Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 16 Jun 19, 07:08 PM  
Link to this Post
show_the_magic
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Originally Posted by Andybear View Post
I didn't use a bed of any sort. I was on the go the whole time apart when I was eating and drinking and being on the go there is very relaxing. Did the dolphin swim, SeaVenture and all the other stuff. I don't like sunbathing anyway.
Likewise, there was so much to see and do that I too only sat down for something to eat (& the pre dolphin swim talk).
show_the_magic is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 19, 07:28 PM  
Link to this Post
JDT2019
Trying for More Ears

Originally Posted by toonarmani View Post
$210 for the full photo package (for all of your party).
What did that include please?
JDT2019 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 19, 11:32 PM  
Link to this Post
SquishTheWhale
Imagineer

Mobile

Just to give you our experience of visiting on a wet day!

This was the 2nd time we did DC so we booked Seaventure instead of the dolphin swim. Rain was forecast from lunchtime so we got there early, had breakfast and as soon as the water opened at 9 we went in the grand reef to ensure we didn't miss out. Seaventure was at 10 and after we had an early lunch, then it started to rain. It was very heavy and there must have been storms in the area as they closed all the water. We saw no lightning though just rain. Sheltered in a lockers area and loads of people seemed to pack up and go but we stuck it out. It took around 1.5hrs but they did re open everything. So we got more reef time, lazy river, oasis pool etc. Despite the weather (sun never came out) it was still a great day! No sunbathing could happen but lots of water fun. And we did the aviary and met an Armadillo who was super cute.

We did see staff going around at 3pm shouting for those who had the 1pm dolphin swim that their swim was now ready. So if storms disrupt your swim they should be able to reschedule- however the advice is always to get there early and get an early swim time.

We thought Seaventure was superior to the dolphin swim but I can see why you'd want to do the swim as first timers.

Someone above gave you advice on brining a waterproof camera- while this is a great idea for the reef etc, you are not allowed to bring this into the dolphin swim. You either have a family member stand on the shore taking pics or you buy their pics. If you do Seaventure they will loan you a camera but of course the pics will cost you. We also use an Olympus Tough TG-4 as it takes everything we throw at it all holiday.

When we bought the package in 2017 it was around $250 for all the digital photos, the dvd, an album, a photo frame, some prints and a large poster print. I believe now you don't get the dvd you get a beach towel instead. If you email DC and ask they will send you all the photo package prices and details.
SquishTheWhale is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jun 19, 05:23 PM  
Link to this Post
dreamisawish
slightly serious Dibber

I have some more questions!

I saw online there was a Black Friday sale this last year for discovery cove, is this a regular thing? Should I wait until Black Friday this year to book or would I risk missing out- we go Sept 2020? Is the discount worth holding out for Black Friday?

Also I've been watching a lot of videos and I'm confused about swimming costumes- not the most major issue I know- do you need to bring them? I've seen people in the wetsuits before their dolphin swim and then like wet body suits when doing the river and snorkelling, so are you not supposed to bring your own swimming costumes?

And lastly, my friend has really sensitive skin. I know there's not really a way to know for sure- she's never been 100% sure what she is allergic to in products but some shower gels and sun screens give her a rash. Does anyone else have sensitive skin + what was your reaction to the sun cream they have at DC?

DLP | June 2015 | Dec 2016 | Sept 2017 | Oct 2017 | Nov 2018

WDW | April 2009 | Feb 2019
dreamisawish is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jun 19, 05:31 PM  
Link to this Post
SMAX
Imagineer

SMAX's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 13
Guidebook Photos: 69
Yes you need a swimming costume to go under the wetsuit or vest.

There is nothing to stop you using your own sun cream at DC. They provide their own but it is not mandatory to use it. I always use my own and put it on before leaving the hotel.

Edited at 05:32 PM.
SMAX is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jun 19, 05:41 PM  
Link to this Post
SquishTheWhale
Imagineer

Mobile

You are supposed to use their sunscreen as it is safe for the marine life unlike the majority of normal sunscreen. While nobody is standing around watching you to check, if you bring your own you should ensure its a reef safe sunscreen.

Yes wear a swimming costume! The wetsuits and vests go over it. You have to wear them in the water but when on your lounger etc you can just wear your swimwear.
SquishTheWhale is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jun 19, 07:05 PM  
Link to this Post
BaconAndAvocado
Imagineer

Top tips for DC

1. Taxi/Uber there as the alcohol is included!

2. If you can afford it, get a cabana. We got one on the spur of the moment and it was fab! Especially when it poured with rain for an hour. We had shelter and drinks. Would definitely do this again.
Old 18 Jun 19, 07:08 PM  
Link to this Post
BaconAndAvocado
Imagineer

Though of another!

3. If you have one, bring your GoPro, we took some fantastic footage of the Grand Reef, which is by far IMO the best bit of DC.
Old 18 Jun 19, 07:58 PM  
Link to this Post
monkfish72
Trying for More Ears

Originally Posted by dreamisawish View Post
And lastly, my friend has really sensitive skin. I know there's not really a way to know for sure- she's never been 100% sure what she is allergic to in products but some shower gels and sun screens give her a rash. Does anyone else have sensitive skin + what was your reaction to the sun cream they have at DC?
My girlfriend is allergic to almost everything! She was absolutely fine, I think their suncreams exactly the opposite of others, it has no nasties so as to not harm the fish
monkfish72 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jun 19, 08:36 PM  
Link to this Post
RachelE
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by SquishTheWhale View Post
You are supposed to use their sunscreen as it is safe for the marine life unlike the majority of normal sunscreen. While nobody is standing around watching you to check, if you bring your own you should ensure its a reef safe sunscreen
If you are allergic to the vast majority of sunscreens, as my son is, it is simply not possible to ensure that he uses a reef safe sunscreen. Discovery Cove were very clear when I asked them that people were welcome to use their own sunscreen and did not specify that it needed to be of a particular type.
RachelE is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List