Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 17 Sep 19, 07:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Chris7cc
Stuck in the Tower of Terror

Speed limits in Florida.

How strict are the police with enforcing speed limits on the freeway/Motorway in Florida? Do they have speed cameras (Average or otherwise).

Is it like in the uk where you can do 10% over with no bother?
Chris7cc is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 19, 07:48 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Chris7cc View Post
How strict are the police with enforcing speed limits on the freeway/Motorway in Florida? Do they have speed cameras (Average or otherwise).

The answer is "it depends".
We have friends who were done for a couple of mph over in a 70mph road.
Also, in the UK, there are more and more people being done for anything over the limit. No tolerance - especially on motorways. ACPO guidelines are pretty much ignored as regards speeding these days.

Simplest thing is to stick to the limits. Cruise control is great for saving fines and your license.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 19, 07:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Moorlandman
Imagineer

Moorlandman's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

No speed cameras (gatso’s) in Florida but the police have speed guns.

You will see more traffic police in Orlando than anywhere in the U.K.

However, most drivers tend to drive over the speed limit based on my experience so I guess they can’t be strictly enforced
Moorlandman is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 19, 08:40 PM  
Link to this Post
scooby99
Imagineer

Depends on the day, the officer, the county etc etc.

We rarely drive along a highway without seeing a police car parked somewhere in the central median; possibly speed checking?

Often, a county or town will send their officers out en-masse to target a particular road; have seen FB posts warning other drivers that those going as little as 2-3 miles over are being pulled.
scooby99 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 19, 08:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Pollita
Surfing at Typhoon Lagoon

I find they come out of nowhere, so be careful (just make sure someone else is going faster than you!)

I hit something in the road once and pulled to the side of the highway on the way to Miami to check my car and an officer just appeared and pulled over to make sure I was ok. To this day I have no idea where he was hiding!

I got caught speeding there once but I was doing about 10mph over the speed limit it was dark and I didn't see that a surrounding car was police. Don't forget that you have to keep an eye on both sides of the road as unlike here, they can do a u turn to catch you even if they're going past in the other direction!
Old 17 Sep 19, 10:28 PM  
Link to this Post
MOONCHESTER
Very Serious Dibber

MOONCHESTER's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Mobile

All I know is that everybody seems to drive faster than me, the trucks are crazy out there for speeding, surprised there's are not more accident s
MOONCHESTER is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 19, 10:36 PM  
Link to this Post
WDocW
Very Serious Dibber

There aren't any speed cameras (but there are quite a lot of traffic light cameras).

Speed enforcement there is a bit like it was 20-odd years ago here, all carried out by cops with various radar/laser devices. On the freeways they often hide near bridges or off to one side.

In my experience you're fine as long as you aren't the fastest on the freeways. They are very tight on enforcement in areas with lower limits though e.g. the towns between Miami and orlando on US27.
WDocW is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 19, 10:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Gwilspeed
slightly serious Dibber

I got pulled over by an undercover state trooper in South Carolina. Was doing 80 on the highway which apparently was a 60 (it was 70 about 20miles further back and hadn’t passed an obvious sign).

He was not best impressed by my U.K. driving licence, then got really angry when he couldn’t give me a ticket as I didn’t have a zip code. Ended up threatening me with jail and a $1000 fine, at this point I ≈≈≈≈ myself as didn’t want to go to jail (a, thinking about losing my Florida holidays b,it was a work trip so not the best)
After some begging blagging and explaining I didn’t have a $1000 in cash, was going home in 2 days and didn’t know the limit had changed he launched my licence back at me and told me to get lost but keep it down.

After reading a bit NC we’re having a bit crack down on speeding and guessed the cops have a quoter of people they need to stop and I didn’t count as he couldn’t book me. Lucky for me really.
I keep in down now (or at least let others go faster )

Disneyland 05, 15 / NYC,11,16 / Vegas 07,15
Gwilspeed is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 19, 11:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Kraken
Imagineer

As above, just don't take excessive liberties on the Interstate & make sure you're not the fastest car on the road & you should be OK. The speed limit between Orlando & Tampa even gets up to 70mph at some points (very fast for the USA).

You do have to keep your wits about you as you can overtake on both sides in Florida. After 2 weeks in Florida then back driving on the M1... holiday habits can take some time to die when stuck behind someone in the middle lane!

There are no speed cameras that I am aware of in the Orlando / Tampa area - the USA still rely on traffic police / State Troopers, as opposed to Constable Kodak like we seem to use in the UK.

The one piece of advice I can give is if you do get stopped, keep your hands in full view, on the steering wheel at all times. A friend got pulled over for not momentarily stopping on a "Right on Red" on I-Drive. His attitude was, stupidly, "[rude word] it was clear" and then went down to the drivers door bin for his wallet & driving licence. The cop drew his gun.

If your wallet / bag with documents in is in the door bin, keep hands in full view & tell the officer. Let them open the door to distance you from the door bin & see it's clear of anything sinister. Then go through the producing documents and arguing your case process.
Kraken is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 19, 03:52 AM  
Link to this Post
chelynnah
VIP Dibber

chelynnah's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 4
Don’t chance it. Especially if you’ll be travelling north and into Georgia along the I95 corridor. If it’s like it used to be it’s one long giant speed trap, with zero tolerance.

I might take small liberties here, but I never do in another country, especially in a rental. It can be like a red flag to a bull, and it’s not worth the risk.
WDW several trips as a child; WDW 1993 on working vacation; DLP Sept 2003 - Newport Bay Hotel; WDW January 2007 - offsite HGVC Tuscany Suites; DLP Sept 2008 - DLH; WDW/US/BG January 2013 - offsite HGVC Tuscany Suites; WDW/US and MVMCP Nov 2015 - offsite townhouse; DLP Sept 2016 - Hotel B&B; WDW Feb 2017 - POFQ; DLP June 2017 - SL GF; DLP Sept 2017 - NPB CC; DLP Nov 2018 - SL; WDW Feb 2019 - WDW Princess Half POFQ; DLP Sept 2019 - SL & DLH;
chelynnah is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List