Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 17 May 19, 03:07 PM  
Link to this Post
JoJoBell
VIP Dibber

JoJoBell's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Customs allowance into USA

We are flying with Thomas Cook

They have a deal on for four for the price of three on spirits

On my booking is three adults

If we each ordered a litre bottle are we allowed to order the ‘free’ bottle

I know we can only bring one litre each back into the UK duty free

Dont want to try and do something illegal
JoJoBell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 May 19, 03:23 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

If you are buying it to consume in the US than I'd save your money in my experience it's cheaper there anyway than the duty free price
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 May 19, 03:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Mrs Valentine
Imagineer

Mrs Valentine's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 21
If you are over the top, they will take the lot if you are stopped. We dont smoke but have a friend that we bring back cigarettes for and they were doing a buy 2 get one free, but we declined as we didn't want to get the lot taken off of u, so just got the two packs. (They will not let you keep your allowance and just take what you have got extra away, IUCWIM). Our friend was gutted lol.

DisneyJulie
Mrs Valentine is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 May 19, 03:47 PM  
Link to this Post
RickT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Guest View Post
If you are buying it to consume in the US than I'd save your money in my experience it's cheaper there anyway than the duty free price
No, the Thomas Cook offer on SMIRNOFF Blue export 50% is Ł12 a bottle for 1 litre, which on the deal is Ł9 a bottle based on 4.

airshoppen.thomascookairline...noff-blue-3581

In Walmart, its approx $20 for the blue label per bottle

walmart/ip/Smirnoff-...-1-L/123916549
Las Vegas 18 - Florida 18 -Holland 18 -Bratislava 18 -Florida 17 -Holland 17 -Rhodes 17 - Kos 17 - France 16-Belgium 16-Holland 16-Germany 16-Sopot Poland 15-Kos 15-DLP SQL 15-Hampton Lakes 14-Hamburg 14- Berlin 13-WestRidge Villas 12-Krakow 12-France 11-Turkey 11-Germany 10-Marbella 10-Jamaica 09-Dublin 09-Dublin 08-Paris 08-Zante Villa 08-Egypt 2008-Rhodes 2008-Sweden 08-Norway 08-Rhodes 07- Huatulco Mexico 07-DLP Magic Circus 2007-Dublin 2007-Sweden 07-Greece 06/05/04-Barcelona 04-Rhodes 02
RickT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 May 19, 07:01 PM  
Link to this Post
JoJoBell
VIP Dibber

JoJoBell's Reviews
Originally Posted by RickT View Post
No, the Thomas Cook offer on SMIRNOFF Blue export 50% is Ł12 a bottle for 1 litre, which on the deal is Ł9 a bottle based on 4.

airshoppen.thomascookairline...noff-blue-3581

In Walmart, its approx $20 for the blue label per bottle

walmart/ip/Smirnoff-...-1-L/123916549
Yes i think its cheaper on the plane

I certainly wouldn't attempt to take on more than I should I just dont know how much I can legally take in
JoJoBell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 May 19, 07:14 PM  
Link to this Post
RickT
Imagineer

help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...V1llbw%3D% 3D
Las Vegas 18 - Florida 18 -Holland 18 -Bratislava 18 -Florida 17 -Holland 17 -Rhodes 17 - Kos 17 - France 16-Belgium 16-Holland 16-Germany 16-Sopot Poland 15-Kos 15-DLP SQL 15-Hampton Lakes 14-Hamburg 14- Berlin 13-WestRidge Villas 12-Krakow 12-France 11-Turkey 11-Germany 10-Marbella 10-Jamaica 09-Dublin 09-Dublin 08-Paris 08-Zante Villa 08-Egypt 2008-Rhodes 2008-Sweden 08-Norway 08-Rhodes 07- Huatulco Mexico 07-DLP Magic Circus 2007-Dublin 2007-Sweden 07-Greece 06/05/04-Barcelona 04-Rhodes 02
RickT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 May 19, 08:02 PM  
Link to this Post
silverfox46
Imagineer

Originally Posted by RickT View Post
Am I reading that correctly. Even if we were to buy onboard , we would be charged tax by them on it
silverfox46 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 May 19, 08:27 PM  
Link to this Post
chmurf
Imagineer

Originally Posted by silverfox46 View Post
Am I reading that correctly. Even if we were to buy onboard , we would be charged tax by them on it
yes

duty free means you don't pay the taxes at the "shop" (even if on board)

but purchasing "duty free" only means you don't pay the taxes at time of purchase

next, you have to clear customs

you're only allowed to bring 1 litre per adult, into the US.
If you have 4 litres for 3 adults, you will need to declare, and you have 2 choices :
- pay the duties on the extra liter
- bin the bottle at customs

if you don't declare and get caught ... you don't want to think about that ...

Purchasing free of tax is one things. Importing the goods is another thing.
you may only bring as much as your allowance, for free. Whatever is over that allowance is either taxed, or confiscated.
Purchasing duty free does not mean you can import, for free, the goods you've bought. That's where the allowance comes into play
chmurf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 May 19, 09:03 PM  
Link to this Post
silverfox46
Imagineer

Originally Posted by chmurf View Post
yes

but purchasing "duty free" only means you don't pay the taxes at time of purchase

If you have 4 litres for 3 adults, you will need to declare, and you have 2 choices :

you may only bring as much as your allowance, for free. Whatever is over that allowance is either taxed, or confiscated.
Purchasing duty free does not mean you can import, for free, the goods you've bought. That's where the allowance comes into play
Thank you, mine was a hypothetical question and never buy more than a litre between us anyway.
Never bought to enter US before but was considering buying some Bloom Gin if a decent price at Airport

Edited at 09:05 PM.
silverfox46 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 May 19, 09:23 PM  
Link to this Post
JoJoBell
VIP Dibber

JoJoBell's Reviews
Originally Posted by chmurf View Post
yes

There are actually 4 adults as our daughters friend is coming but she is on a different booking as we asked her to come a few weeks after we had booked

So I have presumed that if she wants a bottle of something she will have to buy her own and not have our ‘free’ bottle