Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 28 Sep 20, 12:06 PM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

Originally Posted by louiseybobs View Post
I don't want anyone to be offended by this but if you're an avid 'slimming worlder' who constantly loses and gains the weight back, you really need to learn about food properly.

I know I've said many times on so feel free to roll your eyes if you'd like 😂

But I was a slimming worlder for years and only lost weight (8 stone) and kept it off from learning what I was actually eating. Basically, calorie counting.

I've been around the 10 stone mark now for 2 years. I've never put on weight (unless marathon training which was muscle) because I know exactly how many calories I burn when I run.
And I'm not saying you all have to run marathons, walking burns just as many as running
For example

We have a 3 mile loop by my house
I run it, and it's 300 calories
I walk it and I burn 396 calories

Because I'm on my feet longer

I rarely drink water unless I'm training for a race (which reminds me I have the London marathon on Sunday virtually) so for the first time in months I'll grab a bottle of water instead of coke zero,

I was super strict when I was losing weight though, and struggled eating take aways, don't get me wrong I'd have them I'd just feel guilty for it. But now two years down the line I eat what I want because I run,

what I'm saying is be strict to lose weight, have a good healthy balance of exercise and healthy foods. Then when you're at target you can have the nice things more often.
This is so true, I have had a lifetime of weight up and weight down and it seems I can be very good or awful with nothing in the middle though I have managed to maintain a healthy weight now for quite a while.

I look back at pics of me in my twenties when I thought I was 'fat' infact I was very slim. Body dysmorphia is a problem and I often wonder if I and others see ourselves as others see us.

I love to cook so training myself to cook healthy foods is an issue to, today beetroot and sweet potato burgers with veg! All homemade and i enjoyed the prep.
munmun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Sep 20, 12:18 PM  
Link to this Post
magickate
Imagineer

I’ve developed awful snacking habits in the last 6 months and have gained 1.5 stone, before then I was happily maintaining with slimming world. Decided last week enough was enough and started slimfast on Thursday. So far it’s not been too bad and I already feel I look less bloated. I plan to stick with it for a few weeks then move on to a general healthy diet and get back in the gym. I’ve struggled with injury the past couple of years but managing low impact exercise ok at the min.

Breaking the bad habits and losing weight is really hard. I hope you find a diet that works well for you.
magickate is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Sep 20, 12:34 PM  
Link to this Post
sam_b
Imagineer

I don't want anyone to be offended by this but if you're an avid 'slimming worlder' who constantly loses and gains the weight back, you really need to learn about food properly.

But I was a slimming worlder for years and only lost weight (8 stone) and kept it off from learning what I was actually eating. Basically, calorie counting.

I've been around the 10 stone mark now for 2 years. I've never put on weight (unless marathon training which was muscle) because I know exactly how many calories I burn when I run.
And I'm not saying you all have to run marathons, walking burns just as many as running
For example

I rarely drink water unless I'm training for a race (which reminds me I have the London marathon on Sunday virtually) so for the first time in months I'll grab a bottle of water instead of coke zero,

I was super strict when I was losing weight though, and struggled eating take aways, don't get me wrong I'd have them I'd just feel guilty for it. But now two years down the line I eat what I want because I run,

what I'm saying is be strict to lose weight, have a good healthy balance of exercise and healthy foods. Then when you're at target you can have the nice things more often.
Totally agree - SW and WW are businesses - they make money when you fail. That isn’t to say that people don’t lose weight but many just become cyclical... and frankly the best kind of WW or SW customer as they continue to make money off you. We all know how to lose weight - eat less!
No food should be banned or seen as bad - everything in moderation.
My view is lose weight quickly to keep motivated and do it via a method that doesn’t force you to think about food all the time - good, bad, hoW much, what time etc
Then, re educate yourself to maintain your weight, eating a little of everything you like, when you like but making sure that you balance - a take away = salad the next day etc.
I lost a lot of weight around 10 years ago... I have snuck back some of that and will now restrict again for a while and then re-adjust. We all know it’s not rocket science. You don’t need WW special sausage or meals, or high sugar low fat alternatives to real food ... you need motivation.
sam_b is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Sep 20, 12:43 PM  
Link to this Post
louiseybobs
Imagineer

