Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning Cruise Questions and Tips.

Old 27 May 19, 07:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Meepsmum
Staying in the Castle

Mobile Disney Cruise Kids clubs

Hello,
Looking at Disney cruises (never cruised before at all) and wondering about the kids activities - my younger one is a bit clingy - can they join in with a parent "hanging" around nearby to settle them in? Whilst I dont want to hover over him the whole time I couldn't relax if I knew he was missing me so would rather see if he's enjoying the activities for myself iyswim? Also I see there are different age groups for the kids club - would they be strict on this? Younger ine may be more likely to join in if older bro with him!? Any experience of this would be great!
Meepsmum is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 May 19, 07:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Dendycat
VIP Dibber

Dendycat's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Restaurant Reviews: 23
Mobile

The kids club run an open house on the first afternoon so parents can go in with their kids to get them used to their surroundings. My boys are 5 & 8 and they could either stay together if they wanted or when my eldest played chess in the marvel area, my youngest would join in a different activity. The counsellors are good at putting kids at ease and encouraging them to join in.
Old 27 May 19, 08:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Meepsmum
Staying in the Castle

Mobile

That's really helpful and good to know - thank you!
Old 28 May 19, 03:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Bats
Disney Cruise Line VIP!

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 13
How old are your children?

Basically, if they are close to the next group, then can 'age up' if there is space in that club, but they can never age down. So a 13 yr old cannot ever go to the younger club = safeguarding.

The clubs will have an Open House every day at some point for at least 1 hour (longer depending on the cruise). During this time, anyone can go in, take photos, play around and generally be in awe of the areas created for children. For the 3-12 areas (Oceaneers Lab and Club), secure programming will move to one or the other area, so only the Club or Lab will be open at any one time, never both. While Open House is on, you cannot leave your child in there unaccompanied, but you can take them over to the other area.

For children outside of the Oceaneers Lab/Club, they can come and go as they please from Edge or Vibe (depending on age). There are no sign in/out necessary so during Open House, they can stay in there if they want, or the counsellors will arrange a game of something on the top deck.

You should visit on the first day during OH and let your child lead the way - they will generally start to engage with what's going on without your help. Once you leave them, the counsellors will contact you if your child is upset (via the app on your own phone or wave phone from the room).

We showed our wizards (g/children) you tube videos and photos of the clubs to pique their interest before the cruise. We also used it a punishment - we'd say that if they didn't tidy their room (or whatever), we would limit their time in the club by 1 hour. We made them WANT to go in there even before they'd seen it - that was key for them.

Enjoy!
Joa
Old 30 May 19, 09:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Meepsmum
Staying in the Castle

Mobile

Thanks so much for the very useful insight. Mine are still little - will be 5 and 8 next year so should be able to stick together then. I like the sound of the open house - perfect oppo6to make them at ease... DCL is sounding more and more like a good holiday option!
Old 31 May 19, 08:21 AM  
Link to this Post
magickate
Imagineer

Sorry to hijack, how does ageing up work? We will have a 13yr old that's 4mths away from her 14th birthday. I think she'd really like the option of going in to the slightly older club. Is there a waiver form or anything I have to complete and am I correct to presume I can only try and sort it when we're onboard? Thanks
magickate is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 May 19, 10:11 AM  
Link to this Post
Bats
Disney Cruise Line VIP!

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 13
Originally Posted by magickate View Post
Sorry to hijack, how does ageing up work? We will have a 13yr old that's 4mths away from her 14th birthday. I think she'd really like the option of going in to the slightly older club. Is there a waiver form or anything I have to complete and am I correct to presume I can only try and sort it when we're onboard? Thanks
Age wise, she'll defo be able to go up IF there is space in Vibe. So basically, if the space allows for 50 children 14-17 yrs old and there are 50 children of that age group booked on the ship, she won't be allowed in.
But if there's 49 of that age group, she will. Like you say, you'll have to sign a waiver, but other than that, she can come and go as she pleases.
It's all to do with how many children of that age group are booked on the sailing, not how many are actual using that youth activity area.

You'll only know once you're onboard - go straight to Vibe when you get onboard and ask the CM.

Good luck!
Joa
Old 1 Jun 19, 11:22 AM  
Link to this Post
magickate
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Bats View Post
Age wise, she'll defo be able to go up IF there is space in Vibe. So basically, if the space allows for 50 children 14-17 yrs old and there are 50 children of that age group booked on the ship, she won't be allowed in.
But if there's 49 of that age group, she will. Like you say, you'll have to sign a waiver, but other than that, she can come and go as she pleases.
It's all to do with how many children of that age group are booked on the sailing, not how many are actual using that youth activity area.

You'll only know once you're onboard - go straight to Vibe when you get onboard and ask the CM.

Good luck!
Joa
Great thanks I'll do just that. The majority of her friends at home are older so it would probably suit her more.
magickate is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List