Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 14 May 09, 11:29 PM  
Link to this Post
roonlou
Apprentice Imagineer

The Moose Not The Mouse - Day 1 - The Adventure Begins

30th April 2009, Thursday

Super mad rush around to get stuff sorted for the trip, had planned to meet our friend Ross for lunch, but didn’t manage to get to the Airport till just gone 1pm. He did meet us at check-in to wish us well on our journey. We took full advantage of the automated check-in and printed our own boarding passes, and used the Club bag drop – no queues. Then another perk, off through Fast Track security and finally the adventure could begin.

A last minute stop for some new sunnies for Roo, and then a spot of lunch at Wagamama’s. Having regularly visited Wagamama’s during our working day, it was an extra special treat to finally enjoy a beer with our noodles.

So, now off to the lounge, and on route stopped at the Elemis Spa to book our complementary treatments. Our appointments were in 20 minutes time, so we headed up into the lounge to enjoy a wee dram of whiskey while we waited.

At the agreed time we returned to the spa and completed the obligatory personal information form and then we were both led to separate treatment areas. Roo had requested a scalp and should massage, while I chose the hand and arm treatment. I was seated in a massage chair and then asked if preferred relaxing or invigorating setting – no question, relaxing. I then had a wonderful 15 minutes of warm oils, hot stone hand and arm massage, while the automated chair gently stretched and smoothed out any lumps and bumps on my aching body. Bliss.

Once the treats were completed we headed off to the B Terminal, via the little train and into the next lounge. Much smaller, and quieter than the main Terminal, but still as pleasant. Enjoyed a cup of tea before heading to Gate B44 to board our 747 to Boston.

We managed to get the seats we wanted booking on line the day before, so boarded the plane and headed upstairs to row 62 A and B. It was lovely to have our jackets taken off us, and a glass of champagne placed in front of us.

The pilot seemed a little crazy with his pre flight chit chat, but soon had us taking off, and heading to New England. The flight was very smooth, apart from when our meal was served and the turbulence picked up and the seat belt signs came on. The food was amazing; we both enjoyed seared scallops with fennel and pesto. Followed by mushroom risotto and a chilled glass of Sancerre. I chose cheese for desert, and enjoyed a glass of port to help it go down.

So all fed and relaxed, grabbed a 30 minute nap and watched a film. Ice creams were offered, but I declined. About an hour before landing, sandwiches and scones were offered, but also declined as feeling a little unwell.

We landed at 18:30 to find Boston bathed in sunlight, and mild temperatures of about 16 degrees. We quickly got off the plane, and even quicker through customs, only to experience being almost the last people to receive our baggage.

Headed out of the Terminal and waited for the transfer bus to Dollar to pick up our off road stead for the fortnight. After slight communication problems – ie, we actually got into the wrong car with all our baggage before we realised the key didn’t fit! We headed off out of Boston city into the darken night in our Grey Suzuki XL7 guided by our Tom Tom to our first hotel of the trip. We were both really tired at this point, and I was starting to feel really unpleasant.

But we arrived safely at Marriots Courtyard in Danvers just before 9pm, and checked into a rather modest but clean and welcoming room. And the first thing I did was throw up in the bathroom. Fortunately I bring a well stocked collection of medicines for all kind of situations including sickness – unfortunately I could keep them down. So here began the long long night, finally finished being violently sick at around 2:30am. Roo had had some Rockstar on the flight to try and help with jet lag, so thanks to the super shot of caffeine and my general noisiness, neither of us had managed to get much sleep.
roonlou is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 May 09, 11:37 PM  
Link to this Post
elliemay
Imagineer

sorry to hear you had a bad trip to start with hope thing improve
Old 15 May 09, 03:24 PM  
Link to this Post

Oh no! After the lovely relaxing Elemis treatments I thought your holiday was off to a great start. Hope you were feeling well again soon.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 May 09, 05:02 PM  
Link to this Post

Great flight, hope your feeling better soon!
Old 16 May 09, 05:29 PM  
Link to this Post
TrueBlue
Imagineer

TrueBlue's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Awwww not a good start to the holiday for you Hope you got over your sickness quickly. Lovely pics by the way
TrueBlue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 May 09, 06:15 PM  
Link to this Post

Great start, apart from you being unwell. Hope you recovered quickly.
Old 19 May 09, 08:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Strommie
Imagineer

Strommie's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
The flight sounds great, really sorry you were unwell when you arrived.
Old 3 Oct 09, 01:53 PM  
Link to this Post
orlandosgr8
Imagineer

orlandosgr8's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Poor you being poorly, hope it didn't last too long

Orlando 02,04,06,07,08,10,11,12,13,14,16, 18 &
New York 06, 11 and Smoky Mountains 14
orlandosgr8 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Oct 09, 01:42 PM  
Link to this Post
ethanjosh
Imagineer

ethanjosh's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Good start, what a shame about you feeling ill, hope you got better.
Old 6 Oct 09, 01:42 PM  
Link to this Post
DIBBadmin
Imagineer

This thread has been automatically closed as it has not been posted on in 365 days.
DIBBadmin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List