Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 8 Aug 19, 04:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Minnie18
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by jdndt View Post
I had this a couple of years ago. I had to throw loads out - they were in everything in the kitchen - I had to bleach out my cupboards. Now I have tupperware - flour, sugar etc stays in the bag but I put the bag in a sealed tupperware box when if it happens again I only have one thing to throw out. I put the cereal in plastic cereal boxes (just leave them in the bags and throw the cardboard boxes out.
Thanks I will do that with the cereals. Nightmare you had to fling a lot out.
Minnie18 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 19, 04:46 PM  
Link to this Post
scottishnellie
VIP Dibber

scottishnellie's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
I’ve heard of them but never had them yet. I do store my bags of flour inside a ziplock bag zipped shut since I read about them a few years ago.

Helen xx

Here's a link to all my previous trip reports since 2015
trip report list by year
scottishnellie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 19, 05:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Lindaelaine
Imagineer

Originally Posted by jdndt View Post
I had this a couple of years ago. I had to throw loads out - they were in everything in the kitchen - I had to bleach out my cupboards. Now I have tupperware - flour, sugar etc stays in the bag but I put the bag in a sealed tupperware box when if it happens again I only have one thing to throw out. I put the cereal in plastic cereal boxes (just leave them in the bags and throw the cardboard boxes out.
This is what I do , I had them in my weetabix once and now my weetabix goes in a plastic lidded container , they are so tiny it’s just luck spotting them moving, much easier to spot in flour but just look like a black speck until it moves 😫I’m convinced that they can actually form in the flour as I remember a store customer returning a bag of flour that she had just bought and opened and found what she called “ flour mites “ she was a regular customer and I knew she had just bought the flour . I started checking my flour carefully each time I used it , when I opened a new pkt I would put the new pkt in a large lidded container but on occasions I have still spotted them in the flour , i now buy the Homepride lidded boxes and touch wood the flour has been ok . cleaned out and bleached all my cupboards when I first spotted them , I’m convinced these mites can grow in flour so I’m extra careful and always check for them .
Aug 2018...Westridge. Aug 2019... Miami & Solterra Resort
Lindaelaine is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 19, 05:59 PM  
Link to this Post
chrisxal
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 5
I opened a new homepride sealed lidded box of flour and as I was measuring some out I noticed them so had to throw the whole lot out.
chrisxal is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 19, 06:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Minnie18
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Lindaelaine View Post
This is what I do , I had them in my weetabix once and now my weetabix goes in a plastic lidded container , they are so tiny it’s just luck spotting them moving, much easier to spot in flour but just look like a black speck until it moves 😫I’m convinced that they can actually form in the flour as I remember a store customer returning a bag of flour that she had just bought and opened and found what she called “ flour mites “ she was a regular customer and I knew she had just bought the flour . I started checking my flour carefully each time I used it , when I opened a new pkt I would put the new pkt in a large lidded container but on occasions I have still spotted them in the flour , i now buy the Homepride lidded boxes and touch wood the flour has been ok . cleaned out and bleached all my cupboards when I first spotted them , I’m convinced these mites can grow in flour so I’m extra careful and always check for them .
In your wheatabix 😱😱😱 I was reading on Google that they can come from the factories or transportation. Yuck!
Old 8 Aug 19, 06:34 PM  
Link to this Post
ziggyzag
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Minnie18 View Post
Thanks,

Sorry don't want to sound daft. Do you just defrost the flour in the cupboard and does it not go mushy?
Nope it doesnt go mushy at all, just defrost, though if it in a paper bag not a box use a sealed bag to put the flour bag in!
ziggyzag is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 19, 06:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Minnie18
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by ziggyzag View Post
Nope it doesnt go mushy at all, just defrost, though if it in a paper bag not a box use a sealed bag to put the flour bag in!
Thanks very much 😊
Old 8 Aug 19, 06:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Lindaelaine
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Minnie18 View Post
In your wheatabix 😱😱😱 I was reading on Google that they can come from the factories or transportation. Yuck!
Yes , I just had the weetabix in the cupboard , the pkt had been opened and I had sealed it just using the flap on the box , took the pkt out of the box to use and noticed a couple crawling on the white pkt , I binned the lot and then went through my cupboard checking everything and bleaching the shelves , it happened again a few months later so I started to put the opened white pkt in a sealed container , been alright since then .
Yes I googled and found that they can be in wheat products from the manufacturer , gross isn’t it ? I always check now , any dried grains and flour products I keep in sealed boxes but still check before using .
Aug 2018...Westridge. Aug 2019... Miami & Solterra Resort
Lindaelaine is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 19, 07:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Infinity Red
Imagineer

Wow I thought they were just in flour, I didn't know they ' belong' to wheat products 😱
Old 8 Aug 19, 08:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Alices Aunt
Imagineer

Mobile

I use Kilmer jars now after finding them in some flour last year. Had to explain what they were to DH.
Alices Aunt is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List