louiseybobs's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Originally Posted by sam_b View Post
Totally agree - SW and WW are businesses - they make money when you fail. That isn’t to say that people don’t lose weight but many just become cyclical... and frankly the best kind of WW or SW customer as they continue to make money off you. We all know how to lose weight - eat less!
No food should be banned or seen as bad - everything in moderation.
My view is lose weight quickly to keep motivated and do it via a method that doesn’t force you to think about food all the time - good, bad, hoW much, what time etc
Then, re educate yourself to maintain your weight, eating a little of everything you like, when you like but making sure that you balance - a take away = salad the next day etc.
I lost a lot of weight around 10 years ago... I have snuck back some of that and will now restrict again for a while and then re-adjust. We all know it’s not rocket science. You don’t need WW special sausage or meals, or high sugar low fat alternatives to real food ... you need motivation.
Exactly, I did a 6 mile run saturday morning, had a ham sandwich for lunch and a chinese for tea.
This time last year I wouldn't have even entertained a chinese until I'd done at least 15 miles. But you do gradually change the way of thinking to being more 'normal'
Old 28 Sep 20, 01:36 PM  
Link to this Post
magickate
Imagineer

Mobile

I do agree and have no experience of weight watchers but what I will just add is that with slimming world no food is banned.
On the flip side you could argue allowing unlimited amounts of 'free' food doesn't really reinforce proper portion control.
magickate is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Sep 20, 06:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Libby
Imagineer

For example

Your comments are very true but for many people it is a much deeper struggle than "energy in=energy out". I think there are probably as many reasons for people losing and regaining weight as there are people that are struggling with their weight.

I'm an intelligent woman and I fully understand how to lose weight and how to eat a balanced diet. I have managed DH's diet in order to "reverse" his diabetes and yet I constantly struggle with my own weight.

I know the slimming clubs are businesses but when I get a good consultant they are a valuable support and I know most of the major clubs now teach good eating habits.
Libby is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Sep 20, 06:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Sunset girl
Imagineer

Loopylooloo
Depends on how you go about it
You don’t have to be strict
Just get your macros worked out and you’ll be fine
It’s no harder than doing slimming world

Edited at 06:20 PM.
Sunset girl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Sep 20, 08:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Loopylooloo
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Sunset girl View Post
Loopylooloo
Depends on how you go about it
You don’t have to be strict
Just get your macros worked out and you’ll be fine
It’s no harder than doing slimming world
I am rubbish at slimming world too! Im just a YOLO dieter, (not Yo yo, Yo Lo, as in, ‘you only live once’) I just enjoy food and drink so much and think lifes too short to deprive myself!

Our trip reports -
1st trip to Florida - April 2014 - 'Are we nearly Bankrupt yet?!'
The Kuna Mahuna Croatia Holiday 2016
Bankrupt again Florida 2017
New York & RCL Anthem of Seas 2018
https://dibb.in/13476718
And now it’s time for Wine Wine Wine! Rome + Celebrity Cruise May 2022
https://dibb.in/15427816
Loopylooloo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Sep 20, 09:36 PM  
Link to this Post
louiseybobs
Imagineer

louiseybobs's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Originally Posted by Libby View Post
Your comments are very true but for many people it is a much deeper struggle than "energy in=energy out". I think there are probably as many reasons for people losing and regaining weight as there are people that are struggling with their weight.

I'm an intelligent woman and I fully understand how to lose weight and how to eat a balanced diet. I have managed DH's diet in order to "reverse" his diabetes and yet I constantly struggle with my own weight.

I know the slimming clubs are businesses but when I get a good consultant they are a valuable support and I know most of the major clubs now teach good eating habits.
Totally agree about the consultants, my running club friends are my version of Sw or WW consultants. I only went to have a social life.

You've got to really want it to do it regardless of which diet you choose, willpower is a muscle, the more you use it the stronger it gets x
Old 29 Sep 20, 07:36 AM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I’m a big fan of Team RH (facebook), almost at target weight after 18 months on 1900 calories a day and 10 thousand steps a day. But I appreciate it’s not for everyone. No diet suits everyone however, I don’t think either WW or SW promote a healthy relationship with food, names such as Sins, healthy extras, points etc etc do not teach portion control etc free foods is not common sense, all foods have calorific content and calories in v calories out is the basic premise of any diet whether your trying to lose weight or gain weight, neither do I understand how 15 people of all different weights can consume the same calories and expect to lose weight. Each to their own but as others have said the issue is not the diet it’s the relationship with food and that for me is the biggest issue plus this desire to lose weight fast, it did not go on in 8 weeks and it certainly won’t come off in 8 Weeks, neither is 800 calories a day teaching you about a normal healthy diet.

All that said, dieting is a very personal thing and fundamentally I do believe that most people do know they’re not eating correctly, know that they do not understand the content or how much they are actually eating they just have a poor relationship with food and that is where dieting starts with mental attitude rather than what diet or what you are eating, if that makes sense.
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List