Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 17 Mar 19, 07:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Debsie25
Trying for More Ears

Hi, my daughter is planning to go in 2020 too. She is hoping to study History and Politics. We also have the problem of most open days being on a Saturday as DD works every Saturday. So I guess we have to plan carefully.

Thank you FamilyGWales for posting the links, I've just signed up for UCAS parent info and saved the open day page to my favourites.

It's been along time since DH went to uni so we feel like first timers, will be following this thread with interest.
Old 17 Mar 19, 08:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Good luck - we have been through it this year! The 2019 thread has been a great help as we are not UK based!

We have also been through the Hong Kong and the French systems so it has certainly been a rollercoaster! Indeed, the French one is only just beginning!

Now we have the toughest part - the actual exams!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Mar 19, 09:10 PM  
Link to this Post
roxie2001
Imagineer

Mobile

Good luck everyone, I really enjoyed our open day visits with Dd.
roxie2001 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Mar 19, 11:50 AM  
Link to this Post
Cloverlady
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Debsie25 View Post
Hi, my daughter is planning to go in 2020 too. She is hoping to study History and Politics. We also have the problem of most open days being on a Saturday as DD works every Saturday. So I guess we have to plan carefully.

Thank you FamilyGWales for posting the links, I've just signed up for UCAS parent info and saved the open day page to my favourites.

It's been along time since DH went to uni so we feel like first timers, will be following this thread with interest.
About open days, we have the opposite problem - most of the earlier open days have been set for week days, when our son will still be in school, after this years exams but will have started next years work. Some of the open days he can attend, the Saturday ones are later on in the year and he wants to get on looking at Universities.
Hope your DD manages to juggle her work schedule
Cloverlady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Mar 19, 12:00 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

We found last year that a lot of open days are on Saturday or Sunday. However if the University only does weekdays, check out June dates as most exams are over by then, or students don’t always need to attend school/college unless they have an exam, so weekday open days are easier to get to then. Word of caution on this though would be to check the exam timetable first as you don’t want to book the open day then discover it clashes with an exam 😀
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Mar 19, 12:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisa123wm
Imagineer

Mobile

Ours were a mix of week day and weekends.
My daughter was allowed 2 days off during term time to attend these kind of days. Can’t remember if it was for open days or applicants days, may have been both/either.
Aug/Sept 09, Jan/Feb 10 - DLP, Aug 13 - NPBC DLP
Lisa123wm is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Mar 19, 02:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
As mentioned on another thread, my DD was considering doing VetMed in 2020, although she's beginning to adapt her thoughts and is considering BioVeterinary Science or Animal Biology (and similar courses) or maybe Veterinary Nursing as well.

Originally Posted by ChoppyGirl View Post
Our first uni visit is next Saturday (23rd) at Harper Adams. This new course is set over the 2 campuses and you can visit both on different days, choosing which one you want to live at as there is a shuttle bus apparently.
We're also planning on visiting Harper Adams on Saturday, although it depends on whether DD can get time off from her Saturday job. A lot of open days seem to be on a Saturday; it would've been better for DD if more were on Sunday.

She's also considering Nottingham, Nottingham Trent, Chester, Staffordshire, Liverpool, Man Met U, probably several others I can't remember at the moment.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~

Edited at 02:43 PM.
Nimbus is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Mar 19, 09:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Warkman58
Imagineer

Another one here, my son wants to do Electrical Engineering is automotive Engineering.
Hoping to get him a university apprenticeship with an automotive manufacturer to pay for his university fees lol.
Villa Formosa Gardens, Flights BA/Aer Lingus
20th August 2016 to 3rd September 2016,
Warkman58 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Mar 19, 11:58 AM  
Link to this Post
Cloverlady
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Lisa123wm View Post
Ours were a mix of week day and weekends.
My daughter was allowed 2 days off during term time to attend these kind of days. Can’t remember if it was for open days or applicants days, may have been both/either.
Useful to know T hasn't said anything about that, will ask him. His older brother is in year 2 of university now but he is no help with this stuff as he was adamant he wasn't going to university at all and decided at THE last minute to apply for his course, he was lucky to get anything sorted in time.

T will be missing the very last week of term anyway, for our holiday so reluctant for him to miss any more time, but I suppose there will be other students off.

T will only be applying to Scottish universities. We've had all the dates of Open Days marked on our diaries for ages now, we will go see them all but we are hoping he will be able to stay at home whilst studying
Cloverlady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Mar 19, 12:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Cloverlady
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Warkman58 View Post
Another one here, my son wants to do Electrical Engineering is automotive Engineering.
Hoping to get him a university apprenticeship with an automotive manufacturer to pay for his university fees lol.
Our elder son, who is 23, has recently gone back into education (Yay! after much persuasion from us! ) and is doing HNC in Mechanical Engineering hopes to do something similar to your son, hoping to get an apprenticeship to qualify to degree level
Good luck to him!