Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Closed Thread

Old 11 Sep 16, 03:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Emi
Imagineer

Emi's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 11
Mobile Costs for getting new locks put on a car?

DP has lost his set of keys which has a key for both our cars. If we don't find them sharpish I will have to let the insurance company know who I suspect will (rightly) insist on the car having all new locks and keys. Has anyone had to do this fairly recently or have a rough idea of how much it might cost? It's a Skoda Octavia. Thanks!
Emi is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Sep 16, 03:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Greyfriars
Imagineer

Mobile

If the keys were just lost then I doubt if the insurance company will want new locks. Skoda should be able to help if you phone them in the morning. Be prepared for a shock at the price of new keys. 😨😨😨
Old 11 Sep 16, 03:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Emi
Imagineer

Emi's Reviews
Mobile

There is a possibility he left the keys in the front door as he came in. Some kids who aren't exactly lovely made some comment yesterday as he came into the house about how he left his keys in the door. It's been about a week since he misplaced them so he didn't think anything of it but of course I'm now convinced he's left them in the door, they've seen the keys and gone off with them...
Emi is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Sep 16, 04:10 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Emi View Post
There is a possibility he left the keys in the front door as he came in. Some kids who aren't exactly lovely made some comment yesterday as he came into the house about how he left his keys in the door. It's been about a week since he misplaced them so he didn't think anything of it but of course I'm now convinced he's left them in the door, they've seen the keys and gone off with them...
Or hidden them, have you looked around outside by the door?
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Sep 16, 04:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Emi
Imagineer

Emi's Reviews
Mobile

We've had a very brief look around but I think I'll have a better look. We've turned the house upside down but this comment yesterday has made me really realise he's not as sure as he was that they're inside.
Old 11 Sep 16, 09:23 PM  
Link to this Post
birdiesX4
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Emi View Post
We've had a very brief look around but I think I'll have a better look. We've turned the house upside down but this comment yesterday has made me really realise he's not as sure as he was that they're inside.
I would be a bit nervous if he thinks he could have left them in the front door. I've done it a few times but always been lucky that one of us have been next in however I did leave them in the door one morning and went off to ikea for the day and when I got home the postman had left me a note to say I had left my keys in the door and he had pushed them through the letter box at lunch time.
birdiesX4 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Sep 16, 10:08 PM  
Link to this Post

To get replacement keys made, try an auto locksmith. He'll be able to decode the lock and recode the new keys and you'll be surprised how quick he is. He should also be cheaper than your local dealer who will probably employ him to do that work for them anyway.
Old 11 Sep 16, 10:21 PM  
Link to this Post

If somebody has taken the keys out of the door, I would have thought new locks all around was the way to go. Otherwise, they could open the doors or take the cars. They know where the keys came from.
Old 11 Sep 16, 10:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Scully
Apprentice Imagineer

Scully's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Call your dealer, they'll cut you a replacement from the spare key.
They can then 'uncode' your old key - that means it will still open the car (manually) but it won't start it.

1996, 2003, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2022, 2025
Scully is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Sep 16, 10:53 PM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

so these kids may have both your car keys and your house keys?

personally i would be having a word...
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread