Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 22 Aug 19, 08:37 AM  
Link to this Post
olgaandcoda
Imagineer

olgaandcoda's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Myakka17 View Post
Sorry to be so blunt but a very foolish move, this could so easily have turned nasty where someone else could’ve been at the car, robbed or made threats or assaulted you.
Obviously ok in this instance but not everything is what it seems these days.
Please be careful and not so blinkered the big wide world is wonderful sadly it isn’t
Although you are right about being aware of horrible people, Linda is very smart and would have assessed the situation before giving this woman a lift. She is far from blinkered. Just saw a woman in distress.
It’s a shame we have to think twice before helping someone.
Old 22 Aug 19, 08:39 AM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

Originally Posted by olgaandcoda View Post
Although you are right about being aware of horrible people, Linda is very smart and would have assessed the situation before giving this woman a lift. She is far from blinkered. Just saw a woman in distress.
Linda scares the hell out of me, and I wouldn't dream of mugging her
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Aug 19, 08:46 AM  
Link to this Post
olgaandcoda
Imagineer

olgaandcoda's Reviews
Originally Posted by mickey house View Post
Linda scares the hell out of me, and I wouldn't dream of mugging her
Good! Sandra looks an easier target! 🤫
Old 22 Aug 19, 09:05 AM  
Link to this Post
stupet11
Imagineer

I read this yesterday - and then this happened last night...

About 9pm, the front door bell range. There was this elderly guy standing there, with a bunch of papers... he said something like, can you help me please, I'm not sure what help I need, I am a bit disorientated, I went for a walk and need to get home.

He gave me the paper work which had his name and address on - which was literally just around the corner...a sheltered / retirement home type place.

A bit reluctantly, I agree to walk him home - partly to get him away from my house / family... party as I can never say no to people (yes have been mugged at knife point before - another story!)...he was wobbly, a faint smell of alcohol - of course I get his life story too... I walked half behind him, and it was clear he knew where he was going - maybe he was confused and it came back to him having someone to talk too.

Anyway, got him home safely. Kinda hope he doesn't come back though - meaning that he gets it together. Thought I'd come back and post, as I just thought, if I hit rock bottom and I lose my sh** I hope people are there to help me...
2012 Fairfield Inn IDrive 2013 Highland Reserve 2014 Old Key West 2015 Old Key West / Fantasy World 2016 New York / Cypress Pointe 2016 Cane Island 2017 Old Key West 2018 Port Orleans Riverside 2019 Keys / Cruise / Rosen Inn IDrive 2022 Port Orleans Riverside 2023 Idrive / Cruise 2023 Universal Dockside
stupet11 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Aug 19, 09:15 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by stupet11 View Post
I read this yesterday - and then this happened last night...

About 9pm, the front door bell range. There was this elderly guy standing there, with a bunch of papers... he said something like, can you help me please, I'm not sure what help I need, I am a bit disorientated, I went for a walk and need to get home.

He gave me the paper work which had his name and address on - which was literally just around the corner...a sheltered / retirement home type place.

A bit reluctantly, I agree to walk him home - partly to get him away from my house / family... party as I can never say no to people (yes have been mugged at knife point before - another story!)...he was wobbly, a faint smell of alcohol - of course I get his life story too... I walked half behind him, and it was clear he knew where he was going - maybe he was confused and it came back to him having someone to talk too.

Anyway, got him home safely. Kinda hope he doesn't come back though - meaning that he gets it together. Thought I'd come back and post, as I just thought, if I hit rock bottom and I lose my sh** I hope people are there to help me...
This is how I would feel. I would be aware that it could be risky, but I couldn’t just shut the door or walk by. I would wish they hadn’t asked me (but as I said earlier, they all seem to head for me 😀 ) but I couldn’t ignore them and not help. Imagine if anything happened to him and you hadn’t took him back? I couldn’t cope with the stress of not helping.

