Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning Cruise Questions and Tips.

Old 4 Jun 19, 10:54 PM  
Link to this Post
jas72
VIP Dibber

Can I ask are the crew on P&O international like RC or are they all British.

We were thinking of doing Norway this summer but neither of us feels particularly British (all that flag waving stuff) and were just wondering if it is simply too British on the boat if that makes any sense. My wife is from the Republic of Ireland.

Old 5 Jun 19, 09:44 AM  
Link to this Post
Lisa123wm
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by jas72 View Post
Can I ask are the crew on P&O international like RC or are they all British.

We were thinking of doing Norway this summer but neither of us feels particularly British (all that flag waving stuff) and were just wondering if it is simply too British on the boat if that makes any sense. My wife is from the Republic of Ireland.
We cruised with them at Easter and one of the reasons we won’t cruise with them again is, it’s too British. Everything is aimed at the Brits and almost all of the passengers are Brits.
The cabin attendants and servers are international (lots from India and that region), the higher up crew are mostly British.
We loved RC, didn’t enjoy our experience with P&O at all.
Aug/Sept 09, Jan/Feb 10 - DLP, Aug 13 - NPBC DLP
Lisa123wm is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jun 19, 08:50 AM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Mobile

I’m on board the Azura at the moment to the Fjords.
Most of the crew are Indian, Philippine, or other Asia Pacific countries. The entertainment team are British as are the Captain and very senior crew.
I haven’t noticed many issues with things being too British, yes the headline entertainment acts are British, as are the duo’s/bands playing round the ship, but it hasn’t been thrown in my face.
I haven’t been to sailaway parties etc though, preferring to watch from the Planet bar on the 18th floor on the back of the ship. There has been no flag waving, oggy oggy oy oy behaviour that I have seen.
I did notice on embarkation day that a lot of British men were going to the nicer bars asking for pints of draft lager. When they only had bottles they were stomping off. For me if you like a drink, get the drinks package then you aren’t hunting best value, you do both have to like a drink though as you both need it. I worked out I was spending £15 a day on coffee and bottled water and the odd tea or soft drink, so I only needed 4 cocktails a day to make it pay, and the ports are small you are on board a fair bit. Helped with my budgeting too so I didn’t regret it.

The good news is that after that first day those nicer bars had none of that clientele in. I have to say though, everyone I saw dressed up for formal nights etc.

I didn’t eat at the buffet except a very starving lunch on the first day though; but I did drink in the pub Brodie’s a bit, watch the football etc and it didn’t really bother me. Most people I met were friendly and kind, it was an older crowd overall though.

I am half way through writing a trippie if that helps.

I have had the odd issue; and normally I’m pretty easy to please, but I can’t say they have been nationality based. Any specific questions please shout.
Old 6 Jun 19, 12:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mitch84 View Post
Most of the crew are Indian, Philippine, or other Asia Pacific countries. The entertainment team are British as are the Captain and very senior crew.
I haven’t noticed many issues with things being too British, yes the headline entertainment acts are British, as are the duo’s/bands playing round the ship, but it hasn’t been thrown in my face.
I haven’t been to sailaway parties etc though, preferring to watch from the Planet bar on the 18th floor on the back of the ship. There has been no flag waving, oggy oggy oy oy behaviour that I have seen.
I did notice on embarkation day that a lot of British men were going to the nicer bars asking for pints of draft lager. When they only had bottles they were stomping off. For me if you like a drink, get the drinks package then you aren’t hunting best value, you do both have to like a drink though as you both need it. I worked out I was spending £15 a day on coffee and bottled water and the odd tea or soft drink, so I only needed 4 cocktails a day to make it pay, and the ports are small you are on board a fair bit. Helped with my budgeting too so I didn’t regret it.

The good news is that after that first day those nicer bars had none of that clientele in. I have to say though, everyone I saw dressed up for formal nights etc.

I didn’t eat at the buffet except a very starving lunch on the first day though; but I did drink in the pub Brodie’s a bit, watch the football etc and it didn’t really bother me. Most people I met were friendly and kind, it was an older crowd overall though.

I have had the odd issue; and normally I’m pretty easy to please, but I can’t say they have been nationality based. Any specific questions please shout.
Looking forward to your trip report. We aren’t big drinkers (particularly Mrs O) so a drinks package would never stack up.
Omega1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jul 19, 01:56 PM  
Link to this Post
jas72
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by mitch84 View Post

Thank you very much mitch84 for your post it has put my mind at ease.

Old 9 Jul 19, 06:48 AM  
Link to this Post
Jet
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Lisa123wm View Post
We cruised with them at Easter and one of the reasons we won’t cruise with them again is, it’s too British. Everything is aimed at the Brits and almost all of the passengers are Brits.
The cabin attendants and servers are international (lots from India and that region), the higher up crew are mostly British.
We loved RC, didn’t enjoy our experience with P&O at all.
We thought the same..glad it was not just us!
We did not enjoy P and O at all...not sure if we have been spoilt by Disney cruises...but it was a let down.
After 12 cruises its the only company we would not go back on.
But I will say that Norway is one of the most beautiful places we have ever been to...so that made up for it.
Jet is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jul 19, 09:41 AM  
Link to this Post
Dinglebert
Imagineer

Dinglebert's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Mobile

On Ventura now. Well in Stravanger as I type. Ship good. Entertainment good. Drink prices very reasonable. Not a English school holiday so average age up. No complaints. I probably prefer RCI as I enjoy multi national rather than mainly English. Only two other kilts last night!
Dinglebert is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jul 19, 11:40 AM  
Link to this Post
Floridag1rl
Apprentice Imagineer

We have done P&O Azura, P&O Britannia and have booked the new ship Iona for next June all Ffords cruises just fabulous.
Old 10 Jul 19, 12:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Dinglebert
Imagineer

Dinglebert's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Mobile

In olden as I type. 22c. Stunning scenery. Best day so far. Excellent comedian last night. Met a women last night who basically lives on ships. Must be in her 80’s. Been 13 world cruises. Coming off this cruise and straight on Queen Mary for two weeks to NY and back
Dinglebert is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jul 19, 01:40 PM  
Link to this Post
SquishTheWhale
Imagineer

Mobile

Sounds lovely! What did you do in Olden?
SquishTheWhale is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List