Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 29 Mar 19, 12:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Wossey77
Looking for my Ears

Mobile Planning our first trip in Aug 2020 - advice please

Having done DLP a couple of times, we’ve decided that it’s time to do WDW. We’re thinking of August 2020 & there’ll be four of us (2 adults & 2 children). Being completely new to this & rather overwhelmed by all the info out there, I would appreciate advice/suggestions on the following:

1) Is early/late August better?
2) We want to stop on site but am trying to decide whether it is better to stop in a hotel or a DVC rental. If we choose a DVC rental, would this include free dining?
3) If we went for a moderate hotel & get the QSDP, can I pay extra to upgrade this to the Disney Dining Plan?
4) I’m open to DIY or Travel Agent, any recommendations on good Travel Agents (we don’t want a car) & when should I think about contacting them for quotes?
5) I would consider booking flights separately & also indirect so we can clear customs early. Any suggestions on good routes for this? Our preferred departure airport would be Manchester, but would be open to flying from others.
6) We’re debating a few nights in Universal before WDW, how practical is this & transferring between the two? If we do this, is it more logical to book through a TA for both?

Apologies for all the questions, I’m trying to work things out in my own mind before sitting husband down to talk through what we’re doing.

All advice/suggestions gratefully received.
Wossey77 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Mar 19, 12:49 PM  
Link to this Post

My answers to your questions with same numbers:

1) I don't travel in August but I am aware that it is quieter later August as US schools will have gone back by then. So I would go later.

2) No free dining plan if you use DVC. I think you might be able to buy it in some circumstances though.

3) Yes you can.

4) I don't use travel agents so no recommendations.

5) I think the only place you can pre clear immigration is Dublin. I am not sure I would go out of my way just to clear immigration early, it would surely add much more time to your overall travel. I might do it if it were just as easy.

6) We did a few days Universal beforehand. We transferred to Disney using one of the hotels cars, very easy, didn't even pre-organise it. We booked everything (flights, Disney, Universal) directly with no TA.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Mar 19, 03:03 PM  
Link to this Post
2point
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Wossey77 View Post
Having done DLP a couple of times, we’ve decided that it’s time to do WDW. We’re thinking of August 2020 & there’ll be four of us (2 adults & 2 children). Being completely new to this & rather overwhelmed by all the info out there, I would appreciate advice/suggestions on the following:

1) Later will probably be quieter, but still busy.
2) Onsite is expensive. Renting DVC is a good option, you don't get free dining but you can add dining to a booking.
3) Yes, it's about $25 a day each to add on
4) I've never seen a competitve early deal through a TA that I'd trust. I book DIY. I have booked a later deal through Thomsons but that was years ago.
5) Clearing customs can be via Dublin (that route seems to be much more expensive that it used to be) or any route that lands in the US first - Atlanta is a big Virgin hub, BA can be variable between NY/Boston/Phily/Atlanta. The total travel time should be considered - why have a 3 hour layover in Atlanta to avoid a 1hr immigration queue in Orlando?
6) Transfer is easy - either hire a car or just get an Uber XL (4 with luggage will be about $30 to $50?)

reply.
2point is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Mar 19, 05:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Laughing Minnie
Excited about Disney

Mobile

The first time we visited Florida, we went in early August. I’ve also heard late August is a bit quieter, as the US schools tend to go back.

The hotel and dvc share the same facilities, if at the same place. If free dining is released in April, I think it is only available for non-dvc stays.

We booked free dining with Disney for 2018 and flights separately as it worked out cheaper. Start looking at flight comparison websites and apps.

Uber and taxis are good for transferring and would possibly be cheaper than a ta. The first time we went, we used the local buses, which were cheap but took quite a while.
Laughing Minnie is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Mar 19, 11:30 AM  
Link to this Post
Cinderellie
Very Serious Dibber

Cinderellie's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 10
Mobile

Can’t answer all your questions but having read the post and come across them recently myself my magic holiday are an agent that seem to have some good prices based on 2A 2C - a lot of offers for split stay across Disney and universal too. Start gathering quotes now can’t do any harm you may find a price you are happy with, last rumor i heard is that free dining will be announced April 11th with bookings being taken from 25th so may want to hold out til then.
We always upgrade the dining plan so shouldn’t be a problem.
Cinderellie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Mar 19, 01:38 PM  
Link to this Post
A&S&O
Apprentice Imagineer

As someone has said, later August is quieter than early August.

Flights will come available around 11 months in advance, so don't bother looking for prices before then. You can put alerts on Kayak and Skyscanner 12 months in advance, so you can see when flights start being released.

Price everything up yourself, then take the info to a Travel Agent and see if they can come up with anything better. If you book as a package, I think you are better protected though ABTA?

We usually book flight and car with Gary at Dial a Flight - this makes it a package. We book our hotel through hotels.com - they will price match other sites.

If you want a laugh, contact Virgin Holidays now and ask them to give you a quote. Post back with the price they come up with.
1997 DLP x2, 1998 DLP x2, 1999 DLP, 2000 DLP, 2002 DLP, 2003 DLR, 2004 WDW + DLP, 2005 DLP + DLR, 2006 WDW, 2007 DLP x2, 2008 WDW + DLP x3, 2009 DLP x7, 2010 WDW, 2011 DLR, 2012 WDW + DLP, 2013 WDW + DLP, 2014 WDW + DLP x3, 2015 DLR + DLP x2, 2016 WDW + DLP x2, 2017 WDWx2 + DLP, 2018 WDW + DLP x2, 2019 WDWx2, 2022 WDWx2, 2023 DLP x2. 2024 DLP x2, WDW. 2025 planning WDW.
A&S&O is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Mar 19, 04:20 PM  
Link to this Post
mollysmom
Getting Excited

Contact Ocean Florida - they will do tailor made to meet your spec . They have come in really well priced for us for August 2020 and have guaranteed the free Disney dine at no extra cost should our Disney hotel be on that offer in April. We can also upgrade to the full dine from the quick service if we wish . Have previously booked with Virgin and jetsave as well as "DIY" and have found ocean Florida very helpful and competitively priced!
mollysmom is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Mar 19, 05:15 PM  
Link to this Post
GezzasGem
Imagineer

Also suggest Charter Travel - they quoted us for a virgin flight and Disney hotel package with free dining and tickets and were a crazy £1000 cheaper than virgin themselves! I would then contact virgin or rather go in store as they more likely to try and price match or throw something extra in - my local store certainly did.

Edited to add regarding when to book definitely the first week if free dining being released - I believe around 11th April Mark?

Edited at 05:17 PM.
GezzasGem is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Mar 19, 08:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Wossey77
Looking for my Ears

Mobile

Thanks everyone for the advice & info, it’s really helpful. Just need to sit husband down now & agree what we do & when/how!
Wossey77 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List