Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 29 Sep 20, 08:56 AM  
Link to this Post

Russian Blues do have a very different coat to other breeds of cat so the general rule is they tend to be better for those with allergies .
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Sep 20, 10:40 AM  
Link to this Post
FlorayG
Imagineer

FlorayG's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 9

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by FizzyWhip View Post
Russian Blues do have a very different coat to other breeds of cat so the general rule is they tend to be better for those with allergies .
Allergy is nothing to do with the coat. It's a protein in the saliva called Fel d 1 that people are allergic to and some cats produce more of this than others. So the type of coat a cat has is irrelevant
FlorayG is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Sep 20, 11:20 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by FlorayG View Post
Allergy is nothing to do with the coat. It's a protein in the saliva called Fel d 1 that people are allergic to and some cats produce more of this than others. So the type of coat a cat has is irrelevant
Not quite true , it can be the cat dander as well as fur, saliva and urine .
Old 29 Sep 20, 11:38 AM  
Link to this Post
Mad Mark
Getting Excited

Heard this on the radio, might help
petsathome/shop/en/p...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

1998 - Off Site WDW 2000 - Off Site WDW 2002 - CBR 2004 - CSR 2006 - POR 2008 - Disneyland Hong Kong 2008 - CBR 2011 - Atlanta/SSR 2015 - Michigan/OKW 2017 - DCL/SSR 2018 - ST Augustine/SSR 2019 - DCL/POFQ
Mad Mark is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Sep 20, 12:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Pinchy
Imagineer

We had to see about 10 dogs before we found a morky (maltese-yorkie cross) that I didn't react to. Had him a year now and no reaction yet even when he rubs his fur all over my face. Tried all sorts. You just have to keep looking.
Pinchy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Sep 20, 02:05 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by Pinchy View Post
We had to see about 10 dogs before we found a morky (maltese-yorkie cross) that I didn't react to. Had him a year now and no reaction yet even when he rubs his fur all over my face. Tried all sorts. You just have to keep looking.
Yes but that’s usually down to which breed is more predominant in that particular litter , if it’s more Yorkie than Maltese then that would explain it
Old 1 Oct 20, 03:56 AM  
Link to this Post
Jax1970
Imagineer

Jax1970's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

If you’re looking for a Russian blue don’t mention allergies to the breeder! They aren’t hypoallergenic (I know - I’ve had 3 and was allergic to 1 of them!) The RBBA (Russian Blue Breeders Association) has a breeders list, but please be prepared for a wait. Also beware Perts4Homes pedigree cats; so many either aren’t pedigree, or are poorly cared for. You might get lucky and find a legit breeder, but you might also spend £1000 on a cat that has significant health issues. Recently a lady bought a Russian Blue kitten from a “breeder” who was TICA registered. The kitten was sold at 8 weeks, had significant health issues and cost her new owner almost £1000!in vets fees before it was euthanised.
Russian blues are awesome cats by the way! I’d not have another breed now.
Old 1 Oct 20, 03:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Hopefulholiday
Very Serious Dibber

Hopefulholiday's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
I’d love another cat but as DD seems to have an allergy we decided against for the time being and got another dog.
I follow Forest Dreams cattery who bread Siberians, which are meant to have lower levels of the allergen that cause the majority of allergies. They have waiting lists for their kittens and are very expensive but they are gorgeous. If we didn’t now have a dog I would see if we could take DD to spend some time with the cats and see if she reacts as it doesn’t seem to take long for her to start to get runny eyes and nose and feel wheezy with the average moggy.
I hope you find the right cat for you and would love to hear how you get on
June/July 2019: New York, Riu Plaza & Orlando, villa Sunset Lakes, HRH
Hopefulholiday is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List