Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning Cruise Questions and Tips.

Old 1 Oct 19, 04:55 PM  
Link to this Post
mskitty
Imagineer

Mobile Recommend me a ship/cruise line

So, I have sailed the Mediterranean twice on Marella Dream with DH and our 2 kids. We loved it so much (I know it's not everyone's cup of tea but it suited us so well)

There is a chance our WDW holiday next year may not happen and so I could be tempted with another cruise and as much as we could just go back to what we know I'd be interested in trying something else.

What we loved about the Dream were:

It's small with only 1500ish passengers meaning it was easy to navigate and you got to know lots of passengers.

It's all inclusive. Whilst this wouldn't be a massive deal breaker it did help us budget and I wouldn't want to be paying inflated bar prices.

The staff were the best. So friendly and genuinely happy in what they do.

A traditional liner with a proper prom deck and lots of outdoor space to sit, have a drink and watch the sea go by.

Plenty for the kids to do

Great entertainment team who got to know the passengers.

Now what I don't think we would want...

I have recently watched an instagram vlog of someone on one of the large RCI ships. It seemed so loud and it was all was interior focused. I dont think I saw them sat watching the sea go by at all. It just looked like a floating hotel. I really don't want this. I want to feel like I'm at sea.

Sadly we can't afford a Disney cruise!

Any recommendations for me to take a look at?
mskitty is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Oct 19, 06:55 PM  
Link to this Post
SimonB
Imagineer

Mobile

I’ve not sailed on them but would you consider P and O?

I sail Cunard by choice and the prom deck and feeling like you are on a ship being able to enjoy the ambience of the ocean would tick those boxes but they aren’t massively child oriented ships. Saying that, they do have kids clubs and my sister took hers aged 9 and 13 on one to the Fjords last year and have booked another. Also the bar prices especially for wine are high . You can take your own onboard to drink in your cabin though.
SimonB is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Oct 19, 07:18 PM  
Link to this Post
mskitty
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by SimonB View Post
I’ve not sailed on them but would you consider P and O?

I sail Cunard by choice and the prom deck and feeling like you are on a ship being able to enjoy the ambience of the ocean would tick those boxes but they aren’t massively child oriented ships. Saying that, they do have kids clubs and my sister took hers aged 9 and 13 on one to the Fjords last year and have booked another. Also the bar prices especially for wine are high . You can take your own onboard to drink in your cabin though.
Me and the kids have done P&O with my mum but not sure I'd persuade DH as mum sells it as very posh with ballroom dancing every night and evening dress 😂😂😂 and he can't get his head around how it could be different to that. They do have the sort of ships I like though.
mskitty is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Oct 19, 05:53 AM  
Link to this Post
danisleigh
Imagineer

danisleigh's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 6
The smaller NCL ships might suit you, especially if DH prefers a more casual line? We have been on the Jade, the star and the epic. The epic was too big for us but the others are perfect size and have the promenade deck you like. Apparently the Gem is nice too.
Apr 98..Quality Inn, Dec 2004...hotel Cheyenne, may 2006...Emerald Island, Mar 2013..Regal Palms / AKL / Rosen Inn / HRH, Oct 14..Cypress Pointe, July 2016 Newport bay club, Aug 2016 magic med cruise, Aug 2017 SSR/Rosen pointe/HRH, Aug 19 Northern Europe Disney magic, Dec 2019...Sequoia Lodge, Xmas 2021 Rosen Plaza/HRH, May 2022 POFQ/HRH, May 2023 Disneyland LA.
danisleigh is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Oct 19, 06:37 AM  
Link to this Post
mskitty
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by danisleigh View Post
The smaller NCL ships might suit you, especially if DH prefers a more casual line? We have been on the Jade, the star and the epic. The epic was too big for us but the others are perfect size and have the promenade deck you like. Apparently the Gem is nice too.
Thank you. I'll take a look.
Old 2 Oct 19, 06:45 AM  
Link to this Post
Melanie R
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Mobile

I wouldn’t rule out RCI based on a vlog - they do have smaller ships and outside spaces too, they are also less formal than the P&O cruises I’ve done.

Duchess Adventures! - Trip report index
Melanie R is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Oct 19, 07:28 AM  
Link to this Post
stecee
Imagineer

From what you are saying, I would say NCL are a good fit for you. We have been on 2 NCL ships, both were very big, the Epic and the Escape but we have had a wonderful time both times. They are very informal and the Escape had an area called the waterfront where it was very quiet and you could relax and watch the world (or sea) go by.
I also like P&O very much, they are not as formal as your husband seems to think they are.
This summer we was on P&Os Oceana, which is a smaller ship and had a great time sailing around the Adriatic.
'Oct 97 Days inn main gate west, June '02 Days inn main gate west, Dec '05 All star movie resort, Aug '07 Caribbean Beach Resort, Sept '09 Port Orleans Riverside, Oct'10 Tour then villa at Highgate, May '12 Emerald Island villa. Oct '14 The Keys then SSR.
stecee is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Oct 19, 07:30 AM  
Link to this Post
mskitty
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by stecee View Post
From what you are saying, I would say NCL are a good fit for you. We have been on 2 NCL ships, both were very big, the Epic and the Escape but we have had a wonderful time both times. They are very informal and the Escape had an area called the waterfront where it was very quiet and you could relax and watch the world (or sea) go by.
I also like P&O very much, they are not as formal as your husband seems to think they are.
This summer we was on P&Os Oceana, which is a smaller ship and had a great time sailing around the Adriatic.
I do need to work on hubby and his p&o views. I've sailed them and know what they are like and how flexible they are in terms of formality but he is a little stubborn in his ways!
Old 2 Oct 19, 07:32 AM  
Link to this Post
Echo18
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by danisleigh View Post
Agree NCL is a good choice if you like informal, all inclusive and good entertainment. The Jade is a nice small ship and there are a few others doing European sailings next year. My only note of caution is the cabin size on the smaller/older NCL ships. The inside 4 berths have 1 upper berth, with 2 single beds and a roll out bed. It makes the space really tight and we would find it a struggle now with our kids who are 10 and 13. The balcony cabins are not much better size wise but slightly better layout. In comparison the space and layout of cabins on their new ships is really good.
Echo18 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Oct 19, 07:51 AM  
Link to this Post
Loopylooloo
VIP Dibber

The Constellation class ships that Celebrity cruises have tick all your boxes, nice decks, smaller ships, lots to do for kids but not in the gargantuas scale of the larger cruise ships. Great food and entertainment too. I work for Fred Olsen and our ships are smaller very traditional with lovely wooden decks, and fabulous food very friendly staff etc, but there really isnt lots for kids other than table tennis, deck games etc. If it is just you as a couple would highly recommend them too though. We are evolving all the time at the moment, adding posh coffee shops, RIB boats for up close fun in the fjords, murder mystery themes at sea...!

Our trip reports -
1st trip to Florida - April 2014 - 'Are we nearly Bankrupt yet?!'
The Kuna Mahuna Croatia Holiday 2016
Bankrupt again Florida 2017
New York & RCL Anthem of Seas 2018
https://dibb.in/13476718
And now it’s time for Wine Wine Wine! Rome + Celebrity Cruise May 2022
https://dibb.in/15427816

Edited at 10:29 AM.
Loopylooloo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List