I just hope someone will be there to help if, God forbid, I’m ever in the same situation
DisneyDaffodil is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Aug 19, 09:22 AM  
Link to this Post
olgaandcoda
Imagineer

olgaandcoda's Reviews
I found a man in my street last year with a bad cut on his hand, he was delivering leaflets and cut it in a letterbox. I invited him in and let him wash and dress the hand. I was in alone and thought I had been stupid to invite a stranger into my home, and all the time I was watching him and preparing for any nasty scenario.
He was fine, very thankful that I had helped him and left!
I did get a few remarks from various people, but the man needed help.

Edited at 09:23 AM.
olgaandcoda is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Aug 19, 11:07 AM  
Link to this Post
FlorayG
Imagineer

FlorayG's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 9

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
Guidebook Reviews: 2
I found a man in my street last year with a bad cut on his hand, he was delivering leaflets and cut it in a letterbox. I invited him in and let him wash and dress the hand. I was in alone and thought I had been stupid to invite a stranger into my home, and all the time I was watching him and preparing for any nasty scenario.
He was fine, very thankful that I had helped him and left!
I did get a few remarks from various people, but the man needed help.
This is my point - almost everyone is genuine, and those that are not are just as likely to mug you in the street as take advantage of your kindness
FlorayG is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Aug 19, 01:55 PM  
Link to this Post
wifey
Imagineer

I had a strange experience walking to work one very recent Sunday morning. I always take the same route which is a main road into town. Most of the street is fine but there’s one patch of houses where there are lots of rented properties inhabited by well the best way to describe them is “shady” people. Now these people are often being visited by the police, other low life’s turn up doing drug deals and trying to flog on stolen goods. I avoid that side of the street at all costs. So I’m walking along watching the vehicles in the road , it’s a busy stretch with many junctions. I heard shouting a man and a woman and it seems like they are fighting but I can’t see anyone on the footpath on either side so I keep walking. Now there’s a busy junction up ahead and in concentrating on not missing a car turning last minute( folks here don’t indicate) and I hear “Oy you call me an ambulance” no idea who is shouting and I’m looking around and hear “ yeah you stupid call an ambulance” still no clue who’s shouting and there’s a nasty back lane over the road where the shouting seems to come from . My instincts just kicked in and said to me ( as all my hairs stood on end) RUN don’t stop or look or cross the road just go .. so I followed that instinct.. a load of abuse was screamed at me as I left the area . I didn't even have my phone to hand it was in my bag so I’m wondering to myself what the heck was that about as my heart raced all the way to work. The man who was shouting didn’t even know if I could hear him or if I had a phone. I don’t think it was a genuine case of needing help no one seemed to report any incidents there over the next month. The even more puzzling thing was the area still has a public phone box that works which he could have used to phone emergency services from. It’s beyond me why whomever it was wanted me to call them to begin with since there was no one in sight and they didn’t give any details as to why they seemed to need an ambulance. There are some despicable folks in our neighbourhood who call them out unnecessarily when real emergencies need them. If someone had come out and said there had been an accident it would have been a different set of circumstances. For a genuine person in need that I could see required immediate assistance I would have called one out. It’s hard to tell sometimes though.
1998 Comfort Inn LBV, 2000 AS Music, 2002 Spring Hill Suites LLB, 2004 AS Movies, 2005 Comfort Inn LBV& Sequoia Lodge DLRP, 2007 AS Movies. September 2009 Port Orleans French Quarter, Yacht Club August 2013 "Club Level" WL August 2015, CBR Celebrating 26 Years Together October 2017.

Edited at 09:43 PM.
wifey is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 19, 01:34 AM  
Link to this Post
Myakka17
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by janeg88 View Post
I’m upset how many folks wouldn’t help under any circumstances.

I would have done exactly the same. Maybe it’s living in a rural area but I was brought up giving lifts to strangers.

I suspect the lady was very stressed (running out of fuel being indicative of this)

Calculated risk is a good way of putting it.
I’m a police officer you’d be surprised the different methods used to lure people, make them think it’s an innocent situation etc.
By this I mean we see and hear more about incidents reported than most of the general public which makes us appreciate that something innocent could turn sinister.

Edited at 01:44 AM. Reason: Add more
Myakka17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 19, 01:35 AM  
Link to this Post
Myakka17
VIP Dibber

You clearly know her and i’m Not suggesting she isn’t smart but not everything is as it seems and can very quickly take a nasty turn.