post
LLamb
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by HarryJPotter View Post
Don't do it!

I had every set from the first 2 films, the castle, train, all the small classroom sets, all of it. Then they brought out a new version of the castle and it annoyed me, just an excuse to make more money rather than adding to sets along the way like the first one did (chamber of secrets added to castle etc, extra classrooms). Then they hardly brought out anything for GoF and I don't remember any after that. When we kept moving, it all ended up back in the boxes in the loft, then we had DCs and had no space to bring it out. We needed to save money for a house deposit so sold it as a job lot on ebay. Got nearly £500 but had quite a bit of fees on that.

Then I had an unexpected inheritance and my lego mad son was gutted as he really wanted the train. I'm gutted I ever sold it. It was a great collection.

Now I'm debating whether to console myself with the Disney castle Saw it in Disney Springs but was worried about the weight as we had a lot already. Annoying as I had the money.
I know what you mean about changing the sets. Two versions of hagrid’s hut etc
For gof they only released three sets. Dumstrang ship, graveyard and the carriage
Order of the Phoenix was only one set, another part of the castle. Think I’ll just leave it for now, DS is slowing amassing lots of Batman Lego and no doubt will soon get into Harry Potter so it will be lovely to build them with him

I have the Disney Castle, it’s amazing definitely get it if you can
LLamb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List