Notices
General DVC Discussion For discussion on how the DVC works and resort information.

Old 1 Jul 19, 11:18 AM  
Link to this Post
georgemac
Imagineer

georgemac's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Hilton Head Island - General q's and renting points

We have never stayed in a DVC resort before. We are visiting Carolina in Sept and have wondered about HHI, booking by renting DVC points - we are a couple in our fifites, do not play golf, but do enjoy the beach - not sunbathing but for walking and relaxing.

A studio looks not too expensive, but there are also some very nice hotel resorts there and Tybee.

In a DVC studio, is there maid service or is it like a villa where you take care of towels/beds yourself?
Any general info about the resort - we have already read it does not have table service restaurant, but there are other options on the island. What else is on in the resort?

Renting DVC points - it seems quite straightforward, I have looked on here, seems to be about £12 per point is going rate, and I have looked on the US DIS where there are some better bargains to be had - any advice?
I assume once you book having rented points - that's it - no cancellation option?

Last year we were in Washington when they evacuated the Carolina's for the hurricane - think chances of same this year is slim - but what would happen with booking then - would Disney just refund the points to the owner?

Thanks
1997 Airtours, 1999 BA Best Western LBV, 2001 Westridge Villa, 2005 Westridge Villa (Trip Report)
georgemac is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jul 19, 12:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Lizzim
Imagineer

Lizzim's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I’d be surprised if there is much availability for Sept (in DVC) this year at such a late stage.

Reference cancellation it would depend on the terms you agree with an owner but Disney are not required to refund points as far as I know. They may do so as a goodwill gesture if there is an evacuation.
Lizzim is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jul 19, 02:04 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Suspect if you rented via Daves and the owner got the points back (DVC have a hurricane policy), Daves would ask them to give the points back to you.

You are way too late for renting points in the popular HHI month of September i am afraid - there is only 2 consequitive nights once in the middle of the month and a smattering of single nights. You need to be at least 7 months out booking that.

Disney HHI resort is wonderful by the way. I stayed in Palmetto Dunes before i even knew what DVC was, and that is across the road, so had a look at it, and it was what made me investigate and eventually buy DVC. I am hoping to stay there next summer myself.

As an alternative, look at renting a condo on Palmetto Dunes- highly recommended as is Hilton Head itself, I loved it there.
Old 1 Jul 19, 03:05 PM  
Link to this Post
georgemac
Imagineer

georgemac's Reviews
OK thanks for that - did not realise it would be so popular in Sept, after the labor day weekend, thought everyone went back to work in the states!

Will have a look at Palmetto Dunes and others.
Hotel prices do seem very high - higher than when we we there last year - comparing Washington as we are going back there - we are about 10 days later this year.
1997 Airtours, 1999 BA Best Western LBV, 2001 Westridge Villa, 2005 Westridge Villa (Trip Report)
georgemac is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jul 19, 10:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandraoh40
VIP Dibber

We had an Airbnb on HHI in May. I thought the price was very reasonable compared to hotel prices. We stayed at the spa in port royale. Right on the beach front with beach views from our balcony. It was beautiful. We had a 1 bed apt.
Just to add,if you do go there please make sure you go to Skull Creek Boathouse and A Lowcountry Backyard. Both were great. Here is a pic of our view

And here is a view from Skullcreek

Sandraoh40 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jul 19, 03:42 PM  
Link to this Post
georgemac
Imagineer

georgemac's Reviews
Originally Posted by Sandraoh40 View Post
We had an Airbnb on HHI in May. I thought the price was very reasonable compared to hotel prices. We stayed at the spa in port royale. Right on the beach front with beach views from our balcony. It was beautiful. We had a 1 bed apt.
Just to add,if you do go there please make sure you go to Skull Creek Boathouse and A Lowcountry Backyard. Both were great.
Hi - could you please give me details of this - and I'll have a look at AirBnB. So far my wife has refused to stay at one, but I think I'd be keen at HHI or Tybee Island.

I have tried the Disney HHI website - but it does not give any availability at all so that option is definitely gone for us.
Old 9 Jul 19, 07:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandraoh40
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by georgemac View Post
Hi - could you please give me details of this - and I'll have a look at AirBnB. So far my wife has refused to stay at one, but I think I'd be keen at HHI or Tybee Island.

I have tried the Disney HHI website - but it does not give any availability at all so that option is definitely gone for us.
I’ve sent you a PM.
Sandraoh40 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jul 19, 06:13 PM  
Link to this Post
georgemac
Imagineer

georgemac's Reviews
Originally Posted by Sandraoh40 View Post
I’ve sent you a PM.
Thank you - now looking at AirBnB's.