Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 6 Aug 09, 10:22 AM  
Link to this Post
wickesy
VIP Dibber

Windy City, Smoky Mountains ~ Day 0 - Down To Heathrow

As I wanted a relaxed start to the holiday I had decided to take today off work. I was still awake at the usual time but didn’t get up until 8:00 and spent most of the morning on the net before doing online check-in when it opened at 11:45.

As I hadn’t been able to pre-request seats with British Airways I was a bit worried about what seats we would end up with but we were in fact allocated the exact seats I wanted - at the back of the World Traveller Plus section so I wouldn’t have to worry about people behind us when reclining. There were a few seats still available when I looked at the seat map but obviously I stuck with what I had and our boarding passes were soon printed off.

We had a taxi booked to take us to Heathrow at 2:00 but he phoned us at 2:00 to let us know he was running late and arrived just before 2:15. We set off for Heathrow and despite atrocious traffic on our high street we were at the Heathrow turn-off of the M4 about an hour later. Now despite the fact that we had told the driver we were not booked in to the main Holiday Inn by the roundabout he decided to ignore the fact that his sat-nav was directing him to the postcode we had given him and take us to exactly that Holiday Inn. I pointed out, again, that this was the wrong one and after about 10 minutes of driving round we were eventually dropped off at the smaller Holiday Inn on the corner of Sipson Way and Bath Road.

We checked in with no problems at all, had room 3120 allocated to us and arranged a taxi for 9:00 in the morning to take us over to Terminal 5.

Once we had dropped our cases off in the room we went down to the bar for a pint of Stella each before going back to the room at 5:15 to wait for the restaurant to open for dinner.

After an hour on my DS we went back downstairs and into the restaurant for a 2 course buffet. We both started off with salads and then followed it up with gammon, courgettes, stuffing and parsnips. Cost was £19.99 each. Suitably stuffed we adjourned to the bar where we had a large brandy each before going back to the room to relax for a while.

Just before I went to bed I switched the light on in the bathroom, there was a pop and all the lights in the room went out! We worked out that a bulb had probably blown and blown a fuse so we phoned down to reception and a few minutes later somebody came up and reset the trip switch, wherever it was, and all the lights came back on. We were in bed by 9:45 ready for the holiday proper to start tomorrow.

Day 1

Trip Reports: WDW '07 ~ WDW '08 ~ SF & Disneyland '08 ~ WDW '09 ~ Smokies '09 ~ DLP '10 ~ DCL '10 ~ Crown Princess '11 ~ WDW '11 ~ DCL '12 ~ DCL '13

Edited at 11:08 AM.
wickesy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 09, 10:53 AM  
Link to this Post
castanea1985
Imagineer

castanea1985's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 11
Am so looking forward to your reports, David... memory lane!

Tracy xx
castanea1985 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Aug 09, 06:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Strommie
Imagineer

Strommie's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Nice start, the hotel looks lovely
Old 8 Aug 09, 10:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Sarah84
Imagineer

Great start. The HI looks nice, we are booked in there the night before our trip next month
Sarah84 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 09, 10:54 PM  
Link to this Post

Taxi drivers eh? Room looks nice. Off to read some more.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 09, 07:42 PM  
Link to this Post

Great start David... off to read the next installment.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 09, 10:29 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyMadAng
Imagineer

Sounds like a nice relaxing day before your flight.
DisneyMadAng is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Sep 09, 03:49 PM  
Link to this Post
orlandosgr8
Imagineer

orlandosgr8's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
A great start to your holiday.

Orlando 02,04,06,07,08,10,11,12,13,14,16, 18 &
New York 06, 11 and Smoky Mountains 14
orlandosgr8 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Sep 09, 03:49 PM  
Link to this Post
DIBBadmin
Imagineer

This thread has been automatically closed as it has not been posted on in 365 days.
DIBBadmin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List