Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 27 Feb 20, 09:21 AM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by novocastrian View Post
they do in our local morrisons

seriously though would have to close all sports clubs/gyms/pools etc etc if that was considered a risk
National events have now been put on hold due to the closure of schools around UK
Local club is obviously still open. No no more travelling to national fights/competitions until further notice
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Feb 20, 09:30 AM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Floridatilly View Post
Definitely 👍🏻
If he had not been boxing with other boxing clubs from all over the U.K. I would not even bat an eyelid.
Also because my daughter is type 1 diabetic we are extra careful.
The gentleman was really good at and advised that they (sister & brother) stay completely apart for now.
And should you keep away from them both as you have been in contact with them since the boxing?
You see the over reaction here?
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Feb 20, 09:32 AM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

National events have now been put on hold due to the closure of schools around UK
Local club is obviously still open. No no more travelling to national fights/competitions until further notice
really its about 30 school in the entire UK ?
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Feb 20, 09:58 AM  
Link to this Post
Donaldfan
Imagineer

Mobile

A total over reaction. I and many other people at work and on the bus I catch to and from work have coughs and snuffles. It always happens this time of year.
Donaldfan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Feb 20, 10:06 AM  
Link to this Post
coggie
Imagineer

Mobile

I don't think it is an overreaction and you were right to call 111, which incidently was the advice given out on radio by Scotland's Chief Medical Officer who also stated the 111 service has been ramped up manpower wise to take such calls.

It's people not being vigilant and in some cases irresponsible that has helped spread this virus so far so quickly.
coggie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Feb 20, 10:12 AM  
Link to this Post
archibald
Imagineer

flu doesn’t appear over night. Symptoms start slow and steady.
I don't know where you're getting your information from, but flu does indeed appear overnight - one of the key symptoms is that it happens very quickly! It takes you down shockingly fast, and going to school would definitely not be happening.

I'm not sure of which National events have been put on hold due to the closure of schools around the UK, but I haven't actually seen the news yet other than a bit of breakfast tv.
archibald is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Feb 20, 10:19 AM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

Thanks everyone.

If anyone else is concerned because they or a member of their family have a reduced immune system then ringing 111 is advised.
When you call you are directed elsewhere if you are just looking for advice (rather than a serious concern like I did this morning) my call was answered immediately and the gentleman was brilliant. He gave advice etc and said to ring back anytime for any future advice.

It looks like the NHS have set up this extra/side advice line to stop surgery’s & hospitals becoming over run with people panicking.

So although I was over reacting my actions (on ringing 111) were the right thing to do. Or so the gentleman said.

As he said, contact sport like boxing is completely different to just sitting or standing next to someone. So with the combination of contact sport with people from around the UK and a member of the family with an autoimmune disease ringing for advice was the right thing to do.

Over reaction ? Yes, probably and more than likely
But if anyone else is worried just ensure you select the information section rather than the nurses/doctors via 111
There is an automated voice directing you. Really simple and very good.
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Feb 20, 10:34 AM  
Link to this Post
maznorm
Very Serious Dibber

I know I am probably over reacting but flu doesn’t appear over night. Symptoms start slow and steady.
If he had not fought on Saturday in an area that people had traveled to from across the country then I would not even bat an eyelid.
When I had the flu, I was fine. I was complaining that no one wanted to go out for New Years (we were in Florida at the time). Then there was a thunderstorm so we went on the balcony to watch it. 10 minutes later I felt like I had been hit by a truck. I was in bed for a week and there is no way you could have confused what I had with a cold. I was not fully recovered for weeks after.

I’m pleased that you got reassurance from 111. It may be a slight overreaction but as a parent you are bound to worry. My eldest DS has a school trip to Italy in May. It is Southern but the concern is very real. I’m not exactly concerned that he will catch it but that there will be a quarantine and he won’t be able to come home when he is supposed to. He suffers with anxiety and he would get worked up very badly.

Edited at 10:40 AM.
maznorm is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Feb 20, 10:37 AM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by riversider2014 View Post
Completely nuts to keep him off if I’m being honest.

It’s basically has the same symptoms as the flu and if you have the flu you know about it...
Actually, he has the same symptoms of a mild cold. Not the flu. If he had the flu he'd be in bed with a fever and feeling very unwell.

It's also not the same symptoms as COVID-19.

No they haven't. As far as I'm aware no national events here in the UK have been put on hold?

There are events that were due to take place in Italy, Korea, Japan and China that have been put on hold. But not here in the UK.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~

Edited at 10:40 AM.
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Feb 20, 10:45 AM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
the word flu is bandied about like confetti.. if you or your son had flu trust me you would know and certainly not fit enough to social network
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List