Notices
Guest Services Site Questions, a tech query or just want to test something.

Old 22 Mar 20, 09:01 AM  
Link to this Post
Ellelledee
Imagineer

Mobile WiFi booster?

Our WiFi in our house is pretty rubbish. There are 4 of us and the WiFi is not strong at all - we have 2 sky q boxes and then DS has his PlayStation and dd uses her Mac book and obviously we have mobiles which use WiFi. Thing is obviously being home alone most of the time for the foreseeable is going to be a nightmare if they can’t get signals but also I am now working from home and the system kept crashing on Friday cos I don’t think my WiFi is strong enough. Anyone know of a good - easy to use - booster that’s not too expensive?
I’ve searched on google and amazon but I’d like people’s actual opinions
Ellelledee is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Mar 20, 09:13 AM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I’m not sure about a WiFi booster but have you called your provider to see if they can do anything?
I’m with Sky and last month I called them about my package and they managed to change my broadband from the regular to Fibre for £5 a month less. I’ve now got rapid WiFi here and there too is 4 of us with various devices in the house

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Mar 20, 09:23 AM  
Link to this Post
Ellelledee
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by smithlane View Post
I’m not sure about a WiFi booster but have you called your provider to see if they can do anything?
I’m with Sky and last month I called them about my package and they managed to change my broadband from the regular to Fibre for £5 a month less. I’ve now got rapid WiFi here and there too is 4 of us with various devices in the house
Tbh I think we have the fibre - how can I check what we have? I think calling is out of the question at the moment as they say they have high volume of calls due to Coronavirus affecting sports etc. A few months back we got stopped in town by the sky sales team and he sorted a good deal for us. I am pretty certain at the time he said about our broadband and that it would be amazing and that if not to contact them. But Dh watches TV in the front room and his sky is always fine so regardless of the kids moaning that their WiFi is slow or me complaining that my sky in our room is being temperamental he doesn’t take any notice n it’s his account.
Ellelledee is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Mar 20, 09:32 AM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I’m not sure how you would check. Are you with Sky then for everything including broadband? If you are then possibly on your MySky app?
Also if you have your landline with Sky you get prioritised in the queue so could be worth calling them to see what they say.
Actually just remembered a friend has a BT WiFi booster that really helps in her household but not sure if you have to be with BT in the first place to get one.
I’m a complete technophobe, all I know is I need as fast a speed as I can get before the arguing starts 😂

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Mar 20, 09:37 AM  
Link to this Post
Ellelledee
Imagineer

Mobile

I’m also a technophobe 😂. I’ve just logged into our sky account to see what we have and it says we have fibre. It also allowed me to test the signal - but it means NOTHING to me. I did see we have 10 connected devices using the broadband - Dh and I have both switched our iPads WiFi off for the time being and DS said it made a difference to what he has been trying to download. So maybe it is that we just have a lot of things connected to the WiFi which is slowing us down and we don’t realise. I’ll see how it goes. Thank you
Old 22 Mar 20, 09:41 AM  
Link to this Post
vampiress88
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Ellelledee View Post
I’m also a technophobe 😂. I’ve just logged into our sky account to see what we have and it says we have fibre. It also allowed me to test the signal - but it means NOTHING to me. I did see we have 10 connected devices using the broadband - Dh and I have both switched our iPads WiFi off for the time being and DS said it made a difference to what he has been trying to download. So maybe it is that we just have a lot of things connected to the WiFi which is slowing us down and we don’t realise. I’ll see how it goes. Thank you
You need to do a Speedtest.
Just bare in mind that a speed test gives you the speed to your property then from there will effect individual devices depending on what you are using them for. The more people on the internet the same time the more you are sharing your speed.
vampiress88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Mar 20, 09:46 AM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Ellelledee View Post
Yes that makes sense, just turn off the WiFi to any device you’re not using

IG - alicialanesmith
Old 22 Mar 20, 09:48 AM  
Link to this Post
vampiress88
Imagineer

Mobile

Boosters will help you if you have a “black spot” in your hose but boosters don’t generally make the speed faster.
vampiress88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Mar 20, 09:54 AM  
Link to this Post
Moorlandman
Imagineer

Moorlandman's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
If you have a standard construction home and it’s not a mansion, I would recommend BT Broadband Fibre with their Smart Hub 2 router - this is the best modem available with any broadband package.

Even comes with a WiFi guarantee
Moorlandman is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Mar 20, 10:18 AM  
Link to this Post
BucksBugsy
All round good bloke

Sky q wifi can be a pain in the backside because (from memory) they transmit both 2.4 and 5 Ghz on the same SSID. This confuses some devices.

Warning - this post contains a lot of tech speak!

2.4 ghz may be slower but it covers more distance and travels through walls better that 5ghz.

In our house what I have done is bought a separate wifi access point which is 2.4 only and connect the devices which dont need 5ghz to that access point leaving only the devices that need the faster speed to connect to the 5ghz

Alternatively you can change the sky q router settings to split them out but "dont try this at home unless you know what you are doing"!

If you have an android phone you can install an app called "wifi analyzer' which allows you to see the signal strength if your wifi as you walk about the house (I dont believe this is possible on an iphone as apple dont allow the use of these types of applications)

In our case because one room has really bad coverage i ended up running a network cable into the loft to eliminate wifi issues.