Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 27 Apr 19, 08:37 AM  
Link to this Post
our holiday
Helping Donald

Want to book flight...advice please.

Hello,

I'm hoping someone can give some advice please.

I am planning to book icelandair from Glasgow -REY-Orland for next Easter (going for 3 weeks).

My return leg has just came on today, so I'm itching to book but my gut is telling me to wait for a few days to see if flight price goes down but my nerves are saying book. its more than i'd hoped to pay as indirect but also would love to have the relief of being booked.

Its £3081 (not including seat reserve so might be more) for 2A and 2 C.

Please can someone give a bit of advice perhaps from previous with iceland air bookings costing at this time of year?

Also, is there any way you can tell how many seats are booked on a flight?

Thank you,

Edited at 09:33 AM.
our holiday is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Apr 19, 08:43 AM  
Link to this Post
christybell
Imagineer

Hi ,
I cant help specifically with Icelandair, however that seems really expensive to me.

We are a family of four and always travel peak Scottish school holidays- either Easter or summer and have never paid anywhere near 3K.

I would wait and also consider other routes if you can. What dates are you looking for?

July 2009 ASM/TI/Hmew'd Suites
August 2010 OKW/Dibb villa
July2011 OKW/RPR/Cocoa Beach/Dibb Villa
July 2012 RPR/Carnival Destiny/Dibb Villa
July 2013 OKW/Anna Maria Island/Dibb Villa
Nov 2013 Sunset Lakes- my 40th Birthday
April 2014 Cruise and Villa
April 2015 Clearwater/RPR/Dibb Villa
Dec 2015 Dibb Villa to see the Xmas lights
July 2016 RPR/Cruise/Dibb villa
christybell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Apr 19, 08:47 AM  
Link to this Post
Rbecking
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

I’ve personally found in past don’t book these long haul flights on the day they released, wait 2-3 days and the price comes down.
Rbecking is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Apr 19, 08:57 AM  
Link to this Post
christybell
Imagineer

Doing a quick comparison search around Easter Travelup have the Icelandair flights much lower than webside direct...have a look

Lufthansa via Frankfurt also have some great price, half of what you have been quoted

BA will release shortly to, I find them reasonable via London

Edited at 08:59 AM.
christybell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Apr 19, 09:12 AM  
Link to this Post
our holiday
Helping Donald

Thank you all for the replies.

Dates are 28th March to 18th April.

We really wanted to fly back into Glasgow as the thought of a long drive after journey just seems horrible and icelandair seemed the best option as only 1 stop (wouldn't do any more than 1 stop with the kids) and straight forward change over in iceland but cost is the decider on route.

I saw travel up and had a look at reviews, the few bad reviews regarding them put me off and I felt puzzled why would it be so much cheaper than actual iceland air site?.. so that made me nervous but have you ever used travel up? as I would book them at that price.

Thank you - I'll check out Lufthansa via Frankfurt. Any other route advice you have done before Christybell would be appreciated.

Thanks so much,
our holiday is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Apr 19, 09:15 AM  
Link to this Post
RM2016
Imagineer

RM2016's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
That seems very expensive for indirect.
I have used Travel Up, no issues whatsoever.
Netflights are usually worth a look too and BA.

Edited at 09:16 AM.
RM2016 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Apr 19, 09:35 AM  
Link to this Post
Thorpy
Imagineer

I'd always say that the key is knowing what is and isn't a good price for your specific type of flying and your time of year, and I'm an expert on neither in your case.

That said at £770 each it's getting towards August Direct pricing, which I'd expect means it's probably overpriced. Given you've got 3 weeks at Easter, I'd expect at least one of your flights to be outside peak times and therefore should bring the price down.
Old 27 Apr 19, 10:15 AM  
Link to this Post
christybell
Imagineer

Originally Posted by our holiday View Post
Thank you all for the replies.

Dates are 28th March to 18th April.

We really wanted to fly back into Glasgow as the thought of a long drive after journey just seems horrible and icelandair seemed the best option as only 1 stop (wouldn't do any more than 1 stop with the kids) and straight forward change over in iceland but cost is the decider on route.

I saw travel up and had a look at reviews, the few bad reviews regarding them put me off and I felt puzzled why would it be so much cheaper than actual iceland air site?.. so that made me nervous but have you ever used travel up? as I would book them at that price.

Thank you - I'll check out Lufthansa via Frankfurt. Any other route advice you have done before Christybell would be appreciated.

Thanks so much,
I wouldn't rule out using a 3rd party. Often they are cheaper than the airline direct. You pay in full for flight only and you can access your booking on the airline website.

Some other agents also have the flight available, have a look on Skycanner and Kayak

We have flown varies routes from Edi and Gla, I book whatever is cheapest... via London, Amsterdam, Philly, New York...

Personally I would wait till other airlines release.

Happy planning

Old 27 Apr 19, 01:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Warkman58
Imagineer

Originally Posted by our holiday View Post
Hello,

I'm hoping someone can give some advice please.

I am planning to book icelandair from Glasgow -REY-Orland for next Easter (going for 3 weeks).

My return leg has just came on today, so I'm itching to book but my gut is telling me to wait for a few days to see if flight price goes down but my nerves are saying book. its more than i'd hoped to pay as indirect but also would love to have the relief of being booked.

Its £3081 (not including seat reserve so might be more) for 2A and 2 C.

Please can someone give a bit of advice perhaps from previous with iceland air bookings costing at this time of year?

Also, is there any way you can tell how many seats are booked on a flight?

Thank you,
What are your dates?
Villa Formosa Gardens, Flights BA/Aer Lingus
20th August 2016 to 3rd September 2016,
Warkman58 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Apr 19, 04:28 PM  
Link to this Post
our holiday
Helping Donald

Thank you for all the information, that really helps our decision, i'll talk it over with my husband tonight.

I'm defiently going to wait a bit to see what other flights come on too - thanks for that. Its so good getting solid advice for such a big purchase.

Warkman58 - our dates are 28th March to 18th April.

Thank you,