Link to this Post
Scruffette
Very Serious Dibber

Newlyweds in the Caribbean: Curse of the DLXDDP - Day 8 - Day at Sea

Newlyweds in the Caribbean: Curse of the DLXDDP - Day 8

Index

Thursday 6th September

Day at Sea

We woke up this morning around 7.40am feeling very refreshed after sleeping for over 12 hours. I think this was actually 8.40am as the clocks had gone forward last night. We didn’t realise straight away as we didn’t have last night’s navigator to remind us.

I was still feeling a bit down about missing dinner last night. This evening we were going to Palo, so that would be two nights in a row not seeing our tablemates. However, between some busy days and my cold, we clearly needed the rest and this would mean we could really enjoy our day at sea today. We were very fortunate to not feel hungover at all. Good job we guzzled so much water at 3.15 am!

Anyway, at least we were fully refreshed for a taxing day of going to the spa and eating!

We did catch our stateroom host in the hall and asked if we could have some trick or treating bags, as today was ‘Halloween’ (on the 6th September). He said it was only for kids, but did come back with some bags for us.

We stopped by reception to ask for a navigator for today. We didn’t receive a navigator the night before either (no idea why), but they found a copy for us. I like to keep a full set!

I was super hungry, so we headed down to Royal Court for a sit down breakfast ( I keep accidentally calling it Royal Palace, so may use these interchangeably at times).

Unlike last time where they were running out of pastries, this time they had plenty so we indulged in one or two. I went for cinnamon and chocolate and Ollie had fruit pastries.

I had a hot chocolate, water and a lemsip again!

Ollie started with a Mornin tug boat – fresh blend of strawberries, bananas, almond, raisin granola and low fat yoghurt.

Look at him trying to be all healthy!

I went for the same again - Disney Cruise Line Breakfast Trio -
French Toast, Belgian Waffle and Buttermilk Pancakes served with Cinnamon Butter, Syrup and Whipped Cream accompanied with Bacon

Mmm, sugar and carbs. Except this time I asked for no pancake and an extra piece of French toast. They actually brought me three pieces of French toast! It looks the shape of garlic bread, but don’t worry, it was definitely French toast. I also asked for a sausage instead of bacon, but they brought me both.

Ollie went for the Traditional Eggs Benedict - Toasted English Muffin with Grilled Canadian Bacon served with Poached Egg topped with Hollandaise Sauce, grilled Roma Tomatoes and link Sausages

It was pretty empty in here during breakfast.

After breakfast it was time to head to the Rainforest room, ahead of our massage. Prior to the cruise, we ordered a day pass each ($16 ) which was waiting for us in our stateroom when we arrived.

We’d used the rainforest room on the Magic previously, but much preferred the Fantasy version.

There were various steam rooms and saunas, rainforest showers ( I always avoid the cold ones!), heated loungers and Jacuzzis overlooking the ocean.

I really felt the room on the Magic was missing a Jacuzzi, so was glad to see one here. Even better it had a view! I also love heated loungers and it’s my favourite place to have a sneaky nap.

It was soon time to check in for our couple’s sweedish massage.

This was super relaxing and just what we needed after a few busy days. Although it’s great that the room has an ocean view, it’s a bit lost on you when you’re facing the floor for most of a massage!

Disney massages aren’t cheap, and if it wasn’t a special trip this isn’t something we would do as we can’t justify the cost.

Of course, afterwards they try to sell you some products, even trying to guilt Ollie into buying some products for me.

They asked when the last time I had a massage was. I have them very rarely (I’ve only ever had 5 or so), but the last one was actually only two weeks before!

After a bit of a relax in the amazing heated loungers, we got dressed and headed down for lunch.

This was our only day we’d get to try a sit down lunch, so it was back to Royal Court for the second time today! (If we didn’t have our Palo reservation, it would have been 3 times…)

Since our last trip, Disney have revamped their lunch menus and we were very impressed with the choice. However, I can’t find the actual menu we had online anywhere, so you’ll have to make do with my descriptions…

Ollie asked specifically for a window table, which was a great idea. I love how blue the sea is in the Caribbean, such beautiful colours.

To start we shared some bruschetta and some lettuce wraps.

I would have liked an extra bruschetta, as it was tasty but small!

Then a steak salad to share, with blue cheese and croutons.

For mains we shared two dishes. One was a chicken dish with some kind of grain, goat cheese and veggies. This was nice, but not as tasty as the description made it sound. (I’m sure my description also makes it sound incredibly appetising!)

We also had a carbonara style dish, which was really well done.

There was also a burger on the menu in a pretzel bun, which I was tempted by.

For dessert, we shared a mint choc chip sundae and red velvet cheesecake. I preferred the sundae of the two, but then again I always think mint and chocolate is a winning combination.

After lunch we did some trick or treating. However, it was towards the end of the time period and they were already packing up. So it was a bit of a mad dash around the different stations, mainly around decks 3 and 4. We did return some of the goodies as lots we received were quite heavy on peanuts.

This was my first time ever trick or treating. Doing it in style on a Disney ship! Our haul was mainly chocolate based, although Ollie would have preferred more sweets than chocolate.

Here is our haul…

Big fan of the white chocolate twixes.

After dropping off our haul and taking today’s verandah picture (such blue water!), it was time to go back to the rainforest room.

We started in the sauna, but found this a bit too hot (unusual for me). Ollie then tried out some of the showers, I passed on the one titled ‘cold fog’…

We then spent the remaining time alternating between the Jacuzzi and the heated loungers.

I was concerned that on a sea day that the rainforest room would be really busy. The morning was a lot quieter and there were more people in the afternoon, but there was still space in all the rooms and we both got a lounger. A kind lady then swapped so we could have loungers together.

Eventually we dragged ourselves away, and stopped off for a little snack!

I had some squash and feta pizza – very fancy! Ollie had a pulled pork sandwich. We sat in Cabanas as it had turned grey and started to drizzle.

The adult pool area was very empty with the changing weather.

It was then time to get ready ahead of this evening.

We saw these really cute doors on our way to the show. Some people changed their magnets each day – now that’s expert planning!

Tonight’s show was Dana Daniels, described as magic and comedy. The show was ok, but I wasn’t a big fan. I found it a bit simple and corny in places (and this is from someone who loves corny Disney shows!). The kids in the audience seemed to enjoy it though.

After the show we took a quick look in the shop, and found a recipe for something that looked very close to ‘Ohana bread pudding!

I also noticed this beautiful detail near the lifts -

We then caught the end of Mickey’s mousquerade party, with all the characters in their Halloween costumes.

A lot of the ship was dressed up tonight and we saw a range of costumes. We didn’t bring any due to lack of luggage space, but this was no issue as we had our Palo reservation tonight and couldn’t exactly rock up to Palo in fancy dress (even though there was a lady dressed as Jasmine in there!)

It was now time for our 8pm Palo reservation, via a quick stop in the stateroom to change into our fancier clothes.
Scruffette is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 19, 09:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Scruffette
Very Serious Dibber

We checked in and were shown to a table, where we were again greeted by Borys. I like that they give you the same server if you eat at Palo multiple times.

We both ordered a glass of prosecco, has to be done in an Italian restaurant.

Our bread selection -

Loving the garlic flatbread!

Borys then made us up an antipasti plate, without any olives as we both dislike them.

Both the balsamic and parmesan were suitably aged.

We asked about having a pasta dish instead of an appetiser, and Borys suggested getting two appetisers and then having a pasta dish with the main instead. Ok then!

To start I had Fritto di Calamari e Gamberi - Deep-fried Shrimp and Calamari with Lemon-Garlic Mayonnaise and Marinara dippings

I had to be talked into this as I’m not the biggest calamari fan. I’m glad I was persuaded as the shrimp was amazing and huge! I’ve never seen shrimp that big.

Ollie had the special, which was blue cheese gnocchi, which melted in your mouth.

You can tell you’re somewhere fancy when there is a violinist!

Dessert menus were brought out before mains, no prizes for guessing what I ordered…

Sorbet to cleanse the pallet –

For mains, Ollie had the Roasted Rosemary-rubbed Rack of Lamb - with Roasted Carrots, Caponata, Olive Oil Potatoes, Rosemary Jus on the side

Ollie was talking to Borys about this, and he said it is one of his favourite dishes, although he doesn’t normally include it in his recommendations as lots of Americans don’t like lamb.

I had the Grilled Prime Beef Tenderloin - with Pancetta Potato, Sautéed Spinach, Barone Chianti Wine Sauce.

That gorgonzola sauce was delicious.

We also had the Caramelle di vitello - Pasta stuffed with Milk braised Veal, Pancetta and Porcini Mushrooms

This was very rich, so a good sized portion. I love that it looks like wrapped up sweeties.

For dessert, we each had the Chocolate Soufflé - with Vanilla Bean and Chocolate Sauce

Obviously. How can you come to Palo and not have the chocolate soufflé? As good as always.

When discussing desserts, Ollie was intrigued by another, so Borys brought us this aswell.

Limoncello Tart - Served in an Almond Crust, topped with Yogurt Cream and Carmel

Ollie really enjoyed this, I tried a small bit but wanted to concentrate on my soufflé!

After we had finished, Borys brought us these lemoncello based drinks.

We settled up and left a tip for Borys and made our way downstairs (stopping at the posh toilets outside Palo first, obviously).

Ollie and I have been discussing whether we prefer brunch or dinner at Palo, having now done brunch twice and dinner three times. Our verdict – brunch is our preference.

There is so much choice at brunch and it feels really decadent. We also love the food at dinner and it’s nice to have a special meal during the cruise, but it isn’t as unique as the brunch.

Now that the price has gone up again to $40pp ($30 during our trip), we’ve made the decision to only go for brunch next time.

Maryellen Hooper was doing another comedy set in the Tube and we were keen to check this out. Again, we were sat on the high stalls, which I find a bit uncomfortable.

I enjoyed her first set, but I wasn’t enjoying this one as much. That combined with being incredibly full from dinner, we made the decision to abandon the show and head to bed. I felt like I could really feel the movement of the ship tonight, but Ollie couldn’t, so it might have been my imagination!

Tonight’s towel animal…

Quite scary to walk into this one at eye sight!

And so ends another relaxed day at sea. I was really excited for a day in paradise tomorrow – our return to Castaway Cay!

Day 9 – Castaway Cay

Edited at 07:01 PM.
Scruffette is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 19, 10:18 PM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

I love white chocolate but I can’t take to white chocolate Twixes, and I am quite sad about it. I can't believe they weren't keen on adults Trick or Treating, how mean.
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 19, 11:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Palm trees
Apprentice Imagineer

Wow, your food photos from Palo have really got my mouth watering, it all looks so delicious.
Palm trees is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Apr 19, 06:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Scruffette
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by collybird View Post
I love white chocolate but I can’t take to white chocolate Twixes, and I am quite sad about it. I can't believe they weren't keen on adults Trick or Treating, how mean.
I think our stateroom host was just quite surprised that we wanted to trick or treat. But we're on a Disney cruise, how could we not want to?! Thanks for reading

Originally Posted by Palm trees View Post
Wow, your food photos from Palo have really got my mouth watering, it all looks so delicious.
It was delicious, particularly the chocolate souffle! Thanks for reading