Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Closed Thread

Old 30 Nov 16, 01:11 PM  
Link to this Post
leenkerri
Imagineer

Originally Posted by BerkshireBugsy View Post
I depends but I have it on in the background playing music and it is OK...not much bass but then given the speaker size not surprising.
Cool, thanks, well mine is ordered and coming tomorrow

Lee: QIP 1990; Fantasy world villas 1992; QIP 1996
Lee & Kerri: QIP 2008; QIP/AKL 2009; POR 2010; QIP/SSR 2011
leenkerri is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Nov 16, 01:14 PM  
Link to this Post
BucksBugsy
All round good bloke

Originally Posted by Stu View Post
The current DOT is also 2nd generation whereas the current Echo is 1st generation.

a 2nd Generation Echo is rumoured to be released in the first quater of next year
Would this be what you are referring to?

theverge/2016/11/29/1...reen-bloomberg
Old 30 Nov 16, 01:20 PM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

Stu, which mains sockets did you buy? Does the Echo work with the LightwaveRF ones out of the box without a hub?

Ta

BB
if you dont mind wiring in the plug sockets, then i'd say the LWRF ones are by far the best option and look really good too! same for their lightswitches. its all retrofit kit, so as long as your back boxes are deep enough, its just a matter of swapping them over with your old ones.

amazon/LightwaveRF...9dd37f87d2ebfa

you WILL need the LWRF hub too though. this needs a network port plugged into your LAN. but once you have that, it works with alexa, you just add the skill...
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Nov 16, 01:25 PM  
Link to this Post
mrmoo123
Imagineer

Just wanted to give my experience having bought an Echo Dot on Friday...

Yes it works well with a Bluetooth speaker and that's much cheaper then buying the full Echo.

I haven't got any of the home automation stuff yet so can't really comment on that (although it's next on the list ) but my biggest issue has been the music. I am not really a Spotify person, I still am a bit old school in that I like to have my own music library and therefore have 8000+ songs sat in iTunes on a NAS with lots of playlists etc. Getting Alexa to play these out of the box is not straight forward.

If you sign up to Amazon Music Unlimited (only £3.99 a month if you have a dot) you can upload all your tunes to that and they will work with Alexa. But Amazon music, as in a music management application, is pretty poor. You can't even sort by year for example which is a big for me. Plus, although it's only £3.99 I kind of begrudge paying it given that I pay out already for Prime and it doesn't automatically sync with iTunes - you'd have to do all that manually.

However, I've figured a sort of work around if anyone is interested.

Firstly, I had to connect the 'decent' speaker via the headphone jack because the Echo Dot can only pair with one Bluetooth device at a time and for this to work you have to pair your phone to the echo dot.

Then I set my iTunes to automatically sync with Google Play Music which is free if you just want to sync libraries (although they are doing a 4 month trial at the moment if you want the streaming stuff). It automatically syncs your playlists too and any changes made in iTunes automatically upload to the cloud.

Now I can play my music and use all the playlists using the Google Play Music app on my phone (Galaxy S6 Edge) and using Bluetooth it will come out of Alexa (and the connected speaker). What's more I can ask Alexa to play the next track etc.

However, I can't say 'Alexa, play Christmas Music' and have her play my iTunes Christmas playlist - she instead defaults back to Amazon Music. So it's not perfect, but better then nothing.

Secondly, the shopping list. It's great saying 'Alexa, add Chopped Tomatoes to my shopping list' and it appears in the Alexa app. BUT - we already use a list program called Out of Milk that me and MrsMoo share. We both pop things into that, and when either of us is in the Supermarket we have a current list of what we need. Alexa doesn't work with Out of Milk

It does work with a program called Any.Do though, which is kind of similar. But annoyingly, if I sync the Alexa shopping list with that and then try to share that shopping list with MrsMoo - it kicks out the Alexa syncing

So, while I do like Alexa and use it every day it's not as straight forward and simplistic as it really should be - well for me personally.

Hopefully it will get better and better as time goes on - especially given that Google are doing their own version soon.
Old 30 Nov 16, 01:37 PM  
Link to this Post
SMAX
Imagineer

SMAX's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 13
Guidebook Photos: 69
Mobile

This is why we need IFTTT support in the UK. Because then you can write your own routines to do what you want.
SMAX is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Nov 16, 01:41 PM  
Link to this Post
BucksBugsy
All round good bloke

Originally Posted by wanye View Post
if you dont mind wiring in the plug sockets, then i'd say the LWRF ones are by far the best option and look really good too! same for their lightswitches. its all retrofit kit, so as long as your back boxes are deep enough, its just a matter of swapping them over with your old ones.

amazon/LightwaveRF...9dd37f87d2ebfa

you WILL need the LWRF hub too though. this needs a network port plugged into your LAN. but once you have that, it works with alexa, you just add the skill...
Oh dear...I suspect I can get the purchased approved by DW but, much as I like the idea of having the replacement sockets I don't think I would get the stainless steel look passed the household design committee which also happens to be DW

Thank you for posting though
Old 30 Nov 16, 01:59 PM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

Oh dear...I suspect I can get the purchased approved by DW but, much as I like the idea of having the replacement sockets I don't think I would get the stainless steel look passed the household design committee which also happens to be DW

Thank you for posting though
they also do white plastic style ones too
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Nov 16, 02:34 PM  
Link to this Post
mrmoo123
Imagineer

Originally Posted by SMAX View Post
This is why we need IFTTT support in the UK. Because then you can write your own routines to do what you want.
Totally agree! I hear it is coming!
Old 30 Nov 16, 07:28 PM  
Link to this Post
BucksBugsy
All round good bloke

No sign of my Bluetooth adapter yet - it is supposed to be arriving today...grumpy!
Old 30 Nov 16, 09:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Emi
Imagineer

Emi's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 11
Mobile

I'm thinking of getting chris one... couple of questions if I may?

Can we sync it to both our phones? Like if I'm in and want it to play my Spotify stuff will it work or can it only be connected to one device?

Would I definitely need a Bluetooth speaker or is the speaker on the Dot itself ok if using in a small room?

We wouldn't be connecting it to lights/heating etc. It would primarily be to ask it things/play music/keep track of stuff etc. Is it worth it at these features just now?

Thanks!
Emi is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread