Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 21 May 19, 07:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Carriedaydream
Excited about Disney

Mobile Ear pain on flight

Has anyone got any tips on how to avoid painful ears on the flight to MCO? Every time I fly I get horrendous pain and the last long haul flight I did was to New York and I went deaf for a few days afterwards. Dreading the flight...
Carriedaydream is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 May 19, 07:43 PM  
Link to this Post
bernard301
slightly serious Dibber

go to your GP, you might have an underlying medical condition affecting your ears
bernard301 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 May 19, 07:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Redsox77
Very Serious Dibber

Have you tried taking a decongestant an hour before flight and landing? Near landing I shove ear plugs in - I’ve bought some silicone ones so going to try that this time as I can often get bad pain. Ear plugs help and swallowing love hearts they give out on the plane. I don’t know why I get it so bad and hubby never
Redsox77 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 May 19, 07:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Mexy02
VIP Dibber

Mexy02's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Something to chew and put a karvol capsule on tissue or in a small amount of warm water and inhale . Stay hydrated on the flight as well.
Yacht club / Bahama bay oct/Nov 2019 , poly
Nov 2022 boulder ridge, Polynesian , AOA and Bahama bay
Sept 24 POFQ
Mexy02 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 May 19, 07:56 PM  
Link to this Post
June8th
Apprentice Imagineer

My OH uses Ear Planes, puts them in around 45 mins before landing. We buy them at Boots, other travel shops stock them.
Stops his painful ears.
He also has his ears syringed out before we travel.
June8th is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 May 19, 07:57 PM  
Link to this Post
bernard301
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Mexy02 View Post
Something to chew and put a karvol capsule on tissue or in a small amount of warm water and inhale . Stay hydrated on the flight as well.
off topic, but can you still get Karvol? I've not been able to find it for years
bernard301 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 May 19, 07:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Samski
Proud to wear my Ears

I had really bad ear pain on my last flight in September last year. on the flight out to Palma, Spain i had a massive pop in my left ear then searing pain, then it was constantly popping throughout the holiday. I've had nothing but ear infection after ear infection since then .

I'm considering getting some Earplanes for my long haul flight to Florida next year due the pain i went through.

May be worth you trying the Earplanes too?

Pop Century or All Star Movies September 2025 Trip planned!

DLP - Santa Fe November 2019
Samski is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 May 19, 08:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Mexy02
VIP Dibber

Mexy02's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by bernard301 View Post
off topic, but can you still get Karvol? I've not been able to find it for years
Think it’s called Klear-Vol in boots now but olbas is the same stuff . Just do not apply direct to skin .
Yacht club / Bahama bay oct/Nov 2019 , poly
Nov 2022 boulder ridge, Polynesian , AOA and Bahama bay
Sept 24 POFQ
Mexy02 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 May 19, 08:26 PM  
Link to this Post
chipndalefan
Excited about Disney

I suffer with ear pain on flights. I tend to take antihistamines a few days before I go, use Ear Planes during take off and landing, and use a Vicks inhaler to clear my sinuses periodically throughout the flight. I use the EP2 Ear Planes now which are reusable, but in the past I've also used the regular ones.

amazon/EarPlanes-e...8466493&sr=8-2

amazon/Earplanes-1...8466493&sr=8-1

vicks/en-gb/shop-p...er-nasal-stick

As others have suggested I would visit the Doctor to check for underlying issues. Before our last holiday I had my ears syringed and had no issues for the first time in years.
chipndalefan is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 May 19, 09:29 PM  
Link to this Post
DiszeeBelle
Imagineer

Mobile

My daughter was advised by cabin crew to either take olbas/Karvol on plane with her and inhale as landing or ask cabin crew for some (they put in a cup on cotton wool) and inhale. She had flown a few times and had no issues but one flight on 2011 she started to scream and I mean scream the plane down, cabin crew were worried as she had went white and was going sleepy when not screaming. Once off the plane it was like she was in a trance. She couldn't remember a thing the next day. So we now just take it with us. It has worked a treat. I usually just suck sweets. She was checked my a doctor no underlying ear problems.
DiszeeBelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List