Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 28 Sep 20, 03:44 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Another dog question

Hi all,

Following on from lots of other threads, I’m having a slight issue with my dog who is a 2.5 year old Labrador.

From being relatively young (when we stopped the dog walker) he was left alone for up to 4 hours on a morning between me leaving for work, and DH returning from work. He’d be taken on a long walk beforehand, and left with toys/treats etc and was absolutely fine. He has access to his yard to toilet, and was always asleep on the sofa when we got back in 😂
Then Covid hit, and DH had to close work for 3 months, and he was with his dad almost 100% of the time. Then even when he returned, I was working from home, so he still had me.
Now DH is back, and I’m in the office up to 2 days a week, but some weeks not at all if that makes sense. So he isn’t in a regular routine.
Lately he has started being very slightly destructive again. Just pulling a teddy to bits, or making a hole in his bed (which he loves) and pulling fluff out. Only his things, but things he would be upset about losing if that makes sense. All of our things and furniture etc are untouched.

We have started leaving him to go out for a meal, to the pub etc without him, just to try to build it up whereas before we
would have always taken him, but I think he’s got into a habit with it now, as in I leave, he has a chew.

Today I got up at 6.30 and took him for a wee (which he didn’t want just sniffed around) so I took him out again at 8.30 for a short walk and he did go. At 11 I walked him properly he said hello to the neighbours etc, and then just after 12, I left for yoga.
I got back in about 1.20, so he’d been alone for just over an hour. I walked in and his bed was dragged into the kitchen, and he had chewed a hole in it and removed some stuffing.

I’m not really sure what else to do other than trying to build it up gradually. We have a utility room with a dog flap to his yard we could leave him in, but it isn’t super warm in winter so would rather him be on the sofa etc, but at the same time don’t want him to progress to chewing the furniture.
Any ideas? He gets loads of exercise so can’t really up that as he has elbow dysplacia.
I’m out for 4 hours tomorrow and I’m a bit nervous about it...
Old 28 Sep 20, 03:56 PM  
Link to this Post
fletchie148
Imagineer

Have you tried the plug ins, helps calm them and make them more relaxed
Also not to make a big deal about going out, not saying your going etc
Also mixing up a routine so not always taking him out a walk results in you then going out
2000 - Disney All Star Movies 2000 - 2007 - Quality Inn International. 2005 - Quality Inn Suites 2008 - The Fountains 2009 - Orange Lake 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015 and 2016. Vista Cay 2017. The Grove Resort & Spa 2018
Majorca - Tonga Towers 2019. Orange Lake 2020 - never happened. Orange Lake 2022. Orange Lake 2023. Voco Dubai 2024
fletchie148 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Sep 20, 04:01 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Originally Posted by fletchie148 View Post
Have you tried the plug ins, helps calm them and make them more relaxed
Also not to make a big deal about going out, not saying your going etc
Also mixing up a routine so not always taking him out a walk results in you then going out
I haven’t tried the plug ins but will have a look at them now. I have known them work for some cat owners so defo could be worth a try.
He gets walked every morning regardless of whether I’m going to work or not, but I do walk him further if I’m going to work. As exercise has to be controlled I save longer walks for work days if that makes sense.
I also always feed him as I’m leaving to try to distract him, but maybe I could try feeding him earlier, then leaving him asleep on the sofa? He’s quite an intuitive little thing though.
Thanks for your help
Old 28 Sep 20, 06:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Sitron
slightly serious Dibber

From what you have said this does sound like your Labrador has developed separation anxiety. With the anxiety being shown by the chewing. Hes gotten used to having you home.

Our Labrador girl was the same when we had her (she was 6 months and passed away at 12 three years ago) despite having our older Labrador for company, she would destroy beds/toys in a short space of time when left.

The most reliable way of combatting it is a routine and going back to the beginning again, try and stick to the same timings even if you are planning to go or do something else yourself.

When you do go out try leaving him with a kong or pig ear and don't make too much fuss when you go out and when you come home.

All the best.
Sitron is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Sep 20, 07:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Labboy
VIP Dibber

Separation anxiety coupled with the poor thing not having such a set routine due to COVID would be my guess,
Labboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Sep 20, 07:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Angcap
Getting Excited

If you are on Facebook may I recommend ‘ Dog training advice and support’. Free to join, run by dog trainers/behaviourist, they have a wealth of information that covers this sort of issue and many others. I have found their information so useful when issues arise with my golden retrievers.
Angcap is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Sep 20, 08:39 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Originally Posted by Sitron View Post
From what you have said this does sound like your Labrador has developed separation anxiety. With the anxiety being shown by the chewing. Hes gotten used to having you home.

Our Labrador girl was the same when we had her (she was 6 months and passed away at 12 three years ago) despite having our older Labrador for company, she would destroy beds/toys in a short space of time when left.

The most reliable way of combatting it is a routine and going back to the beginning again, try and stick to the same timings even if you are planning to go or do something else yourself.

When you do go out try leaving him with a kong or pig ear and don't make too much fuss when you go out and when you come home.

All the best.
Thanks 😀 I would have totally agreed with you last week, and I’m sure you are right, except for today it just seemed a bit of devilment, he must have moved his bed the second I left as when I got back in an hour later he was fast asleep on the sofa. He completely isn’t bothered when I get in, he doesn’t always get off the sofa to greet us even. It just feels a bit of a habit I need to try and break. I’m going to remove his bed in the morning as he has the sofas to lie on, try and remove temptation. I used to use kongs when he was a little pup so will dig them out.
My problem is I can’t really create a routine like he used to have, as I have nowhere to go. My office is closed, and I go to my clients office on the days they request me, but I need to work from home on the other days.
I will try my best to try to pop out for smaller durations more often, get him a bit more used to it again...
guess lots of people must be in the same position. I do wonder about those who got little puppies through this then need to get back to work again
Old 28 Sep 20, 11:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Sitron
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by mitch84 View Post
Thanks 😀 I would have totally agreed with you last week, and I’m sure you are right, except for today it just seemed a bit of devilment, he must have moved his bed the second I left as when I got back in an hour later he was fast asleep on the sofa. He completely isn’t bothered when I get in, he doesn’t always get off the sofa to greet us even. It just feels a bit of a habit I need to try and break. I’m going to remove his bed in the morning as he has the sofas to lie on, try and remove temptation. I used to use kongs when he was a little pup so will dig them out.
My problem is I can’t really create a routine like he used to have, as I have nowhere to go. My office is closed, and I go to my clients office on the days they request me, but I need to work from home on the other days.
I will try my best to try to pop out for smaller durations more often, get him a bit more used to it again...
guess lots of people must be in the same position. I do wonder about those who got little puppies through this then need to get back to work again
Perhaps try a Clever Dog video camera? (If you haven't already something similar?). We have one, haven't installed it yet as Covid upset our plans. Just to see what he gets up to when you are away. Labs are smart as you already know and will play games with you.

We have a 5 month Lab pup (did have a retired greyhound at start of March but didnt work out and sadly she had to go back) and take every opportunity to go out to the shops, school run, or even just shut the door on him and go and do things upstairs out of the way. Just to get him used to being away from us. He's doing pretty well.

Hubby is on furlough and I'm working from home so it's been difficult but fortunately our lad is happy in his own company like our old boy Lab, tbh always found our Lab girl harder work and really anxious if anyone left her alone.
Sitron is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Sep 20, 02:24 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Originally Posted by Angcap View Post
If you are on Facebook may I recommend ‘ Dog training advice and support’. Free to join, run by dog trainers/behaviourist, they have a wealth of information that covers this sort of issue and many others. I have found their information so useful when issues arise with my golden retrievers.
Thankyou I definitely will 😀
Old 29 Sep 20, 02:58 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Originally Posted by Sitron View Post
Perhaps try a Clever Dog video camera? (If you haven't already something similar?). We have one, haven't installed it yet as Covid upset our plans. Just to see what he gets up to when you are away. Labs are smart as you already know and will play games with you.

We have a 5 month Lab pup (did have a retired greyhound at start of March but didnt work out and sadly she had to go back) and take every opportunity to go out to the shops, school run, or even just shut the door on him and go and do things upstairs out of the way. Just to get him used to being away from us. He's doing pretty well.

Hubby is on furlough and I'm working from home so it's been difficult but fortunately our lad is happy in his own company like our old boy Lab, tbh always found our Lab girl harder work and really anxious if anyone left her alone.
I think the camera is a great idea actually. I had looked at a Furbo before when he was small, but like I said didn’t seem to mind at all.
We had a much better day today. I took him for a longish walk first thing (which I always do) but allowed him to play at the park slightly longer, then brought him home. I lifted his bed and his fave teddy, but left him the rest of his toys and a couple of Kong games with his breakfast.
I then just left without saying goodbye or anything.
I got back in 4 hours later, and he was fast asleep in the yard. When he heard me and came in he did his ‘I’ve done something cheeky’ grin and dance round the house, but nothing was out of place except a couple of toys from his toy box he’d clearly been playing with. I gave him lots of fuss and a babybel and he’s fast asleep again 😂
I’ll try for exactly the same on Thursday and fingers crossed x