Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning Cruise Questions and Tips.

Old 28 May 19, 11:42 AM  
Link to this Post
Elodie
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Gill H View Post
We prepaid our gratuities so we knew we didn’t have to budget for that onboard.
I didn’t know you could pre-pay gratuities, that sounds really handy. I’d definitely look at doing that.
WDW Nov 1988/DLP Cheyenne Aug 2016/DLPDLHDec 2017/DLP Santa Fe May-Jun 2018/Magic at Sea cruise Jul-Aug 2021/WDW & 2 Wish cruises Aug-Sep 2023/DLP Newport Bay Compass Club Aug 2024/Fantasy’s first ever cruise from the UK Jul-Aug 2025
Elodie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 19, 11:52 AM  
Link to this Post
Elodie
Imagineer

Originally Posted by gismo1554 View Post
So there are a few things to think about that aren't really hidden but definitely things to factor in.

Tips - you have four people that are tipped as course on a Disney cruise. Its roughly $12 per person per night to cover the four people (room steward and 3 wait staff that you have through the cruise). You also will have gratuity added onto alcoholic drinks or drinks purchased from a bar/coffee shop

Drinks - soft drinks are free with meals and there is a drinks station on the pool deck where you can get free soda and coffee. All alcohol is charged and if you ask for a soft drink at a bar or venue such as the theatre then this will have a charge

Port Adventures - I would look at the ports you are looking to go to and check the available port adventures in advance so you can decide if this is something you would want to include. You don't by any means have to do any port adventures (I'm not in September when I cruise). In some ports you also are able to book excursions seperately to the cruise line but again all down to you so worth researching. On Castaway Cay (Disneys private island) only Disney excursions can be booked but again there is plenty to do without booking an excursions.

Speciality Dining - so dining works that you rotate around the main dining rooms with your waiters. This is all included in the price but there are adult only speciality restaurants (Remy and Palo) that may be an option. Dining in these incurs additional costs

Childcare - so nursary use has fees attached. The kids clubs are free of charge but may have additional fees for certain activities (sorry no kids so not 100% sure one this)

Food - the main restaurants and the fast food type places plus the buffett are all included. Room service is also free of charge although you should tip the server who brings it. Food on Castaway Cay is also included.

Snacks - any snacks onboard are charged. There are some things such as cookies etc that you can get for free from fast food locations as well as on room service. Drinks from the coffee shop are also charged although the cakes they have in there are free and you don't have to order a coffee to go and get them. There is also on a few ships an ice cream/sweet shop and these are charged

Shop - obviously souvenirs etc are all chargeable

Activities - most activities are free. All I can think of that is charged are the alcohol tastings and the childs princess tea.

I'm sure I've missed a few other things here too but can't remember.
Thank you for all these details - that’s really reassuring that there wouldn’t be many unavoidable costs. Our children will be either 13 and 9 or 14 and 10, so I’m guessing kids clubs would be free? None of us would need alcohol (DH is teetotal and I only tend to have a drink every few weeks / months, so easy to give that a miss.)

A big thank you to everyone who replied, it definitely sounds like a cruise is something we can consider - now I just need to decide whether to do a 3 day cruise before / after our WDW holiday next year, or wait and do a 7 day cruise in 2021.
WDW Nov 1988/DLP Cheyenne Aug 2016/DLPDLHDec 2017/DLP Santa Fe May-Jun 2018/Magic at Sea cruise Jul-Aug 2021/WDW & 2 Wish cruises Aug-Sep 2023/DLP Newport Bay Compass Club Aug 2024/Fantasy’s first ever cruise from the UK Jul-Aug 2025
Elodie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 19, 02:36 PM  
Link to this Post
gismo1554
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Elodie View Post
Thank you for all these details - that’s really reassuring that there wouldn’t be many unavoidable costs. Our children will be either 13 and 9 or 14 and 10, so I’m guessing kids clubs would be free? None of us would need alcohol (DH is teetotal and I only tend to have a drink every few weeks / months, so easy to give that a miss.)

A big thank you to everyone who replied, it definitely sounds like a cruise is something we can consider - now I just need to decide whether to do a 3 day cruise before / after our WDW holiday next year, or wait and do a 7 day cruise in 2021.
Yes free kids clubs so that's a bonus!

So personally I would never do a 3 day as by the time u are onboard and settled its time to leave again. I'm doing 4 in September and that's always the least I recommend as otherwise its just so rushed.
Old 28 May 19, 02:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Bats
Disney Cruise Line VIP!

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 13
I'd personally wait until 2021 and do a 7 night, but if you're desperate, a 3 or 4 night can be good - I'd go for 4 if possible though as 3 is over in a blink of an eye.

Recommended tips are $13.50 per guest per day. You can't actually pre-pay your tips per se, what you can do is add credit to the right amount to your onboard account. That way, when they take the recommended amount, it's already there.

Room service is free (most tip up to $5 cash per delivery), but the easiest way to remember is that anything in a packet (popcorn, M&Ms, peanuts etc are chargeable). Here is a link to the latest menu so you can see for yourself: Room Service Menu

You can get a discount off of the photo packages (with no obligation) before your cruise, you should be sent a link for that. If you decide that you don't want the photos, or perhaps only want 1 or 2, then you can cancel while onboard and get a refund.

All youth activity areas for 3 years and older are free with no chargeable activities. They open from 9am until midnight (to 2am depending on age).

Have you had a read of the sticky thread up the top? It will give you a good overview of DCL.

Joa
Old 28 May 19, 09:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Elodie
Imagineer

Yes, I think you’re right. In fact, I know you’re right and the only reason I’m torn is because I don’t have the patience to wait another year!

Looking at the itineraries, 3 days would work so that we could feel that we’d done a Disney cruise, but 7 days would really give us chance to properly experience it and enjoy it. Waiting until 2021 will give us plenty of time to get to know what we’re doing, so I think we’ll do that.
Old 1 Jun 19, 10:53 AM  
Link to this Post
Merryweather17
Apprentice Imagineer

People have covered the main extra costs, one thing to note is if you use any spa service - even just the rainforest room then you have a 18% gratuity charged automatically. The one thing that will cost you is the 4 other cruises you book because you loved it so much and it is addictive we rebooked on board for august and will probably do a place-holder booking on that cruise too!
Merryweather17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jun 19, 11:03 AM  
Link to this Post
OutbackAddict
Imagineer

Mobile

My wife and daughters loved the onboard bingo and I loved the 2 for 1 Mai Tai cocktails served whilst the bingo was on which seemed to add a fair bit to our spends🙂

Paul
OutbackAddict is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List