Notices
General DVC Discussion For discussion on how the DVC works and resort information.

Old 20 Jun 19, 10:52 AM  
Link to this Post
Dusty1984
I have Ears

Looking to purchase DVC

Hi i'm a new member to the forum . Like many i have been to Disney countless times and have always wondered about DVC. I have looked more into it over the last month and even spoken to an agent. Like many have loads of questions and thinking is this right for me.

I have read many peoples opinions, and really like many trying to work out is this for me. I have looked at the points system and how it works, my family of 5 would need over 300 point.

I guess I'm just looking for people from the UK who use this and dose this work for them, compared to booking a normal holiday. The thing is i don't want to just go to Florida year in year out, over the years i would like to travel around and would DVC benefit this or more if you want to go to Florida, cruise, or California.

Look forward to members advice .

Thank.
Dusty1984 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 19, 11:18 AM  
Link to this Post
Halowa
Serious Dibber

You will (potentially) only get one side on here, mostly positive.

We have 2 contracts (total 340 point) which allow us around 20 nights every 2 years in a mix of one or two bedroom villas. We don’t really want to go any more often as we like a change the other year.

The initial cost is a lot more now but it does g’tee you good quality accommodation. It’s not a club or anything else, it’s simply timeshare. But the added bonus is it has resale value (unlike most others).

If I was buying now I would aim for a small contract direct and buy small contracts resale to get to the number of points I want. That way you could sell one or two on if you needed.

As I’ve previously posted, it’s not worth it if you only want to stay at OKW or SSR as the dining plan makes it cheaper with cash bookings. 2 bedroom villas and all other resorts works out cheaper over time.
Halowa is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 19, 11:59 AM  
Link to this Post
Dusty1984
I have Ears

Thank you for the information. Like most this is new to me DVC, so trying to do my homework and compare to just booking a holiday or buying DVC. All advice it greatly appreciated.
Old 20 Jun 19, 06:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Shooby doo
Imagineer

Shooby doo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 12

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 1
The only problem with only buying a small Direct is the fact that you state that you want to visit other places, you can't do this with Resale contracts & on a Direct contract you are looking at £40k-£45K for that number of points and just South of £2k in annual dues! The best "value" in DVC is staying at DVC resorts, cruises etc are points heavy so not best value. Personally I wouldn't commit that amount of money unless I was intent on visiting WDW at least every 2 years, add to this the current Disney trend of big price increases for passes, food etc, I'm just not sure I would buy in the current climate- We were due to be adding on next month but are once again looking at the value in this, if you look at how much the AP's have just risen then if you add that sort of increase then it's not too unrealistic to expect a Disney pass to top well over £500!
Sd
Raddison Inn LBV '92,Comfort Inn LBV '94,Residence by Marriott LBV '98,Comfort Inn Kids Suite LBV '99Springhill Suites LBV '01,Summerfield suites LBV '03 ,Holiday Inn Sunnspree LBV '04 ,Staybridge Suites LBV '06 ,Caribbean Beach WDW '08 DVC= WLV +SSR '12,SSR '14,SSR +US Royal Pacific '15 SSR '16 AKL/SSR '18 WL/SSR'19 SSR '22
DVC Owner Extraordinare-SSR
Shooby doo is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 19, 06:55 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile

I would not buy DVC to cruise (VERY expensive way to cruise) and personally wouldn’t bank on getting into Disneyland at seven months either, it can be difficult.
Old 20 Jun 19, 09:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Halowa
Serious Dibber

Having done Disneyland (I wouldn’t do it again) and been on a couple of DCL’s. You could rent the points out and book cash.

The $ to £ ratio is terrible, had this happened at the height of the USA recession I bet they would have had deals on, but love him or hate him, trump has American’s spending money.
Halowa is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 19, 10:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Dusty1984
I have Ears

Mobile

Thanks for all the information. At this point it would be a fair amount I would pay which I’m ok with . I’m looking at 350 points,I have worked out what I was paying for a holiday with Virgin over the years . And seems it’s better this was with DVC . One of my main issues is if I can get the dates, seems this is a big topic that crops us a lot on comments . My family and I have been going every other year for the past 15 years . With our children being part of this over 9 years . We’re quite happen doing ever other year . Also I like the idea of handing down to my children . I know there is a lot of research to do, but I’m taking onboard all the information . Thanks all
Old 20 Jun 19, 11:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Halowa
Serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Dusty1984 View Post
Thanks for all the information. At this point it would be a fair amount I would pay which I’m ok with . I’m looking at 350 points,I have worked out what I was paying for a holiday with Virgin over the years . And seems it’s better this was with DVC . One of my main issues is if I can get the dates, seems this is a big topic that crops us a lot on comments . My family and I have been going every other year for the past 15 years . With our children being part of this over 9 years . We’re quite happen doing ever other year . Also I like the idea of handing down to my children . I know there is a lot of research to do, but I’m taking onboard all the information . Thanks all
What time of year are you looking to travel? We have always done UK summer holiday. Never had a problem, got everything we wanted at 7months including 10 nights in aulauni.
Old 21 Jun 19, 12:17 AM  
Link to this Post
amy56
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I see that you regularly go to Disney - do you always stay on site?

I genuinely think DVC is now only really worth it for the minority - those of us that regularly go to WDW and who would stay on site in deluxe accommodation anyway. I also think it’s more important than ever to buy where you would be happy staying most of the time. With the arrival of Star Wars, I think WDW is going to be exceptionally busy for a long time now, and booking at 11 months out for chunks of the year will be needed more often than before.

I’ve no interest in villas, offsite hotels, or the Disney value rooms - so as I was paying for Disney deluxe accommodation every year anyway, it worked for me. I also have no interest in free dining, as much prefer to eat offsite, so those deals were never a draw for me. I also love the monorail resorts, which cost a premium for a room with a view as well.

However, the recent price hikes in tickets, the poor exchange rate, Disney seeming to care more about the dollars than their customers, the crowds at all times of year , the messing around with point charts & dues increases - have all left a sour taste in my mouth in the last year or so.

Am I glad I bought in when I did? - absolutely. Would I buy in now - absolutely not.

My head is telling me to sell - but my heart is still telling me that Disney will come good again - my heart is winning at the moment - but then I’m a sentimental fool! 🙂
amy56 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jun 19, 05:49 AM  
Link to this Post
Dusty1984
I have Ears

We go either easter holidays with i know can be busy, or two weeks in October with one of the weeks being half term. I have two children and its getting harder to take them out of school as they get older.