Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 12 May 19, 07:48 PM  
Link to this Post
KirstF
Proud to wear my Ears

Potty training whilst out there?

Hi everyone,

Not the most glamorous of posts but i need to ask the question!

My DS will be 3 when we go in November and we will soon be in full potty training mode as I feel he is now ready which is great but has anyone had experience of being mid training whilst out there? Im trying to plan ahead and thinking the park toilets can be far away, all the excitement and queing as our holiday is close to when i will be potty training i was wondering if anyone had any tips? Did you take a carrypotty around?

I just dont want the holiday to undo all the hard work!

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Edited at 07:54 PM.
KirstF is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 May 19, 08:04 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

If you are starting now you should be nicely established by November assuming they are showing signs they are ready now. Far easier doing it now rather than midwinter ... that said some kids regress due to the complete change in routine a holiday brings but once back home return to normal.
I'd just crack on if now feels right.
Hopefully you have an easy transition , potty training nearly sent me grey
Good luck !
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 May 19, 08:13 PM  
Link to this Post
KirstF
Proud to wear my Ears

Mobile

Originally Posted by duchy View Post
If you are starting now you should be nicely established by November assuming they are showing signs they are ready now. Far easier doing it now rather than midwinter ... that said some kids regress due to the complete change in routine a holiday brings but once back home return to normal.
I'd just crack on if now feels right.
Hopefully you have an easy transition , potty training nearly sent me grey
Good luck !
Thank you! That's what I'm hoping as there is 6 months until we go i just didnt know if i should take nappies or a carry potty to be on the safe side but maybe i should have more confidence that he will be perfectly fine! 😂
we have really gone for it this week as he was asking to use it so reward chart, stickers the whole lot! I feel stressed already the second he has big boy pants on he has an accident but im hoping that will ease the more we keep consistent with it, next step is making sure nanny and nursery are doing the same as i am! There is no easy stage of parenting i am finding haha
KirstF is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 May 19, 08:20 PM  
Link to this Post
louiseybobs
Imagineer

louiseybobs's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Mobile

If you’re still at this stage 4 weeks before I’d ask this question again, it’s a bit early really.
Also if he’s having accidents in his big boy pants I’d say maybe he’s not quite ready yet. (I’m only saying that as James never had an accident but I know how hard it is at this age)
Good luck
Xx
Old 12 May 19, 08:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Sew109
Imagineer

Problem out there if still training that he will enjoy something so much he will not want to leave to go to the loo
Sew109 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 May 19, 08:21 PM  
Link to this Post
HFJohnson
Imagineer

Potty training is challenging at best so I would not want to be in the middle of it while on holiday. If can master it soon then great but if not then I would put it on hold when you go away. The main thing to remember is that there's no rush to get it done. Both of mine were well over 3 before I even attempted it.

If you do have success before you go then I would recommend investing in a portable potty just for peace of mind. They fold up small enough to fit in a backpack and will save you worrying about queueing or where the nearest loo is at short notice.
HFJohnson is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 May 19, 08:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Elodie
Imagineer

As above, if you’re starting potty training now, I should think you’ll be done in a week (either that or he’s not quite ready, but you’ve still got plenty of time to come back to it and still have it done and dusted by November.)

If waiting is a problem, I’d either go with a potette or pull-ups, depending how often he needs to go. Even if the pull-ups made him regress a bit, you can just get back on track once you're home, and it would mean you didn’t have to worry about leaving queues to find a toilet / somewhere quiet to use the potette. You’ll know by then if he’s able to hold it in for a while or not, so you’ll be able to judge whether to use pull-ups etc.
WDW Nov 1988/DLP Cheyenne Aug 2016/DLPDLHDec 2017/DLP Santa Fe May-Jun 2018/Magic at Sea cruise Jul-Aug 2021/WDW & 2 Wish cruises Aug-Sep 2023/DLP Newport Bay Compass Club Aug 2024/Fantasy’s first ever cruise from the UK Jul-Aug 2025
Elodie is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 May 19, 08:50 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

I wouldn't worry too much. You'll be well in to it by the holiday and used to managing days out. My one tip would be to take something to cover the auto flush - small post-its work well.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 May 19, 08:50 PM  
Link to this Post
KirstF
Proud to wear my Ears

Mobile

Thank you for all your replies 😊 it was only as he was asking to use the potty I thought ahh he must be ready lets get started! Then had the sudden panic of Florida! I will play it by how he feels I don't want to rush him so before or after holiday is absolutely fine I will just have to decide closer to the time whether im packing big boy pants and a potty or a suitcase of pull ups lol
Old 12 May 19, 08:53 PM  
Link to this Post
waiting4disney
Imagineer

Mobile

You should be fine by November.
Only thing we did after DS was recently potty trained was put a pull up on on the flight just in case of the seat belt sign being on. He understood to still ask for the toilet which he did but was just reassuring. We just checked if he needed a wee before joining any queues.

DS was potty trained just after 3rd birthday (he just wasn't ready before that as he was a but lazy to start trying) but was dry in 1 day and using toilet rather than potty.

If he isn't ready then I would wait to start post holiday.