Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 23 Sep 19, 07:54 AM  
Link to this Post
Gemini157
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

Claiming a flight only refund on credit card

I know I should be entitled to claim a refund of the almost £2000 I paid for 2 of us to fly to Orlando next April under Section 75. The rest of the family will be doing the same.
I paid for these with Barclarycard. I went to claim online as suggested when I Googled.
The claim form seems to imply I have to have contacted the provider, as in Thomas Cook first!
Surely this is pointless? I suppose I will have to phone Barclaycard and join a very long queue.
Advice please?
Thank you.

Edited at 07:57 AM.
Gemini157 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Sep 19, 08:04 AM  
Link to this Post
sprocket
Imagineer

Phone, but they may try to fob you off to your travel insurance first. You have two options, either contact travel insurance first or tell Barclays you dont have cover.
Aug 2017 - RPR & AKL, Oct 2019 - HRH & BC
Oct 2022 - RPR, Poly & AKL
sprocket is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Sep 19, 08:40 AM  
Link to this Post
Sweets
like a dog with a bone

Check MSE for the full guide. But you need to claim via your credit card. They may try and state you need to go via the company (TC) but obviously this is not possible.

moneysavingexpert/sh...our-purchases/

They advise the following. From MSE:

Sometimes it will tell you it will try to reclaim the cash from the company in administration. You can simply answer: "Great news, I wish you the best of luck. However you are completely liable for my goods yourself, and I would like the full amount I'm entitled to please, regardless of that claim."

So I think you’ll have to phone.

Edited at 08:41 AM.
Sweets is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Sep 19, 08:51 AM  
Link to this Post
Gemini157

Thanks Sweets
Gemini157 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Sep 19, 09:16 AM  
Link to this Post
Gemini157

According to Barclaycard's specific recorded message to customers affected by Thomas Cook's closure, you need to have spoken to T Cook before proceeding!
I hung up as I don't have the time to wait right now, but I am ignoring that part as I doubt anyone would be able to speak to T Cook!
Old 23 Sep 19, 09:23 AM  
Link to this Post
mrsnicola
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Following 😬😬
mrsnicola is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Sep 19, 09:29 AM  
Link to this Post
Pigmyhippo
Earning More Ears

My card provider told me that I had to contact ATOL. When I informed them they do not cover flight only, I was transferred to another department. They tried to fob me off by saying that I had to wait for administrators to be appointed so they could see what they'd get back. When I politely told them this was incorrect I was transferred to another department.

I was transferred four times (All simply tactics to stop you making a claim) after the final transfer the advisor said yes, they would issue the claim form for the transaction, and I should return the form with any evidence (invoice etc.) and they would look into it.

I am not expecting any problems, but will update if I then need to go to financial ombudsman.
2020 - July - Animal Kingdom Lodge
Pigmyhippo is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Sep 19, 09:30 AM  
Link to this Post
marlouwrig
VIP Dibber

I have submitted my Amex claim online. I have no idea how long it will take them to process and pay

DVC Member BCV, BLT & VGC
marlouwrig is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Sep 19, 10:06 AM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Gemini157 View Post
According to Barclaycard's specific recorded message to customers affected by Thomas Cook's closure, you need to have spoken to T Cook before proceeding!
I hung up as I don't have the time to wait right now, but I am ignoring that part as I doubt anyone would be able to speak to T Cook!
Thomas Cook has ceased to trade. There is no Thomas Cook to speak to any more. Therefore, their advice is somewhat puzzling.

It's possible what they meant is that people who had booked a package holiday covered by ATOL should contact the CAA first to claim via the ATOL protection?

According to law, Barclaycard and Thomas Cook were jointly responsible for providing your flights. As Thomas Cook is no more, then it is down to your credit card supplier to reimburse you (or, I guess, provide the same flights you paid for but with a different airline).

Most insurance companies will ask people to contact their credit card company and claim under Section 75 first. They often won't consider paying out until you've done this first.

You can read more about Section 75 claims from Barclaycard here:

help.barclaycard/broch...ction-75-claim

If you've got an online account with Barclaycard then you can make a claim online (see above). Otherwise, there's a form you can download from that page; this form is a standard Section 75 claim form.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~

Edited at 10:15 AM.
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Sep 19, 10:09 AM  
Link to this Post
Wobbles
VIP Dibber

Wobbles's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
We have had two lots of flights to claim back

Natwest - via an online portal, very quick and they ask for evidence of speaking to TC which I typed a draft of the pre-recorded message

Santandar - via phone, wanted us to speak to Thomas Cook, we read out the transcript as evidence, they let us process

Trip Reports
Howling @ the Horror 2015 (Complete)
Who knew Toronto was on the Med (Complete)
Getting Our Kicks - Pre Trippie
Wobbles is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List