Voters: 357. You may not vote on this poll

Old 6 Feb 20, 09:57 AM  
Link to this Post
Megandllsmum
Imagineer

Megandllsmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Mobile

I asked my daughter before she left for school earlier about this as they were talking about it on GMB, she said they don't do it but she also said they are expected to be respectful in other ways, hands up instead of shouting out, show respect for classmates as well as teachers... She said everything's that tight at school with timings if they had to stand up and down every two minutes they would get nowt done cos TAs come in and out as well as other school staff.
I'm trying to think back to when I was at school I don't think we did this but we were very respectful otherwise the blackboard rubber came our way or you were sent to the dreaded workroom 😱
Megandllsmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Feb 20, 10:00 AM  
Link to this Post
coggie
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by DisneyDaffodil View Post
I completely agree that standing up for teachers wouldn’t instill respect. All of my children were classed as respectful to teachers (not my opinion, the school praised them) throughout their school lives.

However, I know that my children actually respected the teachers who respected them far more than some other teachers. They knew that many teachers were interested and invested in teaching and took a great interest in their pupils and cared for them.

However, there were teachers who did not show an interest, appear to care or even set a good standard of teaching (I.e pupils left to copy out of a book constantly, homework never marked, teachers not turning up for lessons) and these teachers did not gain my children’s respect. My children behaved well for them and were polite, but did not respect them. Respect has to work both ways, although I stress that many teachers were good (even in a very poorly rated school).
I can understand that, so it was the actions of the teachers that gained the respect not the rules
coggie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Feb 20, 10:10 AM  
Link to this Post
archibald
Imagineer

Originally Posted by SussexFamily View Post
Oxymoron
'a figure of speech in which apparently contradictory terms appear'
I know what one is, I just don't think the phrase in question is one, and you did ask ...
archibald is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Feb 20, 10:13 AM  
Link to this Post
archibald
Imagineer

Anyway, back to the OP, I think it's a good way to recognise that the lesson is starting, concentrate you mind, and crack on. We stood for some of the older teachers at primary but only at the start of each session, not if they or any other teacher came in randomly.
archibald is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Feb 20, 10:17 AM  
Link to this Post
coggie
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by archibald View Post
Anyway, back to the OP, I think it's a good way to recognise that the lesson is starting, concentrate you mind, and crack on. We stood for some of the older teachers at primary but only at the start of each session, not if they or any other teacher came in randomly.
So there were different rules /guidelines for different sets of teachers?
coggie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Feb 20, 10:37 AM  
Link to this Post
SussexFamily
Imagineer

Originally Posted by archibald View Post
I know what one is, I just don't think the phrase in question is one, and you did ask ...

I asked if it was oxymoronic because the poster stated:

It is out dated - in the same way as good manners, basic respect, obedience to parents/teachers etc,

In as much as he believed standing up when for a teacher is 'out-dated' in the same way as good manners etc is

I would argue that the two are linked, the lack of respect, manners, obedience and discipline is due to not being taught - whether in the classroom or at home about those very things. You did ask.
SussexFamily is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Feb 20, 10:38 AM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by SussexFamily View Post
Oxymoron
'a figure of speech in which apparently contradictory terms appear'
I know what an oxymoron is - just not sure why you thought what I wrote was one.
The point I was making is kids (and many others) these days have no respect for anything etc. etc.

Edited at 10:41 AM.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Feb 20, 10:45 AM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Mobile

Very big generalisation, It is certainly only a small minority who are disrespectful to any teacher who is respectful to students and deserving of that respect back.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Feb 20, 10:51 AM  
Link to this Post
Pino_Spetzberg
Imagineer

Mobile

This could possibly have a negative impact on teaching staff mental health.
The expected interaction in the classroom with pupils and students is partly based on dominance and submission.
Over time this can become their mindset outside of their working environment.
A tendency to unconsciously and subconsciously patronise within routine social interaction.
Encouraging behaviours which reinforce this perspective will likely cause additional stress as separation of perceived status in and out of the classroom vary between imagination and reality.
Pino_Spetzberg is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Feb 20, 11:05 AM  
Link to this Post
tim17
slightly serious Dibber

I went to a grammar/boarding school and we had to wait in the corridor for the teacher to arrive before we entered the classroom, there was a strict uniform policy as well as a ban on make-up, earrings etc and haircuts such as a skinhead meant exclusion until your grew back to an acceptable length. If this particular school feels standing up when a teacher enters the room improves discipline then parents should just accept it.
tim17 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List