Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 15 Jun 19, 05:31 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyAce
Surfing at Typhoon Lagoon

Can you brick up front porch?

We live in a new build that is 3 years old, the front door is West facing and on a sunny day can be in the sun for a good few hours. With the door also being black and PVC it heats up and creaks most of the evening. The open porch is half brick half wooden pillar/trellis with a slate roof. I am thinking of trying to brick it all up and moving the front door forward and have a complete entrance room, this would close in the noise and hopefully keep things quiet in the evening.

My concern is that the porch is only 1m from the path, which I believe means it cannot be built on. As there is already a porch there (just open) would it require planning permission or not? Or would it just be rejected?
DisneyAce is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jun 19, 10:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Juliemack
waiting impatiently...!

Juliemack's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
No it ordinarily wouldn't need planning permission as the floor space has already been created by the roof. You would need to check that permitted development rights have not been removed at your address by ringing your local planning department.
Will need building regs though as you're moving the front door.
Juliemack is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jun 19, 11:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Feebee2
Imagineer

Back in the day people used to put up door curtains to protect their front door from the sun.
My Mil had one. They were used to stop the old fashioned paint bubbling up.
Just a thought.
Feebee2 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 19, 07:58 AM  
Link to this Post
Sew109
Imagineer

If it’s a new build you need to check your contract with the house builder there may be a clause that says they gave to agree and changes to the house
Sew109 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 19, 08:37 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by Feebee2 View Post
Back in the day people used to put up door curtains to protect their front door from the sun.
My Mil had one. They were used to stop the old fashioned paint bubbling up.
Just a thought.
My God that was a blast from the past!

My Grandmother had one of those back in the 1950's. Very much like deck chair material on a brass pole completely covering the outside of the front door. Had a tie back so it was stacked away when not needed.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 19, 09:14 AM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

Mobile

I bet the paint that ‘bubbled up’ was chock full of lead !
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 19, 09:44 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

We aren’t allowed to do anything to alter the outside of our new build for 10 years so maybe look into the terms of your house builder .
Ours is Bovis
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 19, 10:13 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyAce
Surfing at Typhoon Lagoon

Thanks for the replies, I will speak to Bloor and check our contract to see what clauses there are!
DisneyAce is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 19, 09:08 PM  
Link to this Post
vhm672
Imagineer

vhm672's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by DisneyAce View Post
Thanks for the replies, I will speak to Bloor and check our contract to see what clauses there are!
It will be on your title so just look at your deeds. Very standard to have building covenants on new estates that prohibit alterations to the front of the building including enclosing front gardens etc.
vhm672 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jun 19, 04:48 AM  
Link to this Post
Jet
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
My God that was a blast from the past!

My Grandmother had one of those back in the 1950's. Very much like deck chair material on a brass pole completely covering the outside of the front door. Had a tie back so it was stacked away when not needed.
My Auntie used to have the same material on her front door.
She lived in Bath...I remember going there for a holiday when I was about seven...I thought she was really posh😁.
Jet is